Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mission Impossible 4 / MI:4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I thought Cruise had been removed from the M:I franchise after his split from Paramount? Still though I wouldnt mind another one, the first and third were great, M:I2 was complete rubbish though, didnt fit the tone of an M:I movie at all, the third was excellent though, that scene on the bridge was one of the best action scenes in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Nice one, definitely looking forward to this so.

I'm the same, didn't like #2. 1 & 3 were brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Hmm... I'm not too sure about this, since JJ Abrams remarked he'll likely be working on Star Trek II instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

yup MI2 is a weak one,but 3 is awesome! if they do it right then i dont mind to see Tom Cruise at all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

If both Cruise and Abrams are attached it could be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Sounds interesting, but trying to make carbon copy of MI3, even with Abrams onboard could fail miserably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

#1 was the only good one imo, the other two were awful. I was a big fan of John Woo when the second one came out, but it still sucked.. The third was just a big expensive turd (with the occasional nice action sequence and Maggie Q <3)

Would love to see them go back to a more basic international spy type film with a decent story, like the first, as opposed to a fairly pointless string of action sequences and painfully crap dialogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8667781.stm
    Tom Cruise has confirmed that Incredibles director Brad Bird has been hired to steer Mission: Impossible IV.

Bird, who also helmed Pixar's Ratatouille, had previously been named as a potential M:I-IV director along with Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland) and Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz).

"I dig Edgar. Very nice guy, very smart, very talented, I'd really like to do something with him," Cruise told Empire. "I met Edgar on the set of Mission 3. Simon Pegg and those guys are hilarious. I love Shaun Of The Dead. It's amazing. But we're working with Brad right now. I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about it but everything's signed... Brad is doing it."

The actor added of Bird's hiring: "The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, Ratatouille - Brad is enormously talented and [producer J.J. Abrams] and I are having a blast, cranking away. We're having a lot of fun. I like working with people I just love hanging out with. You get to hang out and laugh and talk stories and movies and technology: what are we going to do?"

Paramount earlier announced that Mission: Impossible IV will be released on December 16, 2011

Will Ethan be animated this time around :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Tom Cruise has confirmed that Incredibles director Brad Bird has been hired to steer Mission: Impossible IV.

If you're going to copy and paste articles all the time, at least link to and credit whoever you copy and paste from.

Interesting choice of director. Bird is a truly wonderful animation director - all three of his major releases are fantastic. Hasn't done live action before though, so should be interesting. He is an extremely talented action director, so it is promising. Would be great if Abrams was back, but Star Trek II is definitely more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

This will be Brad Bird's first live action film, nice! If his animated work is anything to go by, M:I IV has serious potential. Hopefully they'll go back to some of the previously attached talent, Edgar Wright and David Fincher, for later entries. The franchise is less serious than Bourne and Bond (these days). The only real criticism I have is the over reliance on the mask gimmick.

I'm something of a Mission: Impossible fan. The first is great, but it confused the hell of out me when I saw it in the cinema (I was nine!). The second remains something of a guilty pleasure. It's utterly stupid, but the action is fun; I refer in particular to the motorbike jousting scene and the subsequent showdown. It also epitomised what was "cool" in the early '00s, with the Limp Bizkit version of the theme. Dual pistols are eternally cool, John Woo forever!

The third is my favourite, Abrams did a great job. The out of sequence scene at the start really sets the tone, the viewer spents the whole film wondering when we'll reach that point and how it'll be resolved. The bridge action scene, as krudler mentioned, is excellent. Ethan has such effortlessly cool moments, like "Now I'm out".

Also, Keri Russell, Michelle Monaghan and Maggie Q? Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I dunno,

I liked the first I'm a john woo nut so loved the second but the third one left me cold tbh.

I'll give it a look and I admire the interesting director
    choice.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/confirmed-jeremy-renner-in-negotiations-to-join-tom-cruise-in-mission-impossible-4

Jeremy Renner on board now

He is a very talented underrated actor imo and would make a great villian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

i think the third is by far the best, brilliant film.

first one is decent enough but the second was atrocious.

Interesting choice of director, have high hopes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

i think the third is by far the best, brilliant film.

first one is decent enough but the second was atrocious.

Interesting choice of director, have high hopes

no, I think you misunderstand,

they didn't make a second one. they went from one to three. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Those big budget stupid action films are only good when the actors know how to take the piss in them....example: The Expendables

Tom Cruise actually thinks he could get an Oscar so tries extremely hard. Too hard.
    The franchise has been going down faster than a hooker in heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

the e first and third ones are far superior to the expendables, the third one is probably one of the best big budget hollywood action films of the last few years (not saying much though)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I rewatched the third recently and it truly is an unusually good action movie. Full of imaginative set pieces, tense action, a fun story (which, in stark contrast to the first particularly, makes sense too) and wonderful direction by Abrams. Definitely one of the better, and sadly often underrated, blockbusters of recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Sleazus wrote: »
    Hmm... I'm not too sure about this, since JJ Abrams remarked he'll likely be working on Star Trek II instead.

Surely you mean Star Trek XII Shirely :p

It would have been nice to see Abrahms back for number 4 since he did a very good job of 3 but Brad Bird sounds like an interesting choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Thought 3 was an excellent action movie.
    A pretty griping and tense opening sequence, bucketloads of OTT action, rescues, ludicrous heists & gadgets, epic siege scenes, chases, gun fights, Maggie Q, some even more silly gadgets, all spread out over a very diverse range of locations throughout. Phillip Seymour Hoffman providing a great namesis, and a few very tense and memorable scenes. Also, many things blow up! Ticked all the boxes for me anyway for an action flick.

I love 1 too but I'd nearly rate them: 3, 1, ....................................2.

The only good thing about 2 was Thandie Newton :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Am I the only one who hated III and loved II?

II grabbed me from the start. The rock climbing intro was just fantastic in my opinion. I admit I was not keen on the bike/fight scenes near the end, they were a bit too contrived, but the overall plot I enjoyed.

I'll admit, II was a very different movie to I, which I also love. III was neither I(a really good spy thriller, not knowing who to trust, etc) nor was it it II which was a John Woo, turn your mind off, action movie).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Will Tom try defeat Scientology?

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/09/28/josh-holloway-confirmed-for-mission-impossible-4/
    Josh Holloway is trading his years on an island for another impossible mission, this time with Tom Cruise. The Lost star has jumped from one J.J. Abrams world to another, signing on to join the Mission: Impossible team that’s reassembling under director Brad Bird (The Incredibles) and producer Abrams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Cool. When watching The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, I was constatntly thinking that Nyqvist would make a great villain in a movie, he just has that evil/sinister look about him.

Also glad to see Josh Holloway breaking into Hollywood in a big movie. He would definately be suited to this kind of movie. I could see him becoming the next big action-blockbuster star.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a284820/tom-cruise-reveals-mi-4-title.html
    Tom Cruise has revealed that the fourth Mission: Impossible film will be titled Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol.
    The actor said that the movie will include filming of the Burj Khalifa tower in Dubai but would not add any further details.
    He told Collider: "I'll be spending many days, many hours on the side of this building. I can't give you details, but I will be up there."
    In addition, Ghost Protocol will be the first high-profile production to be set mostly in Dubai.
    Director Brad Bird commented: "We love the fact that it's a big, new city, that it hasn't been photographed very much…It's almost like sets that you could never afford."
    Cruise was also questioned about a Top Gun sequel, to which he replied: "Those things are a long way off. It takes a long time to figure out stuff."
    Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol is due for release in December 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Basically the whole of Dubai as a product placement :pac:

Holiday placement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

AnyBody see the pics of the cruisers stunts he did for this film in the metro today he has some balls on him il give him that the mans a fuking mad man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

What's with the title ?

It should be: "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" or "Mission Impossible: Ghost" Protocol, not "Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol".

Anyway, I'd prefer "M:I IV" or "M:I 4"

I'm thinking about this too much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

ricero wrote: »
    AnyBody see the pics of the cruisers stunts he did for this film in the metro today he has some balls on him il give him that the mans a fuking mad man
    The answer to your question is here.
    iMax wrote: »
    What's with the title ?

It should be: "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol" or "Mission Impossible: Ghost" Protocol, not "Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol".

Anyway, I'd prefer "M:I IV" or "M:I 4"

I'm thinking about this too much...
    The answer to your question is here.

Desperate idea for a desperate title.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/jeremy-renner-talks-future-of-mission-impossible?ns_campaign=news&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=totalfilm&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+totalfilm%2Fimdbnews+%28Total+Film+IMDb+aggregate%29

Jeremy Renner has half-confirmed what we already sort of suspected: he could be taking the Mission: Impossible movie franchise over from series star Tom Cruise.
    Currently shooting the franchise’s fourth outing – which, tellingly, has dropped its numerals in favour of the reboot-nodding title Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol – Renner has discussed the future of the series.
    “It’s a franchise to potentially take over,” he tells MTV. “I can’t predict the future and what they want, but that’s certainly the idea.”
    Renner goes on to reveal that Cruise has been heavily involved in Protocol’s action scenes, while Renner himself has been training in hand-to-hand combat.
    “I haven’t gotten to work too much in terms of acting stuff, but the stunts have been insane… Tom has been doing loads. He’s crazy, that guy. It’s unbelievable. He’s fearless. He’s great to watch. He inspires me to want to be better.
    “I’m training in the gym and working out and fighting and doing everything I can to try and keep up. I’m doing hand-to-hand combat, Muay Thai and kung fu and learning how to take someone out quickly.”
    Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol opens December 2011.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I thought MI3 was very redeeming but I just don't believe this franchise is god enough to garner enough of a following to support a reboot.

