Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The huge thread on oil extractor pumps

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

psicic wrote: »
    Just to say, in my experience disassembling two badly maintained (and never cleaned) 13 year old Freelander engines, this engine cleaner blows most of the others I've tried away once you spray liberally. Whatever's in it, it eats through surface oil etc... but it also seems to loosen even deeply ingrained dirt (my dad thought I had bought a new reconditioned gearbox when he saw it first - all I had done was use a can and a half of that engine cleaner then run a steam cleaner quickly over it - steam cleaning and other engine cleaners didn't seem to do much by themselves).

I was so disappointed last time the car stuff came up and this wasn't there. I'll be stocking up this time around.

Id be concerned of something that strong being sprayed on or near the engine, is it just a strong degreaser? Id be concerned of it deteriorating seals? or is that just concern at all?
    Back in the same lidl, and the pumps were gone, but for some specials, its something you get from time to time that items are just not available in some shops sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

No need...

Empty tablespoon of sugar onto palm of one hand.
    Squirt some washing up liquid onto same hand.
    Add tiny bit of water too (optional)

Rub hands together. Sugar does the scrubbing that the aggregate in the hand cleaners do and washing up liquid helps remove the oily stains...

Rinse and repeat if necessary..

~LTD.

Done that for years. Not the same at all. Takes much longer, makes **** of the skin on your hands and the packet of sugar too ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Easy debate on whether to get this or not for me in the end - the local Lidl in Limerick didn't have them - more specifically they didn't get them in according to the staff member I spoke to.

Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

BillJ wrote: »
    That's annoying, he said they just didn't come in not that they sold out.

Will have to keep an eye out, anyone that sees them in cork pop it in here!

Lidl Newbridge had plently of the suction pumps in stock yesterday around mid-day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Silvera wrote: »
    Lidl Newbridge had plently of the suction pumps in stock yesterday around mid-day.

Still had them today at lunchtime.
    I bought 70 tins of the silicone spray from 3 Lidls, as it's the best on the market, for some reason. Much better than the "big brand" stuff. We use it a lot at work. Going on the praise from a previous poster, I also bought a couple dozen tins of the engine cleaner, I'll give it a lash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Esel wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but Lidl have one on Thur next 20/03 for €18.

Someone on the newer thread said it looks very similar and same specs as this Mannesman one from Conrad for €30.
    Sold out in every branch.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

I got one of these yesterday and used it for the first time today on a B7 A4 tdi. I couldn't believe how easy it was to use, and because the filter is also accessible from the top of the engine it meant not having to get under the car and take off the plastic covers, which are a baaaaastard to get back on. The only change I'm going to make is to replace the thin tube with a metal tube, as the plastic tube softens with hot oil and it's harder to judge the depth. I have to admit I was worried that it wouldn't remove all of the oil, but I had to put in .2 litres more than the recommended refill, so it definitely does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

roadsmart wrote: »
    I got one of these yesterday and used it for the first time today on a B7 A4 tdi. I couldn't believe how easy it was to use, and because the filter is also accessible from the top of the engine it meant not having to get under the car and take off the plastic covers, which are a baaaaastard to get back on. The only change I'm going to make is to replace the thin tube with a metal tube, as the plastic tube softens with hot oil and it's harder to judge the depth. I have to admit I was worried that it wouldn't remove all of the oil, but I had to put in .2 litres more than the recommended refill, so it definitely does the job.

How long did it take to drain the oil?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Eireann81 wrote: »
    How long did it take to drain the oil?

Hi, it took about 10 minutes with hot/warm oil. I ran some clean cold oil through it afterwards just to clean it out, and it was a lot slower with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Zoney wrote: »
    Easy debate on whether to get this or not for me in the end - the local Lidl in Limerick didn't have them - more specifically they didn't get them in according to the staff member I spoke to.

Oh well!

You might have been lucky, I got one of these, tried it today for the first time since I got it, opened the box up, connected the hoses, connected it up, switched it on
    nothing, dead as a Dodo.

anyone else use theirs? says it sound level is 70dB, unless mine is whisper quiet and doesnt do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Bring it back to them man, get a refund, doubt they would have any replacements. I got a dodgy power washer off them not too long ago and it was already used, wasn't long landing it back to them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dbarry55

Need help lads, im thinking of buying a diy oil extractor pump to service my car, as i drive a taxi and do all my own servicing anyway im wondering if using the above item would cause any long term damage or are they a trusted piece of kit, thanks in advance to what i am sure will be very educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭G-Man

I want to buy a reasonably priced (DIY) oil extractor pump..

Is there a parts shop in Dublin or Kildare that might have one.

Hoping to pick up tomorrow so online does not suit....

Lidl had one on sale in the last week or three. Call their Customer Care 1800347447 - they should be able to tell you if there are any left in stock in your local (or any) store.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

G-Man wrote: »
    I want to buy a reasonably priced (DIY) oil extractor pump..

Is there a parts shop in Dublin or Kildare that might have one.

Sealey,eBay,can vouch for one,as have been using one for last 2 cars,easy and cheap

Sealey,eBay,can vouch for one,as have been using one for last 2 cars,easy and cheap

OP did say

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Motor factors sell them. I got a manual one that holds about 12 litres for around 60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I do 'HUGE' miles been using one for at least 5 years, an absolute GOD-SEND.... I've never had an issue, maybe every 5! oil changes I open the plug and drain it from there, but look!! sludge is sludge and unless you lift the car up at a 90degree angle lol well it aint comin out....

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭G-Man

Thanks for help. I got sorted for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

https://www.offerscheck.org/ultimate-speed-oil-suction-pump/lidl/2017/kw-12/513800

This is for sale @ €19.99 in Lidl at the moment. From "Ultimate Speed". Drains oil from diesels @ a rate 0.15 litres per minute and drains oil from petrols @ rate of 0.20 litres per minute it says on the box. Should take circa 20 mins to drain the oil out of a bread and butter family saloon at that rate.

Thoughts? Any good? Anyone got one before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I saw them alright. I was trying to think if there was ever a time when I needed one. Where do you suck the oil from, the dipstick? Why not just remove the sump nut and have the job done in minutes or are they for people without tools. Just can't really see the benefits of one TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

emeldc wrote: »
    I saw them alright. I was trying to think if there was ever a time when I needed one. Where do you suck the oil from, the dipstick? Why not just remove the sump nut and have the job done in minutes or are they for people without tools. Just can't really see the benefits of one TBH.

Well I suppose its not the ideal scenario changing the oil through the sump drain plug without a ramp which most of us won't have. I wouldn't bother me to get down underneath the car and some fellas might be well.....more dainty and older guys who might be somewhat infirm it might be better for them to use the suction pumps. Also despite best efforts it'll be almost impossible to avoid getting some bit of oil on the driveway I've found if draining from the sump.

If the suction pumps don't work particularly well then best to do it the traditional way but if they do work well then I'd definitely see the benefit of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Quote from earlier in this merged thread.
    roadsmart wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I picked up the lidl pump.
    No idea how good or bad it is but will get around to using it at some stage.
    I paid more for a hand pumped vacuum extractor previously so I thought the lidl price was a give away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

I regularly use suction pumps and it's possible to get more out with them than going the traditional way.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I'm a believer in draining the oil through the sump plug but I still bought an extractor pump. The reason was that I was doing an oil-change on a Honda Accord and the drain-plug was stuck. The Accord has an alloy sump and I was pulling so hard that I was afraid I would pull a lump out of the sump. So I bought the pump and got the job done. Since then I use the pump on awkward engines and do an old-fashion drain on easier engines. It's a great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Bought one today. If I get a few goes out it it will pay for itself. 20 bucks sure ya cant go to wrong. Ill let ye know how i get on when i use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Stood beside them the other day with the overwhelming Lidl man-urge to buy "stuff". But the slow pump rate (40 minutes for 8 litres, no thanks) coupled with an under-car filter meant I spent my money on polish beer instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Is the stated flow rate for cold or hot oil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No doubt it's a great deal for an extractor pump. Personally, I wouldn't feel right about leaving the worst bits of the oil in the car and taking out the relatively clean old oil.

What I did was buy ramps (not expensive), and avoid buying cheap cars with cheap plastic under car covers (like Audis or Rovers or some Japanese cars). Proper, well designed cars do not use cheap nasty covers.

Advertisement