Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holland and Barrett (principle issue, not price)

Options
  • 10-02-2010 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

I just purchased a couple of things in Holland & Barrett. And as they were large items, she offered me some paper bags.

Of course I accepted, so off I went with my stuff, I only looked at my receipt just there......

The fcukers charged me 12c each for a paper bag:confused:

So I've been charged 24c for bags offered to me, like any other shop, and they weren't plastic.

Is that right?

It's not the money, I'm not that tight:D but it's the principle:)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They don't have to charge for paper bags by law but obviously in this instance its the companys policy to charge, did they advise you of the price or is it listed anywhere in the shop?

If not you might have a case to complain in a valid way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Cabaal wrote: »
    They don't have to charge for paper bags by law but obviously in this instance its the companys policy to charge, did they advise you of the price or is it listed anywhere in the shop?

If not you might have a case to complain in a valid way

She never mentioned a charge, in fact she was the one that said to me: "Here I better give you 2 bags to be sure"

And I didn't see it advertised in the shop either, but I didn't go looking either for small type on a wall somewhere.

As said, I don't care about 24c, but she was the one offering me bags like they were free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They should tell you there's a charge before you accepted them. Ring back and ask is there a charge for the paper bags, then you'll know if it's standard or not. Maybe ask for the manager, and ask is it standard practice to not notify customers of this charge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jor el wrote: »
    They should tell you there's a charge before you accepted them. Ring back and ask is there a charge for the paper bags, then you'll know if it's standard or not. Maybe ask for the manager, and ask is it standard practice to not notify customers of this charge.

Also I'd suggest before doing this visit the shop to see if they have a sign up giving the price anywhere

Advertisement