Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The huge thread on oil extractor pumps

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

I can check the engine schematics, but I can not to do it without VIN number. You can say N43 but there is so many variations. The beginning of production version can be very different from end of the production engine.

Update for lidl oil replacement pump: It works! Bit too slow. The oil temperature was around 60 degrees but it drops quickly and it slows the progress. I used the RO water 6mm pipe on suction side and it works better than lidl original one. It was easy to feel when it hit the bottom of the sump and it stays stright. Storage is not the big mess if you storage the hoses separately on the plastic bag. I reinstalled the pump end caps and clamp these. If you put all to the same bag, all will be oily and messy.

On the next time I planning to upgrade the suction side hose to 8mm or 10mm and install the valve for suction restriction. The all pumps sucks better if intake are smaller than outtake or intake have a little restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭trixiebust

w211 wrote: »
    I can check the engine schematics, but I can not to do it without VIN number. You can say N43 but there is so many variations. The beginning of production version can be very different from end of the production engine.

Update for lidl oil replacement pump: It works! Bit too slow. The oil temperature was around 60 degrees but it drops quickly and it slows the progress. I used the RO water 6mm pipe on suction side and it works better than lidl original one. It was easy to feel when it hit the bottom of the sump and it stays stright. Storage is not the big mess if you storage the hoses separately on the plastic bag. I reinstalled the pump end caps and clamp these. If you put all to the same bag, all will be oily and messy.

On the next time I planning to upgrade the suction side hose to 8mm or 10mm and install the valve for suction restriction. The all pumps sucks better if intake are smaller than outtake or intake have a little restriction.
    Thanks, I can PM the VIN number to you if you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

trixiebust wrote: »
    Thanks, I can PM the VIN number to you if you want?
    Sure, I can check it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

My sealey pump works 100 pc, vacuum pump works - no hassle,and if your careful no message whatsoever, personally I put down an opened up cardboard box before I start

<not helpful>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

<not helpful>

I think you should add that you are just joking and if you're not then you should be banned from this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

<not helpful>

Will you.do my next oil change for me stinky digit?I like your style.Do you put your spent filter in the green bin for recycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on track folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I've to do a service on a Smart Roadster.
    Apparently there is no sump plug and the oil needs to be extracted via the dipstick tube.

I've never looked at oil extractors and would be highly dubious. If anyone could recommend a budget Extractor or should I just send it into a garage?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

https://ige.ie/9-litre-pneumatic-fluid-extractor/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8e7mBRBsEiwAPVxxiPQuPFtTnALkEhIESzNxbXo-KkNzr0-uh-tJYP6iiTRHEQkCN0giAxoCeHwQAvD_BwE
    I use something similiar as above and i find it very very handy for quick oil and filter change. Just make sure the engine is up to temp as makes extraction easier!

• Advertisement

cajonlardo wrote: »
    I've to do a service on a Smart Roadster.
    Apparently there is no sump plug and the oil needs to be extracted via the dipstick tube.

I've never looked at oil extractors and would be highly dubious. If anyone could recommend a budget Extractor or should I just send it into a garage?
    Thanks
    Sealey vacuum pump us your man,I've one 6/7 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

This is the one I've used for years (sealey) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Manual-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B000RA16CO/ but £55 may not be budget.

This looks to be the best value atm https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072KHF1XB/ identical to the Sealey one I use.

The cheaper ones don't have the stiff narrow extractor hoses that you need to get all the oil out.

my3cents wrote: »
    This is the one I've used for years (sealey) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Manual-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B000RA16CO/ but £55 may not be budget.

This looks to be the best value atm https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072KHF1XB/ identical to the Sealey one I use.

The cheaper ones don't have the stiff narrow extractor hoses that you need to get all the oil out.
    That's my one AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That's my one AFAIK

Mine too. Works a treat. IIRC I paid €100 for it at a local motor factors about six years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Just make sure the engine is up to temp as makes extraction easier!

+1, I was trying to extract on cold 15W40 oil using 2 different extractors and failed so hot oil much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

my3cents wrote: »

Sealy £6 dearer and you have Amazon guarantee...a no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

https://ige.ie/9-litre-pneumatic-fluid-extractor/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8e7mBRBsEiwAPVxxiPQuPFtTnALkEhIESzNxbXo-KkNzr0-uh-tJYP6iiTRHEQkCN0giAxoCeHwQAvD_BwE
    I use something similiar as above and i find it very very handy for quick oil and filter change. Just make sure the engine is up to temp as makes extraction easier!

I have a Draper 10 ltr one, and it works either manually or with the compressor. In your ad, for the one you recommend, it says "For use with compressor only". Just to be careful if you buy it, you need to have compressor too. But there are plenty of them around do a google search....just make sure that it will have the capacity to drain all your oil in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sealy £6 dearer and you have Amazon guarantee...a no brainer really.

I agree, but some people do go to extremes to make savings and then of course there is always someone who has to point out you can get it for cheaper even if its just a few quid. So I was trying to cover all bases :)

The main point I'd make about that whole group of pumps that look remarkably similar is that they have the best type of suction pipe for getting to the bottom of a sump. The suction pipe comes in two sections the first thick section is connected to the extractor pump then you have the choice of one of two thinner pipes that are stiffened with a wire inside them to stick into your engine or gearbox.

Many of the cheaper pumps just come with a bit of flimsy polythene tubing that can't be relied on to make it to the bottom of a sump without curling up.

You don't. I've said as much above that there will always be a small amount of old oil left, but there's so much new oil going in that it really won't make a blind bit of difference.

I just prefere to do it right. :)

Oil extractor pumps are just a lazy out for those that do not want to get their hands dirty. :p
    Not quite,I use the vac pump twice,3 rd the old fashioned way and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Are those suction pumps any good seen one on micks garage there for 30 quid and oil for 25 quid car just out of warranty and going to keep it for as long as it stays going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I use one and find them very good. Makes oil changes quicker and far less messy.

Tropheus wrote: »
    I use one and find them very good. Makes oil changes quicker and far less messy.

Thanks Tropheus do you think these 30 euro ones would do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I used one that I think I bought from a while back just yesterday.(pump is yellow and black in colour).

Very handy,just stick tube in to the dipstick and leads on to battery and out it comes, though its more suction than vacumn.

Saying that if I left it in to a garage for an oil change I would prefer the oil to be dropped completely than suctioned out on my dollar.

• Company Representative Posts: 18 Verified rep MicksGarage.com

popa smurf wrote: »

Hi, the oil extractor is definitely a useful product that will save you a lot of time and money when it comes to doing a service yourself.

If you click on the link it will bring you to the product page where we have a video showing the product in use.

If you have any other questions do let us know.

Micks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

popa smurf wrote: »

Should do the trick. Extractors work on most cars. No issue on my Audi Allroad, my wife's Superb and my father-in-law's Passat. Hower, it doesn't extract all the oil on my father's Alfa 166 so I need to open the sump plug to do a full change.

What make/model is your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Tropheus wrote: »

I have a small 12V suction pump like the Micks Garage one, ( plus a draper 10 Ltrs pump ) and it is fine for topping up hard to reach back axle differentials or gearboxes. It handles the heavier gear oil no problem. Can be used when bleeding brakes too. Most garages are now using vacuum pump's to extract engine oil. ( whatever they may say to the contrary, simply because it cuts down on the service time. ) I have absolutely no hesitation in using it when changing the oil on my own car....just face the car uphill or downhill ( to place the dipstick tube at the lowest level ) Drain the oil, and check the amount ( the draper pump has a graduated container ) add in the amount taken from the filter, and you can match the amount drained with the engine oil capacity. Once the oil is changed regularly ( I change it every 10'000 Klms Max, which is less than the manufacturer recommended 15'000 Klms ) I don't worry about the minute amount of old oil left in the sump.No matter what method you use to change the oil, there will always be a small amount left.

Hi, the oil extractor is definitely a useful product that will save you a lot of time and money when it comes to doing a service yourself.

If you click on the link it will bring you to the product page where we have a video showing the product in use.

Micks.

I bought that exact pump.
    The car I used it on doesn't have a sump plug.

I was not at all comfortable with the idea of extracting rather than draining oil.

However, I measured what came out and what replaced it and there was next to no difference so I'm satisfied. I did "tilt" the car to try and drain every bit I could.

The pump itself works as it should and I'd recommend it for DIY use and it works exactly as depicted in that video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭newmember2

cajonlardo wrote: »
    ...I measured what came out and what replaced it and there was next to no difference so I'm satisfied...

What other result could you have had?

newmember? wrote: »
    What other result could you have had?

Yeah, I should have explained better.
    I put in the exact measure specified by the manufacturer and what surprised me was there wasn't a discernible difference between this and what the pump extracted

• Advertisement

Micks.
    Hi mick used your suction pump today on a kia ceed 2015 only got out 4 Litres tried for a few min to get more out so thought it was empty so filled up new oil and only took 4 litres but manual said it should take 5.3 so must have left a litre in there someplace . Fast and clean job alright but hard to know when empty.

Advertisement