Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The huge thread on oil extractor pumps

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

Good news and bad news - going in through the oil filter proved the vacuum pump works very well even when it was sucking a good chunk of air, and when the oil was at ambient temperature. When cleaning the pump with water and fairy liquid it filled its 4 litres up in less than 2 minutes.

Unfortunately the tube wasn't getting near to the bottom of the engine. So, hopeful for success with the 3mm tube.

Persevere, you'll get there !!! I have never failed to suck the oil out of any cars I have used the Draper kit on, and I've used it on a lot of different make's. Just make sure that you monitor how much you extract, and match that amount with the manufacturers recommended qty. inc. filter.

WIP

The 3mm fitted perfectly into the 5mm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Anybody using a vacuum pump to do oil changes on these?
    Can’t really be bothered removing the guards underneath and dropping it to a garage every 6 months.
    I need to be doing 2 oil changes a year on mine.
    Was thinking vacuum 1 change and garage for the other.

Dunno why the important part of my thread wasn’t added.
    But yea the car is a 2015 A6 190bhp 2.0tdi ultra.
    I know some engines can’t be vacuumed properly due to baffles and stuff.

Will have a browse through the thread soon enough.

XsApollo wrote: »
    Can’t really be bothered removing the guards underneath and dropping it to a garage every 6 months.

I think it's how most garages do it now.

I was able to do it on a 2l petrol audi engine

Remember to open the oil cap to make it easier :o

Yeah, I'll be doing it that way. 1 for 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wandererz

XsApollo wrote: »

I was using an extractor pump as well but realised that a normal drain would be required every so often.

Also, on one of the cars, the pump does not extract all the oil.

So I decided to use an oil drain valve. Makes oil changes dead simple.

Got one from these guys on adverts. They provide them for all cars I think. Just give them the nut size or the make & model of the car.

http://www.adverts.ie/21863376

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

wandererz wrote: »
    I was using an extractor pump as well but realised that a normal drain would be required every so often.

Also, on one of the cars, the pump does not extract all the oil.

So I decided to use an oil drain valve. Makes oil changes dead simple.

Got one from these guys on adverts. They provide them for all cars I think. Just give them the nut size or the make & model of the car.

http://www.adverts.ie/21863376

They are a good idea, especially for any car with a plastic sump, which seems to be very common nowadays. Especially if you get one that you can attach a plastic pipe to. And even better if you can access it without jacking up the car. I've been using the extractor for several years now, and have never felt the need to do do an "ordinary drain ". Once you monitor the amount that comes out, and do frequent changes its fine. I always use Long life oil, and change at 10'000 Klms, even with oils that are good for 20'000 Klms. So far, no problems.

Advertisement