Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The huge thread on oil extractor pumps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

It's handy if you've had a car where someone has over torqued the sump plug and bodged it with plumbers tape.

Cheaper than a new sump.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

The reason I got one was I used to change oil in a few 'older' cars where the sump nut threads had been damaged over time - overtightened etc .
    The last thing you wanted to happen was that as you loosened the sump nut it began to get tight again and then wouldn't thread in or out. Sump off time.
    Its also handy for draining out spills etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Liamalone wrote: »
    What about the oil filter? I'm assuming this is pointless for my Vectra as I can only get at the filter from underneath the car, takes any benefit away I'd imagine.
    In my car filters on top,near dip stick,either way,gets most out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

dooroy wrote: »
    The reason I got one was I used to change oil in a few 'older' cars where the sump nut threads had been damaged over time - overtightened etc .
    The last thing you wanted to happen was that as you loosened the sump nut it began to get tight again and then wouldn't thread in or out. Sump off time.
    Its also handy for draining out spills etc .

Had that problem myself. Local indy re-threaded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

amazon,sealey is the make,bout e49 delivered to the door,superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Probably interest a few on here. Never seen them selling it before. €18

75175wk1214_01_f.jpg

Ideal for clean and easy oil change
    Suitable for pumping engine oil and diesel
    Easy to use with long suction and discharge hoses
    Connection clamps with insulated handles and extra long coiled cable
    Operates from a 12V car battery
    Flow rates: approx. 0.2 L/min for motor oil and approx. 1.5 L/min for diesel or heating oil

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-55837608-439D1EF5/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=3694

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Very interested in this, but by looking at the tubing I wouldn't be confident it would fit down the dipstick, or reach the bottom of the sump.

Are these made by another company does anyone know? Would like to see some reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Good spot there OP :)

I've used an electric pump, different model, for several years for oil changes, suck it out thru' the dipstick.

IMO the electric pump is better than the pump-up vacuum units - they lose vacuum once some air starts to come up whereas the electric pump keeps pumping until you switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I can imagine a certain sub culture will be delighted to hear about this .....boss

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

0.2l/min for oil? You'd be 20 mins draining 4 litres. You'd have the sump plug off and drained by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

0.2l/min for oil? You'd be 20 mins draining 4 litres. You'd have the sump plug off and drained by then.

I think the real advantage with these is for people, like myself, who have their oil filter located at the top of the engine. It prevents you from having to jack up the car and get underneath which can be a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

BillJ wrote: »
    I think the real advantage with these is for people, like myself, who have their oil filter located at the top of the engine. It prevents you from having to jack up the car and get underneath which can be a PITA.

It also means you can pump directly into an empty oil can for disposal and avoid the hassle of emptying and cleaning an oil tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Lidl are doing some of the car specials on the 20th, looks good. Engine cleaner and Oil suction pump I am considering. Any thoughts?
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/SID-0D40541A-ED23AC7A/www_lidl_ie/hs.xsl/Offers.htm?id=105

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Could do with a new set of mats in the front of the Corolla, can't go far wrong for €7.99 :)

I've one of those wet and dry vacuums out the back from years ago. You have to swap out the dust bag when switching to wet. The suction head is basic and a bit flimsy, it's single speed on/off, noisy but damned good at sucking up water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

kona wrote: »
    I can imagine a certain sub culture will be delighted to hear about this .....boss

yeah, lots of people will be waking up to empty fuel tanks in the near future :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

And again there is no wheel stands.
    I've seen it once about 2 years ago, but didn't buy it as I didn't need it.
    Now I need it for last year, and nothing coming up in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

CiniO wrote: »
    And again there is no wheel stands.
    I've seen it once about 2 years ago, but didn't buy it as I didn't need it.
    Now I need it for last year, and nothing coming up in Lidl.

What is a wheel stand?

slimjimmc wrote: »

Yes. That's the one to hold my set of rims with tyres.

But actually first thing looks interesting as well.
    My desk is not great to mount PC steering wheel :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

BMJD wrote: »
    yeah, lots of people will be waking up to empty fuel tanks in the near future :(

at 0.2l/min, it would take 6 and a half hours to empty a 40 litre tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

It's a cheap sucker. Much like the buyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

It's a cheap sucker. Much like the buyers.

there was a survey recently which found that 85% of the stuff in the centre aisles in lidl is in the bin / a dump within 3 months of purchase.

maryishere wrote: »
    there was a survey recently which found that 85% of the stuff in the centre aisles in lidl is in the bin / a dump within 3 months of purchase.

Because it's of bad quality or because people just dump it because they never really needed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Interesting, source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

CiniO wrote: »
    Because it's of bad quality or because people just dump it because they never really needed it?

I always buy stuff in there that I have no use for whatsoever :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

In other news 47% of statistics are made up on the spot...

I'll be getting some 10W40 and a trolley jack. Mine has finally given up the ghost after about 6 years.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I've one of those wet and dry vacuums out the back from years ago. You have to swap out the dust bag when switching to wet. The suction head is basic and a bit flimsy, it's single speed on/off, noisy but damned good at sucking up water.

What's it like for normal car hoovering?

cletus wrote: »
    at 0.2l/min, it would take 6 and a half hours to empty a 40 litre tank

1.5 litres a min for diesel/ petrol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bought that trolleyjack years ago. Pretty good, used it a fair bit. They sold wheel chocks but I havn't seen them come up since. Saved the auld fellas bacon one of the days working when he was under the back and the handbrake became disengaged

Advertisement