Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you let them know?

Options
  • 10-02-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭

Right, say there is this person you're fairly into, how would you show them? Would you tell them straight out or drop hints? If so, what hints?

This should be interesting:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

When I like a girl I tend to get really quiet around them and lose the ability to talk out loud or make eye contact.

It doesn't work that well tbh, I'd recommend a different approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭FLievre

Man...
    Had many many women in my life.... Many kids too (some I know some I don't)... Just go for it... Don't wait for someone else to get there first...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Don't beat around the bush, pounce on them in a club some night and you'll get your answer.
    Irresistable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Hotaru wrote: »
    Don't beat around the bush, pounce on them in a club some night and you'll get your answer.
    Irresistable.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if I'm just reading "pounce on them" in a different way than you'd intended.

No, seriously. If you drop hints and she is not interested how will you know she isn't?
    What type of person are you? Are you spontaneous? If yes, just go for it, be yourself. You want that person to appreciate you, not a person who drop hints. A person who drop hints might look to someone a a person who is afraid of taking charge, taking responsibilities. Women prefer the opposite...

• Advertisement

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if I'm just reading "pounce on them" in a different way than you'd intended.

You would.
    FLievre wrote: »
    No, seriously. If you drop hints and she is not interested how will you know she isn't?
    What type of person are you? Are you spontaneous? If yes, just go for it, be yourself. You want that person to appreciate you, not a person who drop hints. A person who drop hints might look to someone a a person who is afraid of taking charge, taking responsibilities. Women prefer the opposite...

I believe the OP's object of affection is of the male variety.

Depends on the women too...
    What style?
    Slapper = Quicky then GP
    Rest = Be yourself

FLievre wrote: »
    Depends on the women too...
    What style?
    Slapper = Quicky then GP
    Rest = Be yourself

Lovely.

But it is a male they're lusting after, at least according to this:
    sup_dude wrote: »
    Single, but gots me eye on someone.;) Except I am possibly the biggest coward in history so wont mention be letting him know anytime soon.:(

Doesn't make any differences... They were the same clothes...
    Im French, 15 years in Ireland and still the same question... Why on earth are women wearing mini skirts in winter but not in summer???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

sup_dude wrote: »
    Right, say there is this person you're fairly into, how would you show them? Would you tell them straight out or drop hints? If so, what hints?

This should be interesting:)

I've tended to go with the open and honest approach, and more often than not it's the best way to go :) Dropping hints can get messy, because different people might read the same signs very differently. It can be fun to play along a little bit, and dropping hints can be a big part of that, but the only way to be sure is to be direct. Maybe try to build up to it, rather than just blurting it out. If you've already had the chance to get to know the person a bit, then they've obviously let you hang around long enough ;)

There's no guaranteed route to success though, as every human being is unique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Dropping hints can get messy,

You're right on that one......... >_<

I've tended to go with the open and honest approach, and more often than not it's the best way to go :) Dropping hints can get messy, because different people might read the same signs very differently. It can be fun to play along a little bit, and dropping hints can be a big part of that, but the only way to be sure is to be direct. Maybe try to build up to it, rather than just blurting it out. If you've already had the chance to get to know the person a bit, then they've obviously let you hang around long enough ;)

There's no guaranteed route to success though, as every human being is unique.

Definitely true BUT you should be able to gather some sort of idea of how they feel about you from previous interactions. Don't go declaring your love to someone who never replies to your texts, ignores you in conversations, avoids being alone with you etc. You'll only be setting yourself up for heartbreak. However, if ye get on well together, chat frequently, meet up often (alone or in groups) and you get a general positive vibe from them, then honesty is the best way to go. Hints can and will only end in confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Erm, I guess I'd be fairly honest/blunt about it tbh. I learned a long time ago that hints don't work (men do not get hints generally :P).

Put it this way, hinting and looking for hints in what someone else says for that matter just builds things up way too much. Your expectations are way too high, and it could be ages before you find out if they even like you! And if they didn't, you'd be more disappointed than if you'd just told them earlier. If you just tell them and they don't like you in return, that's it. No silly drawn-out saga. And if they do, \o/.

Honesty works, despite how horribly nerve-wracking it is. It does take a lot of courage to tell someone you like them, but hey, it works. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Carrier pigeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Throw yourself at them, it's foolproof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Jaysus lads, word from the wise...

As an old timer, i have been there, done that. Tell her, tell her how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Just use a classy line such as "I think your a roide!" Or else go up to them sniffing and say something like "Is that cinnamon?"

Guaranteed to work!

May not work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I normally insult girls I like.. I don't know why. Instead of their name, they become "oi, slag/dickface/whore etc." :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

the whole "dropping hints" thing is a bit of an exagerration IMO.

If you like someone,get to know them,see if they like spending time with you and say in a slightly more tactful way "I LIKE YOU!!!"

I know for me,I tend to read too much into the whole "hints thing" and end up getting the wrong idea.

For me[and probably most guys] the plainer you are about it the better,it's not easy to come out and say it,but it clears up the confusion.

it's a bit obvious,but make sure you know whether they are single or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

M&S* wrote: »
    Just use a classy line such as "I think your a roide!" Or else go up to them sniffing and say something like "Is that cinnamon?"

Guaranteed to work!

May not work
    Why even tell them you like them.

does this rag smell like chloroform to You??? :p :pac:

i joke. Direct option is usually best, but not always as i have found.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Tell him/her you like them...seriously, no point in beating round the bush.

Give them time to think though because when someone throws information like that at you it can be really overwhelming especially when your not expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

brummytom wrote: »
    I normally insult girls I like.. I don't know why. Instead of their name, they become "oi, slag/dickface/whore etc." :/
    How's that working for ya ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

cian1500ww wrote: »
    How's that working for ya ?? :rolleyes:
    Not bad actually, most girls don't mind it/play along.

The main obstacle's my face

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yeah, telling them outright is the best thing to do tbh (is it the only way?)

All other ways are too awkward, and although I know it's scary for a guy to put his self at such an exposure, it's what needs to be done at the end of the day. You'll either regret never asking, ask and get rejected, which will suck extremely bad, but atleast you'll never regret not asking, or ask and get accepted, which is great.

The only time you'll not regret not asking is if you've found out the person isn't what they seem. Which is a good idea...get to know the person before you ask them out, if you don't, she'll probably reject you anyway (unless you're very good looking, like me).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

brummytom wrote: »
    Not bad actually, most girls don't mind it/play along.

The main obstacle's my face
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Timmy I really like you, what you've got a girlfriend? Well thats okay I've a shovel and a shotgun in the boot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Throw a brick with " I <3 u" written on it through her window at 3 in the morning. Girls go crazy for that. I also find women love it when you shout at them obnoxiously and demand a sandwich regardless of where you are.

phlegms wrote: »
    Throw a brick with " I <3 u" written on it through her window at 3 in the morning. Girls go crazy for that. I also find women love it when you shout at them obnoxiously and demand a sandwich regardless of where you are.

And if you ask for it toasted, it's all the more a turn on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Hotaru wrote: »
    And if you ask for it toasted, it's all the more a turn on.

Shut up and make me a sandwich.

• Advertisement

phlegms wrote: »
    Shut up and make me a sandwich.

Toasted?

Advertisement