Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The huge thread on oil extractor pumps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Used the lidl pump in my car last November and it was great. Easy peasy and makes the job super easy. For me at least there was no jacking of the car at all, just warm the engine a bit, turn it off and get going with the pump. While it's doing it's thing, pop out the oil and air filter and replace. By the time it's done I have both filters changed and the new ones in. Then all that's left is putting the new oil in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

w211 wrote: »

EDIT:I find from China the ptfe (teflon) tube for that purpose.

Link pls? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Link pls? :D
    May be the tflon are bit over kill upgrade. About 3eur per meter on aliexpress if you like to get more rigid one. Also I discovered the good option to use the reverse osmosis hose, it is only about 0.7eur per meter.

EDIT: I like to open and repair items. This time I discovered that pump gears does not have a single gram grease on inside. I used little advanced synthetic grease for plastic gear. Do not care about warranty, very cheap pump

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

my3cents wrote: »
    I use this vacuum pump https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Manual-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B000RA16CO/ more expensive than the Lidl one but does a good job with little messing about.
    I use this vacuum pump https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Manual-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B000RA16CO/ more expensive than the Lidl one but does a good job with little messing about.
    That's the exact one I've had for years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Every garage now uses these pumps,do it yourself and save money,pays for itself quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I have a sealey vacuum pump,and it has saved me hundreds the last few years, every second service it's important to change the oil filter,but I use this to change all oils( used to have a hybrid so needed to change the tranny oil every year also,go for it anyone wondering about it

You don't change the filter with every oil change???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Every garage now uses these pumps,do it yourself and save money,pays for itself quickly

No they don't because once you have a hydraulic lift the whole process is far easier to do from underneath the car.

No they don't because once you have a hydraulic lift the whole process is far easier to do from underneath the car.
    It can be reasonable to use the pump on garages too if the garage have enough space for extra cars and the oil filter have a easy access. By that way the garage can use 10 cars and 10 pumps together and can do much faster oil change than standard way. The pumping need way less labor. The standard way the plug removal needs to do extra work and needs the new seal too. If the oil plug torque are out from spec, it can ruin the engine (oil leaking out). This is the dream only, because so many cars oil filters are accessible from under panel. Even if garage have only limited numbers of easy accessible oil filters, it can save for them load of time. The mechanic can to do on same time something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fumoto valves for the win, drain from sump, and faster than a pump and less to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All, just got message dashboard saying oil change needed in 100km.

Is it vital to get the oil changed immediately or would it make no difference if i waited another week or two?

Also is it a quick and cheap job for the dealership to complete?

The car is a 151 diesel skoda Octavia. Normally do around 250-300km per week.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its not vital but the problem is if you put it off once then how many times will you put it off? Thats when it really does become a problem.

Just get it booked in if you aren't going to do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Meursault wrote: »

Is it vital to get the oil changed immediately or would it make no difference if i waited another week or two?

Thanks
    Cost around 140 in dealers take around 2 hours.

Its not vital but the problem is if you put it off once then how many times will you put it off? Thats when it really does become a problem.

Just get it booked in if you aren't going to do it yourself.

No, I hear you. Happy to get it done. It’s just that I am traveling to Dublin tomorrow evening for a flight. I could probably get it done before I leave. I just need to know how urgent a job it is. Either it will be done tomorrow or before the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No, I hear you. Happy to get it done. It’s just that I am traveling to Dublin tomorrow evening for a flight. I could probably get it done before I leave. I just need to know how urgent a job it is. Either it will be done tomorrow or before the weekend

Now or 3 weeks won't make the slightest bit of difference tbh. Unless the car is actually low on oil, which of course means you need to immediately top it up. But otherwise it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks

Oil is the lifeblood of your engine, dirty oil will ensure your engine won't last as long as it could and can affect economy.
    If the car says it needs to be changed it probably needs it sooner rather than later.
    Sure you could drive it for another 600km but it won't be doing the engine any good in the long run.
    How often do you normally change the oil? at a given mileage or just when the car system says it needs to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pale rider

Oil sucker from Lidl is terrific, recommended, an easy diy job, save yourself some money and get one, change the oil filter every time.

Was told the new e class has no dipstick so not sure what the future is for oil suckers.

