Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mission Impossible 4 / MI:4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is it ok to go watch this without having seen the previous 3? I'm usually allergic to Cruise (except for Magnolia) but there's shag all else on in the cinemas here until January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

kraggy wrote: »
    Is it ok to go watch this without having seen the previous 3? I'm usually allergic to Cruise (except for Magnolia) but there's shag all else on in the cinemas here until January.

Yeah its not like going to see Back to the Future Part 3 and spending half the film wondering how a Delorean ended up in the wild west.

The Mission Impossible films dont really follow any progression, or tell you anything you need to know for the next film. Go ahead and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

nah, they'er only really linked by the basic premise and Cruise's character, stylistcally they're all very different, which I like. except MI2, which was a load of balls. MI3 is the best of them so far (havent seen the new one yet). I'd go as far to say its one of the best summer movies of the past 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

you wont be lost at all, the MI movies arent not that connected, MI4 has some things to do directly from MI3, mainly just bits of dialogue about what may have happened to cruise's wife who isnt really in this...

Its largely a stand alone movie, go and enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i like it!!

you know, for some reason whenever jjabram is involved suddenly the movie has very smooth actions and nice story+character development. certainly not the best MI but it is a very good action movie. in fact, it is a family movie perfect celebrating the big days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I'm oblivious as to where all of the hype is coming from. The Dubai scene was great, but the rest was just meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

not great at all. Found myself getting bored as it entered the final act. Some decent action at times but feck all of any decent story. I really couldnt have cared less about any of the characters and the forced humour in it didnt work except when it came from pegg.

The worst out of the four movies for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Hoping to see this today and maybe GwDT tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The worst out of the four movies for me.
    Jesus.. worst than Woo's effort? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm told it's not as good as the third...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

I'm told it's not as good as the third...

Just back from watching it now and the third is definitely better imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I really liked it; haven't quite decided if it's better than 3. The plot is a bit convoluted, but the action scenes and chemistry within the team is great.

I was sure they were
    grooming Jeremy Renner to replace Tom Cruise, but it seems that wasn't the cause (for now at least)

I was a bit disappointed that
    Ethan's wife turned out to be alive. It would have been quite dark and interesting if the cover story were the truth. Of course, her being dead would have rendered Ethan's efforts in 3 a bit pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Saw this today too and I also really liked it! I am a big fan of MI:1 and most especially MI:3 - definitely one of the best action movies of the last few years IMO, so this new one had a lot to live up to. I hated MI:2!

Overall, I think #3 still has the slight edge for me. Hoffmann was a brilliant villain, he stole every scene he was in and I also liked Laurence Fishbourne's character in that movie. I think the new movie lacks a single strong or charasmatic bad guy.... The best action flicks always have a memorable bad ass bad guy - Hoffmann in MI:3, Rickman in Die Hard, etc!

That said, the new movie has a lot going for it. I thought the whole Dubai sequence was very good. The India sequence was also very good, if slightly confusing... maybe cos I was slightly distracted by
    the lead girl's dress / rack! And her changing out of said dress in the car!
    . I thought Jeremy Renner's character was interesting and he's definitely lined up to appear in future sequels. I was a bit disappointed that
    Sawyer from Lost lasted about 2 minutes! And it was a pity that Luther only had a cameo.

Finally, I know this sounds extremely odd, but does anyone else find Cruise's floppy hair really irritating?! Was much better when short in MI:3 :lol:

Overall, a big thumbs up for me. If you liked MI:3, you'll like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Half the best blockbuster of the year, half as formulaic a spy thriller as they come. It really does look fantastic, and there were a few moments where I definitely regretted the lack of an IMAX screen in Dublin. The entire Dubai act is as energetic, expensive and extravagant as blockbusters come, and it frequently hits that sweet spot between CGI exaggeration and plain old spectacle. And the
    projected hall
    scene is a masterstroke of tension - one of the most inventive gadgets ever put in an action film.

Story mostly cruises along amiably, but is utterly formulaic for the most part. The
    missile launch
    was a particular damp squib of a climax. Nyqvist isn't Hoffman, and as a villain seems like an afterthought at best. Overall lacks the raw energy and force of MI3, and as much as I appreciated the
    Michelle Monaghan cameo (a welcome face in a film already full of absurdly attractive women) it all felt awkwardly delivered.

Still, Bird has put every cent of his budget up and screen, and as a mind numbing event movie I haven't seen one this pretty in a long time
    (Kremlin CGI was dodgy, though)
    . Come for the spectacle, but don't expect anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Saw it last night and was disappointed. MI 3 was better as was the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Saw it this evening and liked it. Couldn't believe it was over 2 hours long. The time flew by. I would've like more of the theme song to be used like it was in the first film.

The action was good, some of the scenes were pretty damn tense and other parts were best described as "ouch".

I enjoyed it, poor villain but its entertaining enough and the entire Dubai sequence was fantastic. there are very few, if any A lister stars who would do what Cruise does in those scenes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Never seen any of the first three, so when i was asked along to this a few nights ago i had to be persuaded. But pretty glad i did now!

As i said, i cant compare to the ones which came before it, but i thought it was highly entertaining.
    There was enough going on in the scenes that were going on at the same that everyone's parts felt important.
    Sometimes i find in that kind of movie that the geeky character is very one dimensional and therefore never seems to become a point of tension for the viewer. Thankfully not in this.

Being an absolute Pixar fanboy through and through, it brought a massive smile to my face when i seen A113 referenced in the early portion of the movie.
    Also being a just as big fanboy for Lost, the fact that Josh Holloway was involved in those particular scenes made me feel like two universes i never expected would touch but did in this movie meant my brain was definitely going to tell me that what i was watching was amazing. Thankfully it wasnt lying to me.
    At least im not sure if it was. :pac: Not that i care too much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Basq wrote: »
    Jesus.. worst than Woo's effort? :eek:

yep

As a lot in here have said, they think its some good mindless fun. I would argue that if its some good mindless fun you are after then Woo s MIP did a better job of it than this effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Did anyone find the opening credits annoying?

I felt like they were spoilers and had to look away. Not sure if that's how the original tv series credits were done or if they were showing what's going to appear just to keep you interested.

red dave wrote: »
    Did anyone find the opening credits annoying?

I felt like they were spoilers and had to look away. Not sure if that's how the original tv series credits were done or if they were showing what's going to appear just to keep you interested.

I liked them, and yeah thats how the original series was done, sure most of the first movie is shown during the opening credits to that, but it moves so quick you cant make it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I wasn't crazy about the opening credits either and I thought the theme tune lacked a bit of oooomph! It sounded best when Larry Mullen and the Edge did it for the first outing!

I like the 3rd one myself, too short though:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Thoroughly enjoyable, the Dubai scenes are stunning. Could've done with a better villain I agree, but it's a great action ride and well worth seeing.

I didn't hate Simon Pegg either, which was something of an achievement in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

krudler wrote: »
    I liked them, and yeah thats how the original series was done, sure most of the first movie is shown during the opening credits to that, but it moves so quick you cant make it out

He meant the TV series, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Some cheek charging people to watch a apple/BMW advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I wasn't crazy about the opening credits either and I thought the theme tune lacked a bit of oooomph! It sounded best when Larry Mullen and the Edge did it for the first outing!
    It was Adam Clayton not the Edge.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I quite like the theme songs they write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Really enjoyed the film. Some great action sequences and moments of tension (the projector in the hall was class!)

Its a pity the villain had only a minor part to play and the whole premise of the plot is a bit dated.

Some genuinely funny moments where Tom Cruises height changes between shots
    like when they arrive at the party thrown by the Indian media mogul. Cruise is slightly taller than Jane, though as camera follows them through the party he shrinks by 2 inches

Also isn't Jeremy Renner in line to be the next Bourne?? How is he expected to carry 2 franchises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

tuxy wrote: »
    Some cheek charging people to watch a apple/BMW advertisement

They shudda used Soviet Era cars. Because we are all communists. ( And there were plenty of Android phones in it, at least I saw a phone with 3 buttons).

I thought this was great. Best blockbuster of 2011, which admittedly isn't saying much. I really don't care about characters in blockbusters ( the exception being the joker), just get the action scenes going. And the action scenes here were amongst the best I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

This was thoroughly enjoyable. Sure, it lacked a strong villain, especially after PSH's performance in the last one, but the action scenes and ridiculous gadgetry made up for it. I didn't want it to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Harry the Red

Just saw it last night - I expected to hate it (didn't like the third of), but it was good enough. The main flaw was that terrible actress. She keeps doing those same shocked faces.

For those of you who liked MI3, what was with that "Hump-dy Dump-dy sat on the wall" line all about? XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yahew wrote: »
    ( And there were plenty of Android phones in it, at least I saw a phone with 3 buttons).

Yes I think he was using what looked to be an Android phone for tracking during the sand storm. That device failed to work :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just saw it last night - I expected to hate it (didn't like the third of), but it was good enough. The main flaw was that terrible actress. She keeps doing those same shocked faces.

For those of you who liked MI3, what was with that "Hump-dy Dump-dy sat on the wall" line all about? XD

just a code for the fact he made it to the top of the wall I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Harry the Red

just a code for the fact he made it to the top of the wall I guess.
    I suppose that would make sense, but it doesn't explain why he looks at the camera while he says it. Was it a joke?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought this was terrific. Probably the most fun I've had in a cinema this year. It's still not quite as good as the last one, but close. The action scenes are fantastic - full of energy and beautiful to watch. Michael Bay could really do with taking some lessons from Bird. And Paula Patton is gorgeous!

This and Super 8 were the best blockbusters of the year for my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

mi4 is like a good bit of junk food i think...it's nice while you're eating it but afterwards you remember very little about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Maeki

I like it a lot.. so much action.. and the cars and gadgets are pretty awesome..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I thought this was terrific. Probably the most fun I've had in a cinema this year. It's still not quite as good as the last one, but close. The action scenes are fantastic - full of energy and beautiful to watch. Michael Bay could really do with taking some lessons from Bird. And Paula Patton is gorgeous!

This and Super 8 were the best blockbusters of the year for my money.

that green dress was pretty amazing, watching her not pop out of it was just as riveting as the Dubai scenes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

The Dubai scene was great.

Other than that thought it was pretty rubbish and Tom Cruise just comes across as creepy nowadays. Also I'm convinced there's some wierd scientology undercurrents going on in the film..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Ving Rhames
    was paid $7.7 million for his cameo, doubling the fee paid in the previous film. :O

To basically drink a beer and pull out his finger :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see this on monday.

im not a mission impossible fan and have only seen two in the cinema with the rest in bits and peices on the telly.

not mad cruise fan either.

basically went as i had a voucher that got me in two quid cheaper that was due to go out of date the next day.

i thought this was good. i enjoyed it alot more than the sherlock holmes film i seen the previous week or so ago.

ive heard alot of radio critics go on about it being overly action backed but it didnt seem so to me. had some great one liners, good cast that didnt act like bricks, some really good set pieces and some nice little inventive spy stuff.

all wrapped up in a pretty package with some deft direction from brad bird.

i wont be buying this on DVD and wont go see it again but it delivers a good popcorn muncher that whizzes along nicely with a touch of heart in it to boot.

i'd give it 6 out of ten.

but a "good" 6. if your a fan of the series i reckon youll rate it an 8 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I was looking forward to this for a long time being a Brad Bird fan and a fan of the first and third M:I movies but this was a truly terrible movie! Really really bad. I can't even remember half of it.
    Tom Cruise' character came off as a complete psycho prick.
    And the plot. By the end of it they were so many plot holes the movie didn't even make any sense at all.
    The only redeeming thing about this movie was that girl in her dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

From pillar to post, I absolutely loved it.

Such great fun, crazy gadgets, super stunts, what's not to like??
    The Dubai scenes had me nervous, and I wish I had the chance to see that in IMAX.
    Pegg was fantastic, although his comic relief could easily have gone the other way. Renner was super, it's great to see someone competent alongside cruise, instead of cruise being the best guy in the room. I'd be quite happy to see another couple of movies with cruise, renner, and pegg.
    I thought the girl agent brought nothing and anyone could have played her.

I'd give it 4/5.been a long time since I've had such fun watching a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Can anyone explain why he would
    fake his wifes death so she would be safe and at the same time lie to everyone and tell them she just left him? Surely the whole point of faking her death would be so that everyone thinks she is dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Anyone else notice the weird lack of dialogue from tom cruise in this film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

al28283 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why he would
    fake his wifes death so she would be safe and at the same time lie to everyone and tell them she just left him? Surely the whole point of faking her death would be so that everyone thinks she is dead
    That whole thing bewildered me too.
    Edit* he has no control Over rumours. He doesn't actually say what happens to her at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I haven't disliked a film as much as this in a long time. In fact the last film that I remember hating so much in the cinema was Tomb Raider... I left that half way through and I was tempted to get out of this one after an hour.

It reminded me more of a Johnny English film then Mission Impossible. The comedy was god awful and I spent the whole time wanting to punch Simon Pegg. I know that it is MI so obviously a bit far fetched but this just took it to another level of stupidity. There was basically no plot and it was just an excuse for mindless action sequences. The female lead was hot enough but a terrible actress.

I really loved the first Mission Impossible... it was a great action flick with an engaging story and excellent characters and a great story. MI3 was decent enough but this was back down to the depths of MI2.

Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I don't get any of these criticisms. There was a plot, clearly. An implausible plot but so what. It was there.

In many ways this was less far fetched than normal, because things failed to work. In fact they failed to work all the time. Masks didn't work. Timings were off. The gloves on the Dubai sequence failed to work, and they were more nervous than usual about it.

In any case the action sequences were great. Worth it for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 melancholy blues

Agree with above poster, it was worth it for the action sequences. The plot really follows the first film in a way, but don't loads of action films do that anyway? The plot is a minor vehicle to facilitate as much Tom Cruise running as possible. Which is always tremendous.

Advertisement