Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting composite drylining boards onto existing plasterboard?

• 10-02-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi

Apologies if this question has been posted before, but I can't see a reference to my particular dilemma.

We have an upstairs room in our small, late 1970s semi detached home which is very cold so we want to dryline two of the external (solid, no cavity) walls, both of which have plasterboard on them but about 1cm of air in between the boards and the bare walls. There is a small window on one wall.

My dilemma is whether to take down the existing plasterboard and the battons and just attach 50mm thick composite insulation plasterboards directly onto the walls, and then plaster or paper over it.

Or would it be just as effective (and less work) to attach thinner 30mm composite boards to the existing plasterboard, then plaster and paper over it. I appreciate this would be at the expense of some interior space, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Would there be anything wrong with doing the latter?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭volvo 240

Itsfixed wrote: »
    Hi

Apologies if this question has been posted before, but I can't see a reference to my particular dilemma.

We have an upstairs room in our small, late 1970s semi detached home which is very cold so we want to dryline two of the external (solid, no cavity) walls, both of which have plasterboard on them but about 1cm of air in between the boards and the bare walls. There is a small window on one wall.

My dilemma is whether to take down the existing plasterboard and the battons and just attach 50mm thick composite insulation plasterboards directly onto the walls, and then plaster or paper over it.

Or would it be just as effective (and less work) to attach thinner 30mm composite boards to the existing plasterboard, then plaster and paper over it. I appreciate this would be at the expense of some interior space, but that doesn't bother me too much.

Would there be anything wrong with doing the latter?

Thanks in advance

When I renovate our bungalow when we move I am going to metal rail the exterior walls and then pack the space with at least 100mm of fibreglass and then plasterboard with the silver backed stuff and then plaster it.
    In our old place in northern France we have 40mm backed polystyrene backed plasterboard and the mice love making tunnels in it. I insulated another room with 40mm compressed rockwool backed plasterboard in a green colour and the mice do not like it and it keeps the room warmer than the polysyrene backed plasterboard, but does cost more.
    In your case I would remove the plasterboard but keep the battens and then fix the new insulated plasterboard to the battens and then get it plastered. My reasoning for removing the old plasterboard is you could then buy or put in thicker insulation/boards. Keep warm. James:)

Advertisement