Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Idea

• 10-02-2010 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I was tossing and turning in the bed last night because there was an idea that I had...and I couldn't get rid of it. In truth, I actually thought it was fantastic. In the shower this morning I didn't think it was so good however.

Nevertheless, I'll throw it out there anyway.

Some will know who I am and others won't. I do some promoting and marketing for some venues in Waterford, wexford and Kilkenny. Not a while lot...but a bit. I get about 2-3 phone calls a day from bands looking for gigs...there really are more bands than ever before.

I believe, and have done for a long time that the live scene in waterford, whether it be live bands, live comedians, live shows...all of that stuff...is dying. People are no longer interested in coming out.

So...my idea...was...a campaign...entitled:

"Keep Waterford Live"

It was supposed to be a play on the words..as in keep the city alive and also keep the entertainment as live as possible (I'm a DJ myself so I'm not having a dig at them...I think there will always be a place for DJS because they make financial sense)

I started thinking about a few things then...TURN OFF & TUNE IN as in Turn off Coronation Street, Eastenders, X Factor, Facebook...all of that stuff and (okay, maybe tune in doesn't really fit here...but I'll think of something snappier with time)...people don't have to drink alcohol when they go out...

Okay...I realise that this is a bit all over the place but Waterford is in the bottom two counties in Ireland for live music promotion and turn out (the other is Sligo) and I think this has to change.

There was a time when thursdays- sundays were buzzing in the city....thursdays are dead now and Fridays and Sundays are on their last legs. Saturdays are ok, simply because it's saturday...but nowhere near what it was like going back a few years.

A "Keep Waterford Live" campaign would only work though if the bar owners got together (for the first time ever) and plotted a way that they could work together to get people out more...enhance the entertainment...regulate the prices...

What ya think? A waste of time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

great idea, getting bars to play ball might be tough but since its so quiet anyway they might be happy to try something. Maybe like a live music weekend like sproai would do a job too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

sounds good. Funny one about Waterford and live music, never quite been able to figure that one out. I've never had anything to do with promoting bands/venues but have been involved in creating/performing music (mostly outside of Waterford) for many years and always found it hard to reconcile how bands that will fill a decent venue elsewhere can come here and play to an almost empty house.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Ziedth. wrote: »
    great idea, getting bars to play ball might be tough but since its so quiet anyway they might be happy to try something. Maybe like a live music weekend like sproai would do a job too.
    Thats a great idea , maybe some weekend in the summer , im sure you could get some drink sponsor to promote it aswell , the acts could range from all the local bands the well known ones to the new ones and maybe get a couple high profile Irish acts for puplicity like The Coronas , The Blizzards , Bell X1 and the likes !

thats my thought exactly, maybe you should pick you battle abouttobebanned, it would take some serious marketing and money to get a night in the week every week. If you start somewhat small with a weekend in the summer like what lets be aving it said you'd raise awareness which could lead into your idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Ziedth. wrote: »
    thats my thought exactly, maybe you should pick you battle abouttobebanned, it would take some serious marketing and money to get a night in the week every week. If you start somewhat small with a weekend in the summer like what lets be aving it said you'd raise awareness which could lead into your idea.

You might be right there Ziedth. I personally prefer the music side of Spraoi myself and it kind of annoys me that it mostly takes place late hours in pubs.

@abouttobebanned: I'm sure with the contacts and background you have, you could make something like this happen. I'm not really sure what you mean by your original idea though; maybe it's just not fully formed yet so doesn't come across very clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well every band, without exception, that play in waterford are sound heads and will always work with you on price etc if they are treated fairly. For something like this they'd even do a free gig if the timing allowed it.

And Nkay...you're spot on...I'm not 100% sure what to do yet...

But I threw a quick and crude logo together lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ah tis yourself supes. Good thinking but how do ya plan on getting it going?

lol that pic is godawful...if any designers wanna throw their hands to something by all means do!

Seany...I don't know..

First thing's first I'll be writing an article for the munster next week where I'll be calling on all the pub owners to come together and try and sort this mess of a town out. Price regulation being top of that list. Whether it could every happen I don't know...but people need to do something...charging 5.30 a pint is no incentive for people to leave their houses.

