Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mission Impossible 4 / MI:4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Aww, that doesn't look a patch on the 3rd movie. I'm no fan of Johnny lens flare but he delivered a relentlessly entertaining action movie in no. 3, it was the perfect movie for him.

No Monaghan, no Maggie Q, no Hoffman (Ok didn't expect him to be in it but still big shoes to fill), blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

I liked the second one, and it least it seemed to steer away from making Ethan Hunt a rogue agent, unlike the 1,3 and now 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Mickeroo wrote: »
    nicklauski wrote: »

Anybody else think it's odd seeing Simon Pegg with a gun :)

Nope:pac:

hot-fuzz-angel.jpg

I think I meant more in the mission impossible world. Cruise and Renner look the part and then Pegg just seems geeky. Maybe that's the way he's supposed to be seen as he's the tech guy.

I can't believe I forgot Hot Fuzz. That and Shaun are 2 of my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I like it. Glad to see Simon Pegg and the Guy from the hurt locker. Hope pegg doesn't have to be a pansy in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Ya, apparently the guy from the hurt locker is going to be carrying the franchise forward from here out.

Unless that was just a clever way to throw us off the fact that he's the bad guy.

I really like the franchise. Like 1, didn't hate 2 either as somebody else pointed out it got away from the rogue agent element plus it had some nice flourishes from the director, I compulsively watched 3, when it came out I thought 'yeah, that's okay.' But I've watched it over and over again since and really enjoy it.

Loved the trailer for this. Really loved it. Looking forward to the movie with great anticipation. Should be out around the time of Planet of the Apes which I'm really looking forward to as well.

It's been a really good year for films so far. Saw Transformers 3 today and it's not bad at all. I haven't been disappointed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I loved the 1st movie, great cast and great performances all round. I choose to forget there was ever a 2nd or 3rd.

To be fair the 1st one was of it's time, and it's too much to expect more of the same as the "rules" change with sequels and time, I'll keep an open mind for the 4th one based on what I've seen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

I'm going to eat my hat slightly and say I'm really looking forward to this.. The 3rd (apart from a couple of scenes) is still a waste imo. Delighted to hear there's no more Monaghan; I like her as an actress, but those scenes made me cringe so much I thought of leaving the movie at the start..(possibly the reason I dislike the movie as a whole).

Despite having what seems like a completely ridiculous story line, I like the look of the action scenes (I'm pretty sure nearly all of them are in there). I think cruise is a good action star, the fact that he tries to do a lot of the stunts himself really adds to it; the shots can me much more spectacular.

I'm just hoping the few wooden lines delivered there aren't a representation of the rest of the dialogue .. not that it matters a whole I guess. pew-pew!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 davidgrn

Tom is literally on the run again as a rogue agent. Queue obligatory shot of Tom Cruise running quite fast. Yawn.

Jeremy Renner makes it a little interesting and I hope Sawyer from Lost gets more than just a look in as "guy who has particular set of skills".

The trailer explains the set-up a little but I'm afraid it will be lame. I hope I'm wrong though. I love M:I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

krudler wrote: »
    I love the first and third one, the second can fcuk right off its not even part of the same franchise as far as I'm concerned. MI3 was one of the best action movies in ages when it came out, the bridge scene is fantastic.

the 2nd one was ruined by dougray scott and his sidekick who was meant to be south african but sounded like prince charles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I hated the 2nd one. The slow-mo action shots... Dougray Scott was an appalling villain... Tom seemed more interested in keeping his floppy hair in check, etc... Awful awful!

Really loved the 3rd one. It also had a decent supporting cast, I even liked Rhys-Myers in it (is he back for this one?). Seymour Hoffmann was brilliant in the villain role. That opening scene...

Is Ving Rhames back for this one? It would be the first one he's missed if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Agree that the supporting cast carried the film.
    Don't feel Cruise can carry anything on his own anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Surprised there's been no more mention of this film recently - it's due in December. From what I'm hearing, Ving Rhames is credited but does not appear in the trailer - make of that what you will.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Trailer looks great to be fair! If they keep it like MI:3 and tighten it up a bit it should be fun. The addition of Renner is good too. I like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Agree with above - 2 was one of the worst films I've ever sat through. But I loved J.J.'s version, even with a heavy aversion to anything Cruise does... I felt it was a very accomplished action film.

Looking forward to 4....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I really liked the 2nd Mission Impossible. The 3rd one was good too but the 2nd one if my favourite so far. The first one I find confusing.

• Advertisement

Never saw the second and can't remember the first.
    But enjoyed the third.

Is this a reboot so.

Is this a reboot so.

Doubt it. Seems a continuation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No, it's the 4th movie in the series, Simon Pegg from the 3rd film returns in the same role. It's an easy mistake to make though; as someone else on the internet pointed out, none of the 4 MI films look like they exist in the same universe as each other: each has it's own particular style & manner about it, almost like they're consecutive reboots.

Yeah, the films do largely stand alone and work individually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I got to be honest, the idea of Brad Bird directing a live-action movie has me both puzzled & excited at the same time. Truthfully I didn't even think he would know how to direct humans :D I don't care that much for the franchise, but the idea of Bird being in charge of this peaks my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

pixelburp wrote: »
    I got to be honest, the idea of Brad Bird directing a live-action movie has me both puzzled & excited at the same time. Truthfully I didn't even think he would know how to direct humans :D I don't care that much for the franchise, but the idea of Bird being in charge of this peaks my interest.

oh wait tom cruise human :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hawesome145

Nearly worth going seeking out in IMAX up in Belfast just for the Dark Knight Rises prologue before the film. First 6 mins of the film similar to what they did with the Dark Knight. Would prob stay for MI4 too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Trailer looks amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hmm, the second trailer's lessened my interest, tbh.

That trailer was remarkably bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

MI:1 - Good but found it slightly confusing..... Will require another watch. Also...
    When the car blows up in the car park near the start,why doesn't any other car beside it blow up too. :pac:

MI:2 - Meh. Not great even though I do like John Woo.

MI:3 - Thoroughly enjoyed it.

MI:4 - I'm looking forward to it. Not expecting anything really from it but I'll keep an open mind. Very much intrigued by Bird's live action directorial debut though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

fluke wrote: »
    I liked the second one, and it least it seemed to steer away from making Ethan Hunt a rogue agent, unlike the 1,3 and now 4.
    Exactly what I was thinking, but don't forget that the bad guy did put on an Ethan Hunt mask and pretend to be him, so they did get half way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

From the trailer it looks as if it will be as good as the third one (thanks mainly to the talented Hoffman).

Unfortunately they will never be able to make it as good as the first MI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That_Guy wrote: »
    MI:1 - Good but found it slightly confusing..... Will require another watch. Also...
    When the car blows up in the car park near the start,why doesn't any other car beside it blow up too. :pac:

Regarding your spoiler, explosions can directional.

• Advertisement

Just keep the same formula as the third and bolster it a little and I'll be pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

This is getting big red thumbs up all round @ rottentomatoes ! All 19 reviews fresh 100%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mission_impossible_ghost_protocol/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

sxt wrote: »
    This is getting big red thumbs up all round @ rottentomatoes ! All 19 reviews fresh 100%

You have never seen a mission grittier and more intense than this.

Rated PG-13

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

looking forward to this although at this stage they are not mission impossible movies but sheer action movies.
    Mission impossible is all about espionage and intrigue which was what the first one was all about but de palma tried to be a bit too clever and confused people slightly.

I love John Woo's hong kong movies but he had no place in hollywood with his outdated and overused slow motion.

The 3rd movie was great, some fantastic action scenes , good storyline etc.

I love Tom Wilkinson, JJ abrams co wrote it so should be decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sxt wrote: »

Glad this is getting such positive notices, was really unsure - those trailers didn't help... I mean eminem!?! - as to how Bird would transition to live action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Empire and Total Film gave it 4/5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Empire gave it a 3/5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Going to the premiere in the Savoy tomorrow evening, looking forward to it, can't wait to meet Glenda Gilson and Martin King! :D

*why can't I use sarcastic font yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Empire gave it a 3/5.
    I assume that's because the studio didn't them any exclusive interviews, set invites, free mugs or whatever Empire's price is these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

There's an issue of Empire on the coffee table next to me with Tom Cruise and Jeremy Renner on it ha ha.

A 3 out of 5 isn't to shabby anyways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

WatchWolf wrote: »
    There's an issue of Empire on the coffee table next to me with Tom Cruise and Jeremy Renner on it ha ha.

A 3 out of 5 isn't to shabby anyways.

In Empire terms, it's pretty much the equivalent of a war crime. A magazine whose quote unquote opinion is less prestiguous by the day. It's a sad day when you realise that the (often over pretentious) Sight & Sound is the only honest and insightful movie magazine that's widely available, although also a kind of liberating day. Although have heard nice things about Little White Lies, and The Ticket tends to be relatively thoughtful.

Oh, MI:4! I still look forward to it. Good to see encouraging reviews. After MI3, I'm happy to call if a not guilty pleasure of a franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Best photobomb ever?

PyIpM.jpg

tumblr_lwbkqjrT6W1qduuuxo1_500.png

So does Pegg actually have a large role in it this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I think he's one of the main team, isn't he? I think he's taken over Ving Rhames role as the tech guy/comic relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Just saw it in IMAX - excellent movie in terms of action sequences, and the plot is so cliche that you can ignore it and go along for the ride - nuclear launch codes and the like. It's just an excuse to go to different locations and do more extremely inventive spy stuff. The gadgets are better than ever, particularly in the hallway of the Kremlin. Simon Pegg does a great job of injecting wit into each sequence, and the Burj Dubai...I just remembered the only reason I ever go to the cinema - mental stunts on a massive screen, that's the recipe for adrenaline!

In a summer dominated by superhero movies, this is finally the full on, leave your brain at the door, enjoyable action film of the year I've been waiting for. This series may have legs on it yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

The Dubai action scene is absolutely awesome!
    Watching it in IMAX with Cruise hanging from the building was intense.

At the beginning of the sequence when he swings from inside to outside the window is so well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Am I the only one that thought this was fairly poor, rubbish plot, forced comedy with good action scenes. It's moved away from the previous 3 and tried to introduce a comedy element to it that was overdone. Some of Pegg's lines were too forced and the wit mostly didn't work however there were a few scenes where it did and these were great. The actions scenes were excellent as usual and I really liked the hallway scene in the Kremlin.

Maybe I was expecting too much after hearing it got so many good reviews, and watching the 3 previous MI's in the days beforehand, but I was left underwhelmed and disappointed by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Where is there an Imax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

not in ireland, thorbarry. I got to see it in toronto yesterday in imax, the dubai scenes, in that format, were breathtaking.

So worth watching it in imax if at all possible or at least the biggest loudest screen u can find.

I had some issues with mi4 but overall, not bad and a brilliant cinema experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

yep, fairly big, probably has the second most screentime in the movie, behind Cruise obviously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement