Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The huge thread on oil extractor pumps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I want to get one of these, I've a pain in my hole fiddling about with undertrays on cars that are too low to crawl under without ramps/stands/lift. And even when taking care you're going to have occasions where you spill used oil on yourself/the ground or drop the sump plug into your container of used oil and have to fish it out.

If you are changing oil every 5k I doubt that there is going to be any issue with leaving sludge or crap behind in the sump. In any case, you won't get everything out of the sump using the traditional method either.

Anyone recommend a sucker and somewhere to buy it? I haven't seen them in my local motor factors or in Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Heres one you can use for manual and compressor extraction, Very reasonably priced too..

http://www.micksgarage.com/ProdDetails.aspx?pid=1639918&pk=B79B9&gclid=CJCj8u3_s7gCFZNX4QodsEwAeQ

This is the one I use, but its a lot more expensive than the one above.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_16888.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I swear by these yokes. I also did a bit of experimenting with how much oil is left compared to the normal method and found on my car anyway the extractor took more. I have heard some engines don't like them, but I dunno how true that is. I have heard some people cry foul of them, but I found them better and you're more likely to change the oil more often which is a far better bet. That siad once every three or four changes I do take out the sump plug to check for metal particles(magnetic sump plug) but that's me being a weirdo.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I have one that I have never used as I wasn't sure how good it was to service a car with it. For me I'd probably only use it in bad weather otherwise I'll still take the plug off as have to put the car on ramps to get the oil filter off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Manual-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B000RA16CO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373980063&sr=8-3&keywords=oil+change+pump

This is the extractor I've used for about 10 years. A great yoke altogether - saves time, mess and knuckle-skin. You'll rarely see it on the shelf but motor factors will order it from Sealey.
    And of course, the Flat Earth Society will talk about it's inability to remove sludge but, unless you perform a full engine flush, you won't remove sludge by draining from the sump plug either.
    By the way, if you're that way inclined, you can still scrape your knuckles removing the oil filter, so it's a win win - while the extraxctor does its work, you can scrape your knuckles removing the filter, thereby getting you to the Elastoplast much earlier.

• Advertisement

BrensBenz wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-Manual-Vacuum-Fluid-Extractor/dp/B000RA16CO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373980063&sr=8-3&keywords=oil+change+pump

This is the extractor I've used for about 10 years. A great yoke altogether - saves time, mess and knuckle-skin. You'll rarely see it on the shelf but motor factors will order it from Sealey.
    And of course, the Flat Earth Society will talk about it's inability to remove sludge but, unless you perform a full engine flush, you won't remove sludge by draining from the sump plug either.
    By the way, if you're that way inclined, you can still scrape your knuckles removing the oil filter, so it's a win win - while the extraxctor does its work, you can scrape your knuckles removing the filter, thereby getting you to the Elastoplast much earlier.
    Just bought that, 61 euro delivered. There are cheaper suckers on amazon but I said I'd go with the Sealey. Hopefully no more crawling around under a car messing with an undertray getting gravel in my hair and oil on my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Food for thought, lads, thanks. I might pull the trigger on one of these next pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I want to be convinced these are a fantastic idea. Do sump baffles not screw them up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Just bought that, 61 euro delivered. There are cheaper suckers on amazon but I said I'd go with the Sealey. Hopefully no more crawling around under a car messing with an undertray getting gravel in my hair and oil on my hands.

Great info here lads, thanks.

Gonna get one of these now that I know it sucks from the dip stick tube.

BrianD3,
    Couldnt purchase this online though Amazon, as it would not send it to Ireland.

How did you do this:)

Thanks IB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Used one for years on a 156, great little things, and the car is still going strong well past 100k.

• Advertisement

BrianD3,

Thanks IB
    I think I got the last one from Amazon UK itself, the page was saying that there was 1 left. Now the page has changed with the seller listed as Cooks of Bedford ltd. I'd say that's the issue, Cook's probably don't post to Ireland.

I have just tried to order another one there and am getting the same error message as you did.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The 5.5 Litre one is delivered to Ireland, under free super saver delivery!

Question, what do you do with used Engine Oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

BrianD3,

Thanks IB

Here you go http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000RA16CO/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
    Just go down to Amazon as the seller then add to cart:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

I bought one in top part in Tralee. Handy yoke to have I have to say. I service mine every 10k miles and use the pump very second time. Bring it in for a proper sump nut removed service the other times to properly get the sludge out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

jimgoose wrote: »
    I want to be convinced these are a fantastic idea. Do sump baffles not screw them up a bit?

I bought mine for use on the rallycars which all had baffled sumps and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have a cheap sh1t one that I have never used for oil extraction but its still a super handy tool to have.
    With a bit of thinking it can be used to fill a cooling system also by extracting as much of the air in the empty cooling system as possible then letting the vacuum pull in new coolant from a container.
    Have used it for a few different jobs that you would never even think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Have always wondered about these as I'd like to change oil at short intervals but have no space to work in the apartment. Where would one dispose of waste oil in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I've used this one and found it excellent.
    One tip. Don't use the extractor to store the waste oil as it's not up to it.
    Recycling centres take waste oil.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carefull now!

These are very handy tools but they don't get all the oil out, up to half a liter can be left so be aware if your that worried about saving a soft engine, especially if you've used a flush before the oil change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

These are very handy tools but they don't get all the oil out, up to half a liter can be left.
    I've heard this so many times, but clearly it must depend on the model of engine and sump design, because on mine(Honda B18) it takes more out than the standard method and I've tested this a few times. How? Warm engine, remove sump plug, let engine drain, then let the jack down so sump is level, make a pot of tea, come back a half hour later, replace sump plug, then use the oil hoover and every time it pulls another eggcup or so out. Now in fairness it's a near 20 year old engine design so maybe on later engines the sucker leaves oil in, but mates who aren't luddites like me with their recent engines(mercs/beemers/VWs/Fords) seem to get similar results to me. IIRC aren't some newer cars coming without sump plugs so this is the only method?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Most car I've had have the oil filter underneath so I had to jack car up anyway.
    An extractor would be handy though for overfilling extraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've heard this so many times, but clearly it must depend on the model of engine and sump design, because on mine(Honda B18) it takes more out than the standard method and I've tested this a few times. How? Warm engine, remove sump plug, let engine drain, then let the jack down so sump is level, make a pot of tea, come back a half hour later, replace sump plug, then use the oil hoover and every time it pulls another eggcup or so out. Now in fairness it's a near 20 year old engine design so maybe on later engines the sucker leaves oil in, but mates who aren't luddites like me with their recent engines(mercs/beemers/VWs/Fords) seem to get similar results to me. IIRC aren't some newer cars coming without sump plugs so this is the only method?

what cars come without a sump plug?

AFAIR the Smart car is one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The oil extractors are also excellent for sucking petrol and diesel out of tanks of cars........i have one I use for that only, as the narrow hose gets down into the neck and into fuel tank on modern cars a lot handier than some other fuel transfer hose yokes.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

MidlandsM wrote: »
    The oil extractors are also excellent for sucking petrol and diesel out of tanks of cars........i have one I use for that only, as the narrow hose gets down into the neck and into fuel tank on modern cars a lot handier than some other fuel transfer hose yokes.......

And the bilge water in boats that the pump won't reach;
    And the "just to be safe" extra oil that your son added to his engine, putting the oil level off the scale;
    And, with the addition of a homemade adaptor, draining a central heating radiator without mess and stress;
    And scaring the life out of Jaws as you drain his aquarium, etc.

The list is endless. Forget steam-cleaners, buy an oil sucker!

I'm sold. Gonna pick me up one of these.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

BrensBenz wrote: »
    And the bilge water in boats that the pump won't reach;
    And the "just to be safe" extra oil that your son added to his engine, putting the oil level off the scale;
    And, with the addition of a homemade adaptor, draining a central heating radiator without mess and stress;
    And scaring the life out of Jaws as you drain his aquarium, etc.

The list is endless. Forget steam-cleaners, buy an oil sucker!

ahhhhhhhhhhh, very good other uses there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

anyone use these on an bmw e60?
    Am I reading it right? It extracts through the dipstick?
    I'm a lazy old sod and looking for an easy way to do mine :D

Blazer wrote: »
    anyone use these on an bmw e60?
    Am I reading it right? It extracts through the dipstick?
    I'm a lazy old sod and looking for an easy way to do mine :D

They extract through the filler cap.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    They extract through the filler cap.
    How would it get to the bottom of the sump through the filler cap? Is the cap on those engines connected directly to the sump maybe?

Advertisement