Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA - J1 job prospects

Options
  • 10-02-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

ANyone any advice on how holiday visa jobs would be in the US?

I'm planning to travel around America in summer 2011

Preferably I'll tour the west coast, work in Vegas [bars, hotels, retail, anywhere really...] for a while, then tour the east coast

I'm tryin to figure out wether I should bother getting my J1, or just tour for 5 weeks without workin?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

At the moment the job situation on the West isn't great but you're talking about going in a year and a half, anything could change by then. The J-1 visa is quite expensive if you're only going for a holiday. Are you thinking of working in a bar for a month or two and then going across to the east coast and doing the same? Its difficult to get a summer job in a bar or something for just a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yeah, for about 10 weeks I'd say

either way I'd be doin about 4/5 weeks travel, half n half each coast

If I was to work, I'd want to work in/around Vegas as thats the last stop of my West-coast plan
    I have loads of retail exp but would also try to work in hotels / bars etc

It's not really abt the money, as I shud have enough to saved to see what I wanna see, but I'd like to spend the summer away, May - August

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

In my opinion not worth it, you're looking pretty far ahead but I'd just go for the holiday, forget the hassle of looking for work and paying for visas. Just make sure you have a statement from work or something saying you'll be going back to Ireland.

Advertisement