Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Objects that have taken on alternative functions

• 10-02-2010 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently studying for a master's in Interaction Design and am investigating how we attach emotions to inanimate objects.

Currently I am looking at how objects can take on new functions through user interpretation, desire and need. An example of this is using a beer mat to prop up a wobbly table. Another example could be using a chair as a ladder. These uses were not originally considered in the design of the product but through user experience it can be said that if you are sitting at a wobbly table in a pub the first thing you do is look for a beer mat or if you need to change a lightbulb but can't reach and don't have a ladder then you look for a chair.

I am looking for you lovely people to suggest other objects that have taken on alternative uses through user experience. Objects that were designed for one purpose but we now equally associate them for alternative uses.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 R0B0T_R0CK

I dont know if this is helpful at all but
    teapots and toilets for plants?
    a book as a door stop?
    :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

its not an object..

the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I just lit a couple of matches as I left the toilet...

Perfect for odour control...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Fungtank wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently studying for a master's in Interaction Design and am investigating how we attach emotions to inanimate objects.

Currently I am looking at how objects can take on new functions through user interpretation, desire and need. An example of this is using a beer mat to prop up a wobbly table. Another example could be using a chair as a ladder. These uses were not originally considered in the design of the product but through user experience it can be said that if you are sitting at a wobbly table in a pub the first thing you do is look for a beer mat or if you need to change a lightbulb but can't reach and don't have a ladder then you look for a chair.

I am looking for you lovely people to suggest other objects that have taken on alternative uses through user experience. Objects that were designed for one purpose but we now equally associate them for alternative uses.

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Design-Everyday-Things-Donald-Norman/dp/0385267746

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=emotional+design

Both these books are v.helpful and interesting. HCI is an interest of mine as well. Good luck with your idea.

Advertisement