Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to look for in a tripod?

• 10-02-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

I am doing a photo course with the IOP and there is a night field trip into town in a few weeks where we have to bring a tripod.

If i go out and buy one what do i need to look out for and for occasional use what should i expect to pay?

Any recommendations greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

There should be several others on here who will tell you other things and listen to them, just be sure to get one that is tall enough for you. Too tall is fine but too short and you will have a aching back before long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Three legs :p

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

jpb1974 wrote: »

Thanks for that, some very good information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

you can get a tripod in the likes of Argus Aldi etc. but they wont be much good except for the lightest of cameras, you need a good solid one that will take the weight and still be steady and not get blown over in the wind.
    Prices will typically start from around €120 approx for Tripod and head.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Lever clamps instead of twisters on the legs. 3 leg sections unless you need to fit it into a back-pack.

Decide if you want a ball or pan-tilt head. Or pistol?

Berminghams and Conns have lots on the floor to play with. You're probably looking at a Slik at E100-200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Both tripod and the head must be able to carry at least 50% more than is the weight of your camera and the heaviest lense. It should not shake in the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Really it depends on how much you see yourself using it after the course.. If you dont use one much then maybe borrow one.. The last thing you want to do is buy a cheap tripod and watch it crash to the ground after a gust of breeze, taking your pride and joy with it.
    Cheap tripods will struggle to hold the weight of a DSLR with any kind of serious lens on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I went into the Camera Exchange on Georges St, and asked the guy what he'd recommend. He asked me what cameras I had and he made a few recommendations. I ended up getting a Hama (?) tripod for about 35 euro, and it's grand. Used it a few times now and its great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

As others have said it depends on the camera setup you have. I had one of those cheap Hama tripods from Argos and I would not have had any comfort in it holding a 5dmkii with a 24-70L on it. Just too flimsy IMO.
    I now use a manfrotto 055XPROB which although it is heavy, it is very stable and I feel very confident about clipping my gear onto it.

If anything it's a tad too tall and I'm 6ft1 it's a very minor complaint though as the legs can be adjusted or you can compensate using the centre column which again is very sturdy even when full extended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement