Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The huge thread on oil extractor pumps

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

well designed cars give us examples unkel.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well I guess any of the cars I have owned that didn't have those crappy plastic under car covers. None of my Saab / BMW / Porsche cars had any. Pleasure to do a proper oil change myself, knowing you did a good job and help those lovely engines stay healthy :)

Was it just front wheels you put up on ramps?

In some of my cars like my BMWs and my Saab. Had to put the rear wheels up in my MGF and my Porsche Boxster as they both had mid rear engines (and rear wheel drive) :)

Don't car manufacturers not design their cars for oil to be drained while they are level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

biko wrote: »
    Quote from earlier in this merged thread.

Yeah,i concur,have a sealey vac pump,find it V convenient,fab bit of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Don't car manufacturers not design their cars for oil to be drained while they are level?

Yep never really understood the use of ramps for complete oil changes. I use axle stands myself, drain the pan as much as it can with the nose in the air, then lower it down with the jack flat on the ground and another 400-500ml easy drains out.

Ramps will get most of it out and i suppose it depends on the car and where on the sump the drain plug is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some sumps are designed with a rear-facing plug so in theory gravity will get all the oil out, even if car is on stands (it may even help slightly).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is the 12v pump sore on the battery considering that it'll be running for 20 minutes on the average car?

Just keep the engine running, battery will be fine then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Is the 12v pump sore on the battery considering that it'll be running for 20 minutes on the average car?

I picked one of these up saturday and used it yesterday. It's a bit faster than the specs when the oil is warm, and no, no issues with the battery afterwards. Battery is about 2.5 years old on my 2004 1.4 focus.
    Very handy bit of kit for a quick oil change. I can't budge the sump nut, I'll get it sorted next time it's in a garage for something bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

unkel wrote: »
    Just keep the engine running, battery will be fine then :pac:
    Oh, you naughty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭blackbox

I bought one of the Lidl pumps with the intention of using it to fill gear oil into my luxobarge differential. Forums said access was going to be poor for getting the oil in (and it was).

When I got it home, the instructions explicitly said the pump wasn't meant to be used for gear oil, but I thought I'd have a go anyway.

I could see immediately that it was struggling badly by the way it was aerating the oil as it went through the pump, but it was making definite (if slow) progress.

After a while I figured that the restriction was being caused by the very narrow inlet pipe (designed to go down dipstick hole) so I changed this for some wider bore pipe I had in a drawer. After this the oil just flew in. I didn't time it but I reckon it was less than a minute to pump a litre.

Grand job!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gear oil would be thick stuff to try to get through the little pipe alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yep never really understood the use of ramps for complete oil changes. I use axle stands myself, drain the pan as much as it can with the nose in the air, then lower it down with the jack flat on the ground and another 400-500ml easy drains out.

Ramps will get most of it out and i suppose it depends on the car and where on the sump the drain plug is.

You need a hydropneumatic Citroen. Set it for Service High and you don't even need to faff around with jacks. I'll always use axle stands for safety but it makes for real quick oil changes.

Not only Citroens have adjustable suspension. I did set the Lexus to high and I didn't use a jack.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Got the one in lidl a few weeks ago.
    Do an oil change in the Mondeo this weekend.
    Job done in 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

On some BMW with electric water pump the factory procedure to self bleed coolant circuit involves the pump running for about 12 minutes on battery alone. The procedure says to connect a battery charger before proceeding, so I guess you could use this step to ensure you don't drain battery too much when using oil extractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

On some BMW with electric water pump the factory procedure to self bleed coolant circuit involves the pump running for about 12 minutes on battery alone. The procedure says to connect a battery charger before proceeding, so I guess you could use this step to ensure you don't drain battery too much when using oil extractor.

I think it would be just simpler to jack the car up and drain the sump in the normal way. I considered a few different electric pumps but I think they could end up causing more problems than they worth. I might look into manual pumps which don't rely on anything else to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

thinking out loud here.... I wonder could you use this extractor with the right size hose to change the brake fluid on a car, i.e draw the fluid from an open nipple whilst keeping the resevoir topped up?

Brake fluid change has always been neglected on my cars :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It would drain too quickly and allow air in. Get an eezebleed kit in halfords, it's all I ever use.

thinking out loud here.... I wonder could you use this extractor with the right size hose to change the brake fluid on a car, i.e draw the fluid from an open nipple whilst keeping the resevoir topped up?

Brake fluid change has always been neglected on my cars :-/

Seals in pump might not be compatible with brake fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭terryG79

Hi does anyone know of these 12v oil extractors get right down into the sump of a 2009 BXE TDI please

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

terryG79 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know of these 12v oil extractors get right down into the sump of a 2009 BXE TDI please

Manual pump works well on my 2008 golf bxe. It gets most if not all the oil out, I've never measured exactly. I would presume that the 12v one would be the same.

Thank you and can you recommend a good manual one please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Done my 2nd oil change on Mondeo today
    It gets all 5 and 1/2 litres out.

Did Mrs Demanufactureds Citroën c4 last month as well...

Best thing I've ever bought

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Thank you and can you recommend a good manual one please

I got a cheap silverline one on Amazon, not the best build quality but it has done the job well for the last 4 or 5 oil changes. Pela extractors are supposed to be good from what I read.

Thank you...the only reason why I asked was because I was talking to a Mechanic friend of mine and he said there's a flap down inside the BXE stopping the tube going all the way down but then read about another person who added another 4mm tube to the end and it went down even further

Thank fot the reply is your one the 12v or the manual pressure pump one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thank you...the only reason why I asked was because I was talking to a Mechanic friend of mine and he said there's a flap down inside the BXE stopping the tube going all the way down but then read about another person who added another 4mm tube to the end and it went down even further
    If there is a flap, presumably the dipstick gets past it?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement