Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Build

Options
  • 10-02-2010 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hello all,

Thinking about building instead of buying this time around. I threw this basket together pretty quickly on Komplett (so there's probably a couple of other bits and pieces to add). Anything obviously wrong/overkill/just-plain-stupid in there? I'm probably going to be looking at some relatively graphics heavy applications on this - 3D modelling, possibly some video editing etc. Comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

From what I can tell in other threads that PSU is massive overkill. 500 would be enough. 8gig is probably too much ram and it might be worth trading one of those hard drives for an SSD or maybe even a smaller faster standard hard drive for the OS to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd hang onto that PSU...lots of ppl get a crap and cheap PSU and then spend months on boards bitching about their build issues..
    Stick with it or get the lower 650w Corsair one. They really are the best PSU's on there.

8 gb of ram is a bit overkill if you plan on doing nothing special with it :)
    Make sure that the board supports 1600mhz with no issues....just do a quick google on it..
    All the rest looks fine to be honest...I'd beef up the video card if I was playing at 1920x1200 but that's just me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RayMc

ScumLord wrote: »
    From what I can tell in other threads that PSU is massive overkill. 500 would be enough. 8gig is probably too much ram and it might be worth trading one of those hard drives for an SSD or maybe even a smaller faster standard hard drive for the OS to live on.

The PSU is probably more than is needed alright but stepping it down to a 620 W only saves me something like €20 so I think I'll hang on to it. Why go with an SSD? I'd have thought they would be faster than a standard drive but loooking at the specs they both list a 300mb/s data transfer rate. I may need to educate myself a little more on this. I take your point on having a smaller faster drive for the OS but I was half thinking of going with a Raid 1 config which I understand works better with matched hard drives.
    Scar_L wrote: »
    8 gb of ram is a bit overkill if you plan on doing nothing special with it :)
    Make sure that the board supports 1600mhz with no issues....just do a quick google on it..
    All the rest looks fine to be honest...I'd beef up the video card if I was playing at 1920x1200 but that's just me :)

Might knock the 8 GB down to 6 or 4 - it's easy to install later if need be. It's not really going to be a gaming machine though some o f the demands will be similar. I usually run a dual monitor set-up at 1680 x 1050. Would you stick a single better card in there or go with two? I took a look at the HWVS site - the default on their gaming machine is 2 x HD 5770 cards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Other poster is dead right...keep the PSu its one of the most important components and often overlooked...and is the one item that will stay with you for future builds that you can transfer.

I would get the i7 920 D0 instead of the CPU you have picked its cheaper ...its a better chip and clocks like a mofo...this means getting triple channel memory 3 sticks over the dual 2 sticks but the bandwidth is massive.....and makes a big difference gaming especially with higher spec GPU's

Also I would deffo get an Asus mobo...I had 3 gigabyte boards fail on me....only one asus in all my years. This is just an opinion...each to there own.

Having said that....I notice you are getting a 5770 which is a fairly low spec GPU for todays games....DX11 or not. So if you are not much of a gamer I would not get any of what you ordered get a lower spec i3 rig....with the 5770.

If you are a gamer you are gonna have to get a least a 5850/5870 to have decent playable rates.....there is no point even considering nvidia cards like the 260/285 etc....

Hell if you are not a gamer I would go with an AMD setup which would be totally fine....and save a fortune.
    PM and let me know how you get on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

8GB ram will do absolutely nothing for a PC....it does not even use it. Total over kill, anyone with 8GB ram is doing it for an E-PENIS.....ffs.

An SSD drive is lightning quick as it uses SOLID STATE MEMORY (Like the RAM you are buying for the motherboard) They are the ideal drive to have but are too small and too exspensive at the moment. I mean all you would get on one nowadays is the O/s and two games.....

The samsung drive you have is ideal especially if you get two and RAID them.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

RayMc wrote: »
    The PSU is probably more than is needed alright but stepping it down to a 620 W only saves me something like €20 so I think I'll hang on to it. Why go with an SSD? I'd have thought they would be faster than a standard drive but loooking at the specs they both list a 300mb/s data transfer rate. I may need to educate myself a little more on this. I take your point on having a smaller faster drive for the OS but I was half thinking of going with a Raid 1 config which I understand works better with matched hard drives.
    I just found having the OS on it's own drive to be very beneficial over the years. All my data is on a separate drive so when the OS or computer goes belly up I can install a new OS without having any effect on the data or I can just pull out the hard drive with the data and put it in another PC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

PSU is utter overkill. 650W is more realistic, even a good-quality 550W model is fine unless you're doing something crazy regarding OCing and large RAID arrays.

And am I the only one here who has noticed that the CPU and mobo are actually two different sockets?! :eek: Can't stick that LGA1156 chip in a LGA1366 mobo! :o

Do you intend any gaming with this or are you only doing 3D modelling on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

RayMc wrote: »
    ... I'd have thought they would be faster than a standard drive but loooking at the specs they both list a 300mb/s data transfer rate. I may need to educate myself a little more on this. I take your point on having a smaller faster drive for the OS but I was half thinking of going with a Raid 1 config which I understand works better with matched hard drives.

That is the bandwidth of SATA II- the interface both HDD's and SSD's use. A Samsung F3 (HDD) has about 120/110 MB/s read/write while an OCZ Vertex Turbo has 240/145 MB/s read/write. You are looking at significant gains in access times, I/O and random read/write with a SSD. RAID 1 is for data redundancy and matched drives is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    8GB ram will do absolutely nothing for a PC....it does not even use it. Total over kill, anyone with 8GB ram is doing it for an E-PENIS.....ffs.

An SSD drive is lightning quick as it uses SOLID STATE MEMORY (Like the RAM you are buying for the motherboard) They are the ideal drive to have but are too small and too exspensive at the moment. I mean all you would get on one nowadays is the O/s and two games.....

The samsung drive you have is ideal especially if you get two and RAID them.....

If you are doing serious heavy HD video editing do consider 6GB/8GB of RAM (depending on sockets etc.). For most desktop/mainstream applications it is overkill but depending on the type of video editing/solid modelling you do it could be of benefit.

The only benefit you'd see from an SSD if you put games on would be faster loading times, no increase in FPS. If you are opening lots of heavy duty applications (video editing/modelling) whenever you turn on your PC, an SSD will cut down on these times. Tom's have an article on startup/loading times with cuh apps (opening Outlook, Adobe premier and other stuff from boot, Raptor [fast HDD] was 65 seconds, Intel X25-M SSD was 20)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RayMc

Solitaire wrote: »
    PSU is utter overkill. 650W is more realistic, even a good-quality 550W model is fine unless you're doing something crazy regarding OCing and large RAID arrays.

And am I the only one here who has noticed that the CPU and mobo are actually two different sockets?! :eek: Can't stick that LGA1156 chip in a LGA1366 mobo! :o
    easily fixe
    Do you intend any gaming with this or are you only doing 3D modelling on it?

Bugger, I was sure I picked a 1156 board - ah well, couple of mouse clicks will fix that, cheers. Time to take another run at Komplett I think. Oh, and not a lot of gaming, unless solitaire counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you thought about cooling for the processor? are you going to overclock it down the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

here is your build with a different motherboard and prebuilt ex delivery

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/safebasketdetail.jsp?profil.scbsk_show=553710

Advertisement