Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Frog Spawn

• 10-02-2010 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Can people report here when they see the first frog spawn please:) by the way i havent seen any yet
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Angus Og

Out a while where I am.

A friend's flickr stream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sam2cents/4326220996/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Well today 1st March I saw the first frogspawn locally in one of two marshy pools I pass by everyday.

No doubt there will be tons more to come in the next couple of weeks.

Happy days:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Saw some frozen solid in a mountain ice puddle, does that count?
    Being first isn't always the smartest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

recedite wrote: »
    Being first isn't always the smartest.

Too true. I don't put much store by when or where the first frog spawn is seen. I'd rather know that the stuff is viable or will survive the cold snap.

It's a bit like the first Swallow. "Wow we saw one on 12th March!" but the numbers for the year may be disaterous. Likewise with the first Cuckoo - often now the only Cuckoo in the area and not much good to anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

According to last Sunday Times, there are 16 recorded frog spawns, and 2 swallow sightings (!) in February.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I saw some up on Gallows hill on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Am walking the Bangor Trail tomorrow. Will report. When it comes up there, it bulges way out above the water line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

funny you should mention that i am planning on doing the bangor trail this summer..can you pm me how long it takes and where to start..i presume beside kiltane football pitch's..to keep this on topic... i would like some frogspawn for my garden pond in dublin...i know its illegal so dont berate me. but if anyone comes across some that has been put into a ditch that will dry up or a piddle which happens every year can you pm me so i can get it..in the west dublin area.

funny you should mention that i am planning on doing the bangor trail this summer..can you pm me how long it takes and where to start...

http://mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php?walk=56

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

MarkR wrote: »
    I saw some up on Gallows hill on Sunday.

There seems to be early spawn up on the Clare hills for the last few years for some reason. Saw some not too far from the golf ball area last week.

Struck me as odd given the frosty weather over the last 8 weeks and given that it is generally colder up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

No frog spawn up Bangor Trail yesterday.
    Did see two laying into eachother though.

I went for a long walk there along streams and ponds and no sign of any..i think it may be another week or so before they start really going for each other...

i would be very interested in any sightings of newts or toads in the wild..i have never seen a toad, well how could i we only have the natterjack in kerry. i have seen plenty of newts but not since a teenager.

There are newts in my front pond every year. They usually turn up in late March/early April. I've never seen newt spawn though, but they must be breeding, there are a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭RichieRich

is it illegal to take frogs spawn?

I haven't heard that it is. I think a lot of people would be in trouble if it was, and I doubt they could enforce a law anyway.

I think selling it would be, it is in Britain as you aren't allowed to sell wild animals.

Someone else will probably be able to clarify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

from the heritage council website...

"Frogs are protected under European Legislation because they are scarce in Europe in general. So it is an offence to interfere with them or with their spawn. However, they are not endangered in Ireland and can be studied in class and frog spawn can be collected for educational purposes. Accordingly, a general Licence has been issued by the National Parks and Wildlife Service [NPWS] to all centres of Education in Ireland to collect and study them etc as per page 33 of Wild Things at School."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Just found 2 clumps in our small pond in the sunny south-east. Am delighted, as we installed the pond 2 years ago hoping to encourage wildlife to visit our garden. Posted a photo in the Photos Sticky at top of page.

Well done. Are they frogs in the photo, too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Yes they are! There were 4 in the pond when I was taking the photo. If you look at the frog to the right of the submerged pot, you'll notice that he/she is actually standing on another one.

Up to today they'd only been "active" at night. But today, they were in full view. Must have been the sunshine made them feel romantic :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's nice. I was thinking there were two together beside the pot, but wasn't sure.

Seems to be a nice little pond. :)

RichieRich wrote: »
    is it illegal to take frogs spawn?

In a word: NO.

It can be collected under licence and Schools have a general licence to do so for educational purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Walked Orange route in Glendalough on Sat, quite a bit of destroyed and frozen frog spawn in places

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

none here not even seen any frogs this year .Usually lots of frogs and frog spawn by now but no sign of either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Can the spawn survive frost?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Today is the first frost free morning in ages, and the Frogs seem to have taken their cue. Went for walk this morning just north of Castlebar - frogs and spawn everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In the gutter / stream alongside the path leading from Baravore (Glenmalure) up to the hostel today we not only saw quite a bit of frogspawn, but dozens (literally) of writhing frogs getting down and dirty making more of the stuff! It was almost an orgy going on in there, despite the temperatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Frogs have gone wild in our ponds again.

At least 20 of them going mad in one pond, tonnes of spawn. Other pond has about 5 fresh lumps.

I think we counted ~30 lumps of spawn last year. On wet days (after a dry spell) its impossible to get the car down the driveway due to adventurous frogs. Have to keep the doors closed too or they're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Where do adult frogs normally live when resting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

has been so dry here in sligo that a frog has spawned in a washing up bowl outside my back door poor thing mush have been bursting. i am surrounded by bog on which you can walk in shoes, unaturaly dry, had to water daffodils !

Advertisement