Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I WANT to find my adopted brother,today

Options
  • 10-02-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

i just want to say firstly i am glad there is a forum for adoption,because reading evrything you guys had to say helped alot.
    i am 20,and my brother was adopted when we were young,heturned 18 lasy year and i am pushing on now to really wanting to find him,all i do is think about him. from what you all have to say to each other i know i shouldnt get my hopes up,but how can i not. how can i be prepared for him to neglect the fact he has a sister or even if i find him at all,how cn i prepare myself for such a let don,to know i have someone out there who shares the same parents i do,who probably looks like me?i cant,i wake everyday and i think of him and how much i want him in my life,i am currently in australia but return in april and will begin my search. i just want to know if any one out there has any information that might be helpful to me,while the info thats already is up was extremely helpful,i noticed it was from a couple of years ago and i dont want to miss anything.
    my mum thinks she saw his new surname without her supposed to and i know his date of birth,will this be helpful for me? i am also under the impression he lives in dublin.

HELP!

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Kate,

First of all- if you know his date of birth and his new surname- you're pretty sorted. As he's over 18, presumably he'd be on the electoral register- which is a public record and can be viewed by anyone.

I would advocate caution though- I understand your enthusiasm, and how you'd be thrilled to have him in your life- but you have to understand that its entirely possible that he may not have the same level of enthusiasm- or that he might rather meet your mum before he'd consider meeting you- or indeed, for his own reasons, its entirely possible he may decide that he'd rather not meet at this point in time- you simply don't know.

If it appears you don't have the correct name for him- the traceguides here should be of help to you.

Do let us know how things go- and indeed if you'd like to bounce any thoughts or ideas off anyone- the good folk here are very helpful.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kateisabella

hi shane,
    thanks so much for your reply,i think the intial thing for me was writing and explaining my story,it can be hard. thanks for your information.

i think im so far in now and emotionally involved in this that i just cant get beyond thinking anything else,which i know is wrong because i know i will be crushed if it goes any other way.
    do you think it will be easy if i have his surname and date of birth?
    perhaps i have the wrong surname,what would you reommend doing?

reply if your not to busy

thanks so much

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Kate-

You really need to be careful that your information is accurate.

If you have what you think is his correct name/surname- there is the 'Adopted Children's Register' where he and the names of his adoptive parents will be, along with the address at which his adoptive parents lived when final papers were signed (about a year after he was placed for adoption). Its entirely possible that there may still be a family member in the property now- or if not, that neighbours may remember the family, or have an idea of where they moved to.

The Adoptive Children's register is not out with the birth books- it has to be requested specifically at the counter, and some of the time it may only be available at the decentralised office in Roscommon.

Unfortunately its not the case that you're going to be given all the information you need on a plate- it is going to take some leg work on your part- but it is very do-able.

Best wishes,

Shane

Advertisement