Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokemon tournament!

• 10-02-2010 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

So I was sitting about when the idea struck me that maybe we could organise our own little boards Pokemon tournament. Either league or knockout, just something a bit social so we can all hone our skills on wi-fi :D

Anyone be interested?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'd be interested in this, although I'm not too sure about whether I could get WiFi working for a long enough period of time.

I have to connect via the WiFi USB connector on my laptop because it won't work with 64-bit Windows 7 on my desktop, and if my IP has changed since last time is stops working and needs to be re-installed :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've the same problem, I can get the WIFI to work on my DS.

Otherwise, it's a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm up for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

I've no idea how to get my DS to WiFi... any help? I presume it'll involve having to find the password for my wireless which my Dad has written down somewhere... it's like a bizillion numbers long:rolleyes:

It'd be fun though! Only started a new game on my Emerald though, all my pokemon are around level 40ish, I'd probably just get an ass-whooping

Ah, any one with high level Pokémon is bound to have some lower level one's too.
    No one's going to hit you with a lvl100 Charizard if you've only got a lvl40 Gloom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

CianRyan wrote: »
    Ah, any one with high level Pokémon is bound to have some lower level one's too.
    No one's going to hit you with a lvl100 Charizard if you've only got a lvl40 Gloom.
    Aw thanks:p
    Not a big fan of glooms really :P I love my Sabeleye though, and my Gyarados, so much effort to make Magikarp evolve... SO worth it!

Yeah we'd probably have to put some sort for level limit on the pokémon. Eg: have a tournament where pokémon between lv.50-60 are only allowed.

Keogg wrote: »
    I've no idea how to get my DS to WiFi... any help? I presume it'll involve having to find the password for my wireless which my Dad has written down somewhere... it's like a bizillion numbers long:rolleyes:
    It'll only work if it's WEP though. Although I think the DSi supports WPA.
    Keogg wrote: »
    It'd be fun though! Only started a new game on my Emerald though, all my pokemon are around level 40ish, I'd probably just get an ass-whooping

I'm not sure which games (if any) have the option, but I think there's an auto-levelling system which levels down Pokémon to Level 50 if they're over (reducing their stats etc.), meaning full 100-teams can fairly take on a squad of 55's.

There better be, otherwise my 80+ Japanese Platinum team will be a little weighted...

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

[offtopic] ^ They should really have made WPA accessable from the start, WEP is notoroiusly easy to crack password wise, it requires no skill. [/offtopic]
    Yeah we'd probably have to put some sort for level limit on the pokémon. Eg: have a tournament where pokémon between lv.50-60 are only allowed.
    And no legendaries, I'd imagine! If I can find my cartridge I'll be up for this. I think a bracket tourney like in the pokeleague of the tv series would be well cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

I believe Generation IV have the option to set a blanket level for all the pokemon players use.
    With regards to legendaries, completely agree with their not being allowed.

• Advertisement

Grand, shouldn't be too hard to do then :) And yeah, no legendaries! S'not fair that way

Why is it not fair to use legendaries?
    I completely disagree.

If you can catch them and train them with out using cheats, it's all part of the game and part of being a trainer.
    If you haven't been able to catch them and then saved after loosing to them/making them faint it's your own fault.

I've never gotten this anti legendary idea that some people seem to have.

I've never gotten this anti legendary idea that some people seem to have.

Because they're overpowered for the sake of being overpowered. An entire tournament filled with people using legendaries wouldn't be very entertaining.

They all have their strong and weak points, if you know your Pokémon and are a good trainer you have as good a chance against them as any, imo.

A bad trainer with a super powerful Pokémon will find themselves in a bad position very quickly.

They all have their strong and weak points, if you know your Pokémon and are a good trainer you have as good a chance against them as any, imo.

A bad trainer with a super powerful Pokémon will find themselves in a bad position very quickly.

The problem being they have so many strong points, either enormous speed or a huge defence and so few weaknesses its laughable.
    And what about a good trainer with legendaries? Unfairly unstoppable compared to the good trainer who raised and trained a team.

The problem being they have so many strong points, either enormous speed or a huge defence and so few weaknesses its laughable.
    And what about a good trainer with legendaries? Unfairly unstoppable compared to the good trainer who raised and trained a team.

Well if you really want to stay with the massive stats, how about we ban the likes of Tyranitar?
    You can raise it from level one, it's not a legendary and has ridicules stats. You can use a high powered attack that it's weak against and it will not take down much of it's HP and that's if you get to hit it, thanks to it's high speed and attack/Special Attack.
    There's plenty more just like Tyranitar, do we ban them too?

Sure, how about we abolish all powerful Pokémon and just battle with Ratatas and Pidgeys?

If you don't want the challenge then why bother?
    I get very bored of using my Infernape and have 1 hit KO's and having it say, "not very effective"

Bring out your Mewtwo's, Articuno's and Giratina's and give me the challenge I need.

Thanks.

Well if you really want to stay with the massive stats, how about we ban the likes of Tyranitar

Take a look at the stat differences between the two
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tyranitar_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#Base_stats
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mewtwo_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#Base_stats
    There is a big difference between them.

Another good point about the raising from level 1. You raise the pokemon, you don't catch it with a master ball and suddenly have an incredible monster. You have to go through the process of raising it.

No legendaries is fairly standard fair in tourneys I believe. They are generally caught at super high levels so there's no skill in raising them like your above example.

Take a look at the stat differences between the two
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tyranitar_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#Base_stats
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mewtwo_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#Base_stats
    There is a big difference between them.

Another good point about the raising from level 1. You raise the pokemon, you don't catch it with a master ball and suddenly have an incredible monster. You have to go through the process of raising it.

Bar Special Attack and Speed, they are very close and Tyranitar comes out on top more than once, so I ask you, what is your point?

Also, you have one masterball, you can use it as you please and there are multiple legendaries in the game which you are forced to catch with regular balls.
    I caught Dialga and Palkia with timer balls a lot easier than I could catch Beldum with the same ball and it took me two days to catch Heatran so that was not a case of throwing one ball and having a monster.
    Even then, Heatran is only level 50 when caught, Giratina is level 46.
    You can catch a Ratata at level 50 and various other ordinary Pokémon at heigher levels than both.

You might not be raising them from level one but your not getting a monster straight off the block.

What about Ragigigas?
    You catch it at level one, is he O.K. to use?

You can have as many master balls as you can win in the lotto, which isn't too hard with a load of traded pokemon.
    You can catch a Ratata at level 50 and various other ordinary Pokémon at heigher levels than both.

But that'd be nowhere near as powerful as a rattata that was raised. A level 50 ratatta that was raised from level 5 would easily beat one that was found in the wild at 50. However, legendaries can be caught quite easily as you said and they're already very powerful, more powerful than most pokemon.
    What about Ragigigas?
    You catch it at level one, is he O.K. to use?

You're just nit-picking here.

• Advertisement

You can have as many master balls as you can win in the lotto, which isn't too hard with a load of traded pokemon.

But that'd be nowhere near as powerful as a rattata that was raised. A level 50 ratatta that was raised from level 5 would easily beat one that was found in the wild at 50. However, legendaries can be caught quite easily as you said and they're already very powerful, more powerful than most pokemon.

You're just nit-picking here.

Tbh, I don't really like using the masterball, it sucks the fun out of the games.

It depends how the Pokémon is raised, you can raise them badly and their stats will reflect, and the same as if you raise them well.

Whether I'm nit picking or not, it's still true.
    If we're going to start banning Pokémon from the battles I want to see a specific reason for every Pokémon, rather than just, "No legendaries, no buts!"

Tbh, I don't really like using the masterball, it sucks the fun out of the games.

Definite ditto to this. Also, I'm always afraid a stronger pokemon will pop up and I'll regret having used it earlier :P
    It depends how the Pokémon is raised, you can raise them badly and their stats will reflect, and the same as if you raise them well.

Exactly, but with legendaries, they already have incredible stats, no need to raise them.
    Whether I'm nit picking or not, it's still true.
    If we're going to start banning Pokémon from the battles I want to see a specific reason for every Pokémon, rather than just, "No legendaries, no buts!"

I think I've made the reasons quite clear, legendaries come pre-packaged and take no effort. The exemptions of course are Regigigas and Manaphy, but Manaphy sucks anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Legendaries are generally banned because they're a small group that are really overpowered. If you want a chance of beating legends you'll have to use them yourselves and it's not much fun when every player's team is just a different combination of about a dozen pokémon.

Definite ditto to this. Also, I'm always afraid a stronger pokemon will pop up and I'll regret having used it earlier :P

Exactly, but with legendaries, they already have incredible stats, no need to raise them.

I think I've made the reasons quite clear, legendaries come pre-packaged and take no effort. The exemptions of course are Regigigas and Manaphy, but Manaphy sucks anyway :pac:

The lake Pokémon's stats are all fairly disapointing at first. It takes a good bit of training 'till you can use them with them fainting after one strong attack.
    As you mentioned, Manaphy is the same, along with Rotom.

So at that, do we allow these legendaries because they're not super powers right from the start?
    The likes of Palkia and Dialga, fair enough, I can see why would be less inclined to use these in battles.
    At that though, I think it should be up to the trainer whether they want to use them or not, out of respect.
    If they decide to use them because they didn't put in the time to raise powerful Pokémon from the ground up and get crushed by a serious trainer, all the better.

Every time I throw a master ball, I still feel like there's a chance the Pokémon will break free. haha
    And with multiple legendaries it's so hard to decide who to use it on.
    Pesky fecking master ball...

Legendaries are generally banned because they're a small group that are really overpowered. If you want a chance of beating legends you'll have to use them yourselves and it's not much fun when every player's team is just a different combination of about a dozen pokémon.

This is definitely not true, imo.

You can be guaranteed if they're allowed, they will be what most people will use.

Standard rules used very widely. :)

Right well, to bring this thing back onto the topic at hand - slightly - if anyone wants to see my lineups for my games, you can find them on my BP user page: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/User:TheChrisD#Parties

I am most likely to be using my Jap Platinum team, since I'm the most used to them and they're the most "set up" for more competitive battling like in the Battle Frontier. But I could fall back on the main Diamond team, or even the Jap SoulSilver team (their stats are different to what is shown there - they are now over Level 50!)

However, regarding legendaries, I have a mixed viewpoint. I'm all for them if you routinely used them in your main team for going through and beating the game, but catching them specifically for battling other people is a no-no in my opinion.
    And I'm not just saying that because Entei is in my SS team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

VGC for 2010 in the UK has been announced. No real details, but it's BACK! Save up your 1 cent coins for Ryanair folks, this year Ireland is going to STOMP the competition! Come on Irish pride, let's some 'em how we battle-Irish style!!!!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    You can be guaranteed if they're allowed, they will be what most people will use.

Standard rules used very widely. :)

I'm all for the no ubers!

• Advertisement

I use one or two legendaries in my team for getting through the game and have not battles other in years, so you can be sure I'm not all about that.
    Although, if I'm battling some one who doesn't want to use them, I wont use them but if some one is open to using them then I'll throw one in my team.
    My team also changes depending on where I'm going.

If I can get the funds, I'd love to go over and kick some ass!

Advertisement