The bands want to gig..they'll be behind this. (If there's a decent logo..haha it's all about a good logo)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

i think thats a very good idea abouttobebanned . but the thing i hate about playing in waterford is that evryone at the gig think they can slate you for playing such and such a song even though they wouldnt know one end of a guitar from another. there is a click in waterford and you never see any bands from the " country " playing in town. and its not that they are no good. its that the " townies " have it sown up. so then new bands stop looking for gigs in there. two bands i can think of are " the rocky racoons" (kilmac) and " fuse" (portlaw) . and there a couple of bands in carrick too. none of them the best musicians but they are great entertainment. and i think in a band you need a bit of both. anyway, hope you get to introduce a few new bands to the " townies" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Go away with yer townie crap. I hates that name lol. I know what your on about though in all fairness. I always see people whinging about bands. Personally I enjoy every band. I play the guitar meself but would never get up in front of people and play so wh admire the lads who do it.

• Advertisement

lol that pic is godawful...if any designers wanna throw their hands to something by all means do!

Seany...I don't know..

First thing's first I'll be writing an article for the munster next week where I'll be calling on all the pub owners to come together and try and sort this mess of a town out. Price regulation being top of that list. Whether it could every happen I don't know...but people need to do something...charging 5.30 a pint is no incentive for people to leave their houses.

The bands want to gig..they'll be behind this. (If there's a decent logo..haha it's all about a good logo)

here here,

You have the full backing of the 20 or so of us who post here :)

In regards the LOGO, I'm sure you could pull in a graphic designer for advertising. If not i'll throw one up using MS paint :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MrLuke

I'd try gather as much support from bands, businesses, arts groups, organisations, people in general etc before going to the Munster. Writing an article for a local newspaper will not have the same effect as putting together an attractive well thought out package/idea with plenty of local support that'll get the pubs/clubs on board.

I also don't know how far you would get with attacking the price of drink first, since most establishments will probably have far less revenues than they did 2 years ago and see drink as their main source of income esp. if they are being asked to invest in bands. maybe get everyone on board and then try push for slightly cheaper drink. Although could this be construed as a cartel?

Not trying to be negative, just constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

I was tossing and turning in the bed last night because there was an idea that I had...and I couldn't get rid of it. In truth, I actually thought it was fantastic. In the shower this morning I didn't think it was so good however.

Some will know who I am and others won't. I do some promoting and marketing for some venues in Waterford, wexford and Kilkenny. Not a while lot...but a bit. I get about 2-3 phone calls a day from bands looking for gigs...there really are more bands than ever before.

I believe, and have done for a long time that the live scene in waterford, whether it be live bands, live comedians, live shows...all of that stuff...is dying. People are no longer interested in coming out.

"Keep Waterford Live"

It was supposed to be a play on the words..as in keep the city alive and also keep the entertainment as live as possible (I'm a DJ myself so I'm not having a dig at them...I think there will always be a place for DJS because they make financial sense)

I started thinking about a few things then...TURN OFF & TUNE IN as in Turn off Coronation Street, Eastenders, X Factor, Facebook...all of that stuff and (okay, maybe tune in doesn't really fit here...but I'll think of something snappier with time)...people don't have to drink alcohol when they go out...

Okay...I realise that this is a bit all over the place but Waterford is in the bottom two counties in Ireland for live music promotion and turn out (the other is Sligo) and I think this has to change.

There was a time when thursdays- sundays were buzzing in the city....thursdays are dead now and Fridays and Sundays are on their last legs. Saturdays are ok, simply because it's saturday...but nowhere near what it was like going back a few years.

A "Keep Waterford Live" campaign would only work though if the bar owners got together (for the first time ever) and plotted a way that they could work together to get people out more...enhance the entertainment...regulate the prices...

Make sure a certain short fella doesnt rob your idea!!! You know who I mean!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

"Keep Waterford Live"

Have you thought about holding a free all-day / all-weekend outdoor event where there would be decent footfall. A festival of local bands. I'm sure most bands would jump at the chance to showcase themselves and build a fan-base that might follow them to the pubs and clubs? As mentioned already, a drink sponsor would enhance it.

I'm personally not into seeing local bands, but if there was a publicised event going on in the park, I'd take a stroll down and have a look. I might only catch one or two bands, but that's a hell of a lot more than I catch now!

Spraoi might be willing to help you out for something like this.

I'm saying all of this with the assumption that there's nothing of this nature already happening that I'm completely oblivious to! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Have you thought about registering a domain and starting a fully interactive site to generate a buzz about events. Unlike a crap, incomplete, outsider, advertising only site like Whazon, you could do something grassroots and inclusive of everything. Through a listings section, blog, reviews section, twitter, facebook, forum, etc., and you could end up getting tons of people onto a live circuit in Waterford. These things are always great when they're organised by locals into the scene rather than businessmen based in Cork or wherever.

I'm forever missing things because I get caught up in other things and miss dates. If there was a one stop site for events in Waterford, I'd keep open a browser tab and check back regularly. And there's always feeds, twitter, mailing lists, etc. Could be big!

A website could be very effective and is relatively cheap to run. I'm sure there are people on boards.ie and elsewhere who would also be interested in getting involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If there was a one stop site for events in Waterford, I'd keep open a browser tab and check back regularly. And there's always feeds, twitter, mailing lists, etc. Could be big!

Waterford Chamber have a great little feed...
    http://www.waterfordchamber.com/index.php/going-out-in-waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

AdMMM wrote: »
    Waterford Chamber have a great little feed...
    http://www.waterfordchamber.com/index.php/going-out-in-waterford

Something a bit more grassroots and social might create a bit more of a buzz though...

Undoubtedly, I was just saying that to keep you tiding over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭AngelinaJolie

Speakeasy Sessions are on tonight in Murph's on the Quay - might be along the lines of what your suggesting?

I must apologise because I'm not really suggesting anything specific...just some ramblings...

I'll have another think about it and get back to yiz.

• Advertisement

Ok...

I've been thinking a lot about this and have come up with a few things.

How many people from waterford are on facebook? A lot is the answer... How many of these people would be willing to go out for a night out say once a week. Probably a lot as well. So...we're agreed that there are a lot of people out there with internet access and the desire to go out every now and again.

Ok...Part Two.

People are willing to go out, but they need people to go out with and they need a place to go where they feel comfortable.

In the past year...here is a small list of things that some venues around the city have done to try and entice the punters:

Dignity - 2 Unlimited, Bewitched, strippers etc. Camp entertainment for a campo friendly audience.

Rubys - Room 2 at Rubys - some world class Djs on Friday nights playing house music. Would appeal to many. The club plays a mix of chart, dance, R&B and Rock. Bit young on saturday nights but I think we've established that only young people pay door charges these days. Varied ages on all the other nights.

Ruby Lounge - Live bands 7 nights a week. Says it all really.

Muldoons - Limited opening hours these days. Oldies music from a DJ...seems to be just waiting either to die or get a make over. Used to be a superb venue in the town with live music, great clientele, and not such a bad smell.

Oxygen - Think it only opens on saturday nights now. Plays mainstream music to a decent enough crowd nowadays i think. has a great stage there too so could play host to any number of gigs.

Harveys - Students midweek and a varied clientele at the weekends. Music policy is geared almost exclusively towards women, drink is dearest in town. But streets ahead of other venues cosmetically. Very popular smoking area as well.

Masons - Recently launched as a Sports Bar. The best venue in town to watch a big match...can seem a nit too big for smaller matches. Live music on Sundays...DJs 6 nights a week...dancers on a friday night...2 floors...pool tables, soccer tables and dart boards. If it was in another city it would be the most popular venue in town. Waterford people are a little tired of it maybe...I dunno.

Revolution - Great food during the day - the only real cosmopolitan bar we have in the town. A girly bar/ Young bar in many people's minds. The basement bar is ideal for functions and has lately began to try and do the Room 2 at Rubys thing with the house music. It's a little oxymoronic if you ask me...the venue just doesn't suit. But people have to try new things.