If you can not to do yourself, we can test my pump :) Bring the oil and the oil filter. I planning to change my oil too tomorrow.
    Oil may cost 50-70eur, depends the brand. My obd2 scanner should be able to reset 151 diesel skoda Octavia service interval too.

This is not the advertising, it is the free product testing. The next time you will to do it yourself! If you have a photo camera, take that too and share the pictures here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

It can be reasonable to use the pump on garages too if the garage have enough space for extra cars and the oil filter have a easy access. By that way the garage can use 10 cars and 10 pumps together and can do much faster oil change than standard way. The pumping need way less labor. The standard way the plug removal needs to do extra work and needs the new seal too. If the oil plug torque are out from spec, it can ruin the engine (oil leaking out). This is the dream only, because so many cars oil filters are accessible from under panel. Even if garage have only limited numbers of easy accessible oil filters, it can save for them load of time. The mechanic can to do on same time something else.

But if the car is in for a service then it would be getting a full check over so you'd need a lift for that, no point doing the oil and filter on the ground then putting it up on a lift to check brakes and suspension

EPAndlee wrote: »
    But if the car is in for a service then it would be getting a full check over so you'd need a lift for that, no point doing the oil and filter on the ground then putting it up on a lift to check brakes and suspension

If garage have limited numbers of lifts then it speeds the process

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It will be fine. Now where will of course be some clowns that will say that go 1km over the recommended interval your engine will seize up. As long as it's not low on oil, service within 1000km won't make a blind bit of difference, you could probably go much further than that tbh

• Advertisement

It will be fine. Now where will of course be some clowns that will say that go 1km over the recommended interval your engine will seize up. As long as it's not low on oil, service within 1000km won't make a blind bit of difference, you could probably go much further than that tbh

Thanks again. One last question. Is this something any decent mechanic can do, or if I bring it to a Volkswagen dealership for example. I assume there is no issues if I get the oil change by a non skoda dealer? It would make life easier today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Thanks again. One last question. Is this something any decent mechanic can do, or if I bring it to a Volkswagen dealership for example. I assume there is no issues if I get the oil change by a non skoda dealer? It would make life easier today

If a mechanic can't do an oil and filter change then he has no right to call himself a mechanic.

There is no issue with an Indy mechanic doing car services except where the car is under warranty or you want to maintain a main dealer service history to preserve resale value (debatable whether it's really adds value) or maintain manufacturer good will if you have a major failure.

I really think you're overthinking it. I'm a stickler generally for servicing on the button but the last time it was due, life got in the way and was over by 1200km by the time I got it in. It has had no adverse effect not will it have any adverse effect on engine life.

If a mechanic can't do an oil and filter change then he has no right to call himself a mechanic.

There is no issue with an Indy mechanic doing car services except where the car is under warranty or you want to maintain a main dealer service history to preserve resale value (debatable whether it's really adds value) or maintain manufacturer good will if you have a major failure.

I really think you're overthinking it. I'm a stickler generally for servicing on the button but the last time it was due, life got in the way and was over by 1200km by the time I got it in. It has had no adverse effect not will it have any adverse effect on engine life.

Okay, thanks again. Booked in for oil change and service with dealer. Its probably due anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

pale rider wrote: »
    Oil sucker from Lidl is terrific, recommended, an easy diy job, save yourself some money and get one, change the oil filter every time.

Was told the new e class has no dipstick so not sure what the future is for oil suckers.
    My 3 series has no dipstick either:(
    Looks like a very easy job with that sucker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

How do you check your oil level?

horse7 wrote: »
    How do you check your oil level?
    By computer. It's stupid, the car has to be warmed up, kept on a level surface & the computer checks. Those pumps won't work on my engine at all.

Over complication of things just the sake of it.

trixiebust wrote: »
    Many new cars does not have dipstick but there is installed the dipstick guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Can't understand that post, can you explain?

trixiebust wrote: »
    Many new cars does not have dipstick but there is installed the dipstick guide.
    I was checking on E90 forums last night,but apparently there is no way to do it on my engine - N43.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

trixiebust wrote:
    My 3 series has no dipstick either

There's a joke there somewhere but I couldn't possibly say :):)

Advertisement