I do like JR though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Looks good. I like the third one.... pity there is no Maggie Q in this one :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I found the trailer uninspiring. MI is trying too hard. It was grand decades ago when we lived in a world in fear of nuclear war but now that's all changed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I liked MI:3, I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt for now, I'm a little excited that it's Brad Bird's first live action movie but having said that there's other projects I would have liked to see him break his duck on like John Carter of Mars for example. Hopefully the trailer is playing up the Tom Cruise aspect, I thought I remember reading Renner's character is more the main guy in this or they're at least grooming his character to be the hero of any follow ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

faceman wrote: »
    I found the trailer uninspiring. MI is trying too hard. It was grand decades ago when we lived in a world in fear of nuclear war but now that's all changed.
    yeah noone really cares about nuclear war anymore, i for one would welcome it, how do i owe you E300k when your bank is burried in a creater, :D

plus tom cruise look retarded when hes running, it looks like hes being towed on strings and is just moving his feet really fast,

• Advertisement

feel like i watched the whole movie in the 2mins trailer. people really need to take a Trailer 101 course before they became a director :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Directors usually have no control over the marketing. But I didn't think the trailer revealed much of anything about the plot.

for an action movie i bet they have showed most (if not all)the climax scene in that trailer. plot? ethan's team is now branded as terrorist because they are framed by Evil Team X. Ethan's choice is to find out and crush Evil Team X. Evil Team X = some secret terrorist plans to destroy the world or lead by someone evil from their own organization/government. ending ethan hugging/kissing with a hottie.

the whole point of MI is about its 'impossible' action scene. i am not saying that i wont watch it in cinema but that trailer reduced so much hype for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I thought the trailer was good and am looking forward to it.
    Let's be honest, Mission Impossible films are never going to win an oscar for best script or movie. But they are what they are. Enjoyable action flicks.

Anybody else think it's odd seeing Simon Pegg with a gun :)

I love the first and third one, the second can fcuk right off its not even part of the same franchise as far as I'm concerned. MI3 was one of the best action movies in ages when it came out, the bridge scene is fantastic.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

nicklauski wrote: »

Anybody else think it's odd seeing Simon Pegg with a gun :)

Nope:pac:

hot-fuzz-angel.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

krudler wrote: »
    I love the first and third one, the second can fcuk right off its not even part of the same franchise as far as I'm concerned. MI3 was one of the best action movies in ages when it came out, the bridge scene is fantastic.

I like the second movie but that is because I like John Woo stuff

What annoys me though is that when they were making the second movie they were talking about why they went with a different director, they said it was because they wanted each Mission Impossible movie to be different

Only when the second movie wasn't popular did they row back on this and try and make the third more like the first movie

So I feel the second movie has an undeserved bad rep on this basis

I wouldn't agree that they rowed back with the third film. It's more similar to the first film than the second film, but second film can scarcely be considered a M:I film IMO. The third film meanwhile is basically an Alias film with Tom Cruise in the Jennifer Garner role. So Cruise continues to allow each director a great deal of leeway in how they interpret the films.

Story set-up in the trailer seems a bit peculiar., but hey I'll go with it given that Bird is handling it.

Third really is a fantastic film though - definitely an Alias vibe to it, but it moves along at a frantic pace and the story has some moments of great intensity. Thing I'm most concerned about is the absence of Michelle Monaghan who really grounded the last one and created a more credible sense of threat for Cruise to battle against - she's an actress who I always find myself rooting for.

Story set-up in the trailer seems a bit peculiar., but hey I'll go with it given that Bird is handling it.

Third really is a fantastic film though - definitely an Alias vibe to it, but it moves along at a frantic pace and the story has some moments of great intensity. Thing I'm most concerned about is the absence of Michelle Monaghan who really grounded the last one and created a more credible sense of threat for Cruise to battle against - she's an actress who I always find myself rooting for.

Phillip Seymour-Hoffman was an utterly brilliant villain as well, that opening scene is tense as hell it totally had the audience from the beginning. When I went to see it on opening night it was the usual friday night bag rustling phone using crowd and by the time
    Hoffman is about to shoot Monaghan and is counting down no matter how much Cruise is pleading with him
    there was silence as everyone was drawn into what was going on, and the move was all of 2 minues in at that stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement