Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook expess 2003 problem

• 10-02-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

hey

i have 2 machines in my job , both on a network , both have outlook 2003

both use the same email address , because somebody in a diff office wants to be nosey and know what emails are comming in etc

now we havnt had an issue with neither of them for years and now we have an issue with outlook hanging on 1 machine ( the one that we use to send emails ) the problem is it says receiving 1 of 20 emails ( started 1 of 1 etc ) but never actually receives them and then the program hangs or doesnt respond , now i checked the memory of the machine and it has 25gb free and 120gb used , could the memory be an issue ???

we dont delete emails so theres a year or two of a back log ( which im going to manually extract to an external drive ) to free it up.

any suggestions ?????????

havin said that this particular machine is running slow in most aspects but wasnt like this till recently.

both machines use xp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Have you Archived any of the mails . Sound like you may have too many mails in outlook

You will need to create a pst file . I can give you instructions if you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Have you Archived any of the mails . Sound like you may have too many mails in outlook

You will need to create a pst file . I can give you instructions if you want

if you wouldnt mind

i want to clear it out completely and have an empty outlook email folder

Can you PM me your email address and I will send you step by step instructions

Microsoft Office Outlook® 2003
    In Outlook, archiving is a way to back up or delete old items, such as e-mail messages, appointments, contacts, tasks, journal entries, notes, posted items, and documents. AutoArchive backs up items for you automatically by using either the default settings or settings that you specify. However, sometimes you might not want to worry about all of those settings and just archive an individual folder manually.
    Manually archive a folder
    1. On the Go menu, click Folder List.
    2. Click the folder that you want to archive. In this procedure, the folder being archived is Home Networking.
    3. On the File menu, click Archive.
    4. Click one of the following options: Archive all folders to their AutoArchive settings Allows you to use your AutoArchive settings to archive the Home Networking folder.
      Archive this folder and all the subfolders Allows you to archive the Home Networking folder using the options available in the Archive dialog box.
      default.aspx?AssetID=ZA011216161033
    5. In the Archive items older than list, choose a date from the date picker. In this example, items in the folder created before January 19, 2004 are archived.
    6. To include items that you previously selected not to archive, select the Include items with "Do not AutoArchive" checked check box. Note To see if items have the Do not AutoArchive this item check box selected, open the item. On the File menu, click Properties. On the General tab, verify that the Do not AutoArchive this item check box is selected.
    7. To archive the folder to a file other than the default Archive.pst file, click Browse, and then specify a different file name, such as Home Networking Archive.pst, and a location, such as My Documents. Note The default location for Archive.pst is C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\. A Personal Folders file (.pst) is an Outlook data file that stores items such as e-mail messages, contacts, calendar data, tasks, and notes.
    8. Click OK. The items in the folder are moved out of the folder and into the .pst file that you specified. To view the folder items again, open the .pst file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

outlook express doesn't support PST files.

Was the original machine Outlook and the new machine outlook express.

What is the mail server? Exchange, Gmail, Hotmail something else.

The could be pleanty of ways to look at this but need clearer background information.

• Advertisement

outlook express doesn't support PST files.

Was the original machine Outlook and the new machine outlook express.

What is the mail server? Exchange, Gmail, Hotmail something else.

The could be pleanty of ways to look at this but need clearer background information.

always outlook express

we have no mail server , its an eircom email addy comming in on outlook express

now the second machine has the exact same settings etc , but no problem

recreate the profile on the first machine, (the outlook express profile, not windows profile) sound like either 1 big email is holding things up or the outlook express database has corrupted.

if all of the email is saved on the eircom server (ie email set never to be removed from server) you should be fine, but because you'll have two clients recieving them you might not get the same mails in each mailbox unless they're moth set up to use MAPI instead of POP3. With POP3 it will be a first come first served basis (ie the mail on the server should be marked as downloaded)

my mistake its Office Outlook 2003

it wont even let me delete emails , just hangs and doesnt respond

just checked the actual eircom server , there's 96 emails their and when i open outlook it says receiving 1 of 51 so looks like they should be on the server

id love to delete the mail account ( first by taking down the settings first and then ) re open a new one

sounds like a corrupt PST file so.

click start > run

paste the following in there (incl. quote marks):
    "c:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\application data"

find the file extension that looks like .pst and rename it.
    open up outlook and your email should all download again.

ok i did that

now all it brings up is a few folders and none names .pst

just application folders

• Advertisement

whoops, then go to microsoft > outlook

sorry

i just have 3 folders

archive is an office data file ( 265kb )
    extend is a .dat file ( 1kb )
    outlook is an office data file ( 3.78gb )

rename the office data file. then try open outlook

rename it to anything in particular ???

i have my own outlook 2003 no connected up . and found my outlook.pst file , should i copy that file to that folder and see ???? if the re-naming doesnt work

no just rename it anything. the whole point is to create a new file.

but i have 2 data files

1 is 276kb in size and 1 is 3.78gb

which one do i change ?????

the 3.78 one

ok i renamed it

and when i opened it up i got a message with the long directory saying cannot open as outlook.pst could not be found

ok, its set up wit a pst instead of an OST, rename that file back and open again

if that doesn;t work i would suggest re-creating the outloook profile:

control panel > mail

• Advertisement

back to same place i was before ,wont work

re-creat the whole outlook profile

start > settings > mail.

Delete the old profile and create a new one with the same settings.

if that doesn;t work i would suggest re-creating the outloook profile:

control panel > mail

i clicked on show profiles

gives me 4 options

1.add
    2.remove
    3.properties
    4.copy

ok set up a new profile

but because outlook wasnt closed properly i had to open it in safe-mode

how do i open it in normal mode ???????????

close it and re-open it

when it asks about safe mode click no

ok seems to be fine now

how i access old emails then ??

they should just pull in if you've got them set to save on the server. do a send a nd reccieve

i mean the history of old saved emails in the outlook inbox ?

go to file > open > outlook data file and then open the file that was 3.7GB

"C:\documents and settings\%username%\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst"

• Advertisement

Did it all work out for you

Advertisement