ESCAPE - Nice looking disco bar...couldn't really call it a bar. Can't comment too much on the music policy cause I don't really know what it is. Great chill out bar upstairs and makes you think about what Flash could do if he had a space like Muldoons or Masons...done as well as can be expected with such a tight space and deserves a lot of credit for trying something new.

Kazbar - I love the food in there and can often be found in there during the day. Wouldn't go near it personally at night because the lay out of the bar means that if it's any way busy you're going to be bumped by people going to the toilet all night long. Has 3 floors though, and has made a great comeback in recent years to be a top bar in waterford. Live bands every week and resident DJ playing safe enough hen night friendly music.

Geoffs - Geoffs is popular because there are no flashing lights and 18 year old girls in short skirts running around spilling their cocktail all over the place. For the centre of town, it's rare to have this pleasure. The music in there can be too loud at times, and can also sound like 3 knackers in a room with spoons and synths. (Depending on the barman...sometimes we might get lucky and hear some Tom Waits) To some Geoffs is a bit pretentious...but I don't mind that...it is what is is, and it doesn't give a sh it about anyone else. A lot like it's clientele maybe? I dunno. No entertainment apart from the freaky ass bar men's taste in music. No TV... "Either you love us or you don't...we don't care"

Wacky Apple - I dunno...eh...Wouldn't be somewhere I'd go. Maybe someone else can comment here.

After that...we are left to mourn the passing of the old stand and egans. The gingerman is a bit lost where it is but does okay with it's day trade.

Ballybricken - All the bars up there take turns with the live bands they have and also with the customers they have. Seriously...they may go to neds from 6-9...alfies from 9-12...etcetera...

Ok this post is getting a bit long and I'm aware I've left out some bars...but we have to move on...

What I'm suggesting is...A site just for waterford...maybe even a social networking site.

Now...by me posting it up here...everyone is aware that this is my idea...so don't go stealing it lol

A social entertainment networking site for waterford...

Here's how it would go down...

People would register, and like facebook they could say what they're up to for the weekend. Bars can be registered and they can update what entertainment they have coming up..people can comment if they'll go or not...or maybe find some of their mates to go with.

There will also be a "lounge" where punters can talk to the bar men (The bar men will be real bar men or bar owners) Complain about prices and whatever ya want here.

A helluva lot of work would have to go into it...but....it would be a first for the country, possibly the world and would maybe be the kick in the arse that the city needs.

Thoughts?!

great idea in my opinion. For a minute i thought you were gonna start a group on facebook, I would have called for a banning :)

Great and honest rundown on the bars. 2 thoughts though, first is obvious Geoffs Is full of twats and second thw wacky apple is prob the scummiest place in town.

Alot of work would have to go into it but i'm sure few heads from the fourm here could give you a hand in they expert fields. I manage a shop so i'll sell you powerade :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Geoffs...
    The music in there can be too loud at times, and can also sound like 3 knackers in a room with spoons and synths.

Thoughts?!

Absolutely the best description of some the "music" in there. :D

Sounds like a great plan but it would require a lot of work to get it going, I'd imagine. But it'd be great to have a one-stop shop to find out what's going on in Waterford. And you could obviously have the likes of Garter Lane, Waterford Film For All, Theatre Royal etc involved as well so it encompasses all types of activites within the city, not just nights out.

What I'm suggesting is...A site just for waterford...maybe even a social networking site.

Now...by me posting it up here...everyone is aware that this is my idea...so don't go stealing it lol

Oh dear. Now everyone is going to think I'm robbing your idea! A dedicated social networking site wouldn't work though. Maybe a few years a go when people were spread across a variety of sites but now Facebook is the de facto site for people to be on and any other sites are seen by the majority as an inconvenience.

But just about every site where you interact with people is a social networking site.

But just about every site where you interact with people is a social networking site.

Yeah you don't mean it as a competitor to Facebook or anything like that. More an information resource.

Exactly...but as merlante suggested...an interactive one.

Advertisement