Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heartbreak & Weight Loss

• 10-02-2010 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

This is not in any way a complaint, but how come when girls go through big relationship break ups/heart break the weight just falls off? Is it down to stress or something, I've literally dropped over a stone in a month and while the first 4 or 5 days I couldn't eat a thing, I'm since back eating properly and am still losing pounds daily and its been about 6 weeks.

Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

It could be down to stress. It could also be that in a relationship you always (from my experience anyway) seem to eat more, especially a lot more junk food. When you are single you watch what you eat a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

It's happened to me, dropped about a stone and half when I broke up with an ex before. When my recent relationship ended I lost about 10 pounds, got back to normal after a few weeks or months.

I'm a guy btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

I would've thought that too except I really haven't changed my eating habits and had even had a week of junk food there the other week due to me being run off my feet every day and not being prepared..
    You're probably right about the stress

n8zPyro wrote: »
    got back to normal after a few weeks or months.

Don't say that!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

Same thing happened to me, my long term boyfriend broke up with me a couple of months ago and the weight fell off even though I was constantly eating junk, especially over Christmas. I still can't wear loads of my clothes because they are falling off me but I think I'm slowly getting back to normal.

I've read that stress can effect your metabolism but I also agree with Bryn, even though my appetite is back now, when I was living with my ex I'd be more likely to cook big meals whereas now it's just me the laziness takes over and I think "a sandwich will do"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I think your appetite has a lot to do with your mental well being...
    When people are feeling down in the dumps, for whatever reason, they often lose their appetite because they are more concerned with their feelings, the on-going chaos around them etc.
    Eating meals becomes less of a priority and more of a chore, in some cases.
    Bryn wrote: »
    It could be down to stress. It could also be that in a relationship you always (from my experience anyway) seem to eat more, especially a lot more junk food. When you are single you watch what you eat a bit more.

I agree with this. When you're comfortable with someone, it can be all too easy to eat junk and let your weight slide a bit. Nothing wrong with that though, in moderation. It's nice to relax and not have to stick to a diet, sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Never happened to me after a break up.

But I went through yucky bouts of depression when I was younger and would not physically be able to eat for days. I'd try to force myself to eat but just couldn't, would be able to drink either. And thus lose weight, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yarr tis not just the ladies. After my first big break-up, I was skeletal for a few months. Just didn't feel like eating. I knew I should but I felt sick every time I put food to my mouth. It was a horrible feeling and took a while to get healthy again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

This is not in any way a complaint, but how come when girls go through big relationship break ups/heart break the weight just falls off? Is it down to stress or something, I've literally dropped over a stone in a month and while the first 4 or 5 days I couldn't eat a thing, I'm since back eating properly and am still losing pounds daily and its been about 6 weeks.

Anyone else experience this?

Just noticed this thread. Big yes, any form of stress or anxiousness puts me straight off food because I feel like vomiting all the time. I wish like hell my body would choose another way of dealing with these things, I'm going through this at the moment. When clothes started to get a bit loose I decided to step on the scales this morning, and within a week I've slipped 9lbs :(

I started dry wretching this morning on the way to college in the car which was scary :/

9lbs in a week isn't very healthy at all ! If that continues it could get dangerous, well that all depends on your current weight of course !

• Advertisement

n8zPyro wrote: »
    9lbs in a week isn't very healthy at all ! If that continues it could get dangerous
    My apologies, I get it in bouts - but didn't mention I always bounce back once I get things sorted. I'm used to it by now, theres no need for concern.
    well that all depends on your current weight of course !
    "Worrying yourself sick", is not good, regardless of your weight. You seem to be implying that there is a weight-loss plus side to this, take it from me there is not.

Abigayle wrote: »
    Just noticed this thread. Big yes, any form of stress or anxiousness puts me straight off food because I feel like vomiting all the time. I wish like hell my body would choose another way of dealing with these things, I'm going through this at the moment. When clothes started to get a bit loose I decided to step on the scales this morning, and within a week I've slipped 9lbs :(

I started dry wretching this morning on the way to college in the car which was scary :/

You poor thing, that's awful.

I can understand losing weight if people physically can't eat due to upset, but I've been eating perfectly normal amounts, and its still dropping. The metabolism thing makes a lot of sense, maybe that's it..

You poor thing, that's awful.
    Thanks, it will pass :)
    I can understand losing weight if people physically can't eat due to upset, but I've been eating perfectly normal amounts, and its still dropping. The metabolism thing makes a lot of sense, maybe that's it..
    Thats really odd, you should get it checked out alright. Hope you get it sorted soon :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

This happens to me too. I've experienced periods of prolonged shock in my life where I didn't have normal eating habits for weeks or even months on end. I simply could not bring myself to eat: I might have one proper meal a day. I can always diagnose shock in myself now because I immediately lose my appetite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I was dumped 4 months ago and I lost loads of weight. I lost my appetite completely. A lot of my clothes dont fit properly. Recently however I have taken to eaten a heroic amount of Dairy Milk bars and pick n' mix jellies on a daily basis so I am sure the weight will pile back on pretty quickly.

Hermione* wrote: »
    This happens to me too. I've experienced periods of prolonged shock in my life where I didn't have normal eating habits for weeks or even months on end. I simply could not bring myself to eat: I might have one proper meal a day. I can always diagnose shock in myself now because I immediately lose my appetite.

Exactly. Sometimes when something is bothering you, even the food smells you normally absolutely love make you nauseous! :(

I don't think that people understand it properly, unless they experience.. It repulses me when I'm worried / anxious.

I don't think that people understand it properly, unless they experience.. It repulses me when I'm worried / anxious.

Yes I always thought I was the kind of person who finds comfort in food, until I experienced grief. I get sometimes things are so bad, you feel inconsolable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Yes I always thought I was the kind of person who finds comfort in food, until I experienced grief. I get sometimes things are so bad, you feel inconsolable.
    Exactly Moonbaby - when I experienced grief, nothing consoled me and food simply turned my stomach.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nightwish wrote: »
    I was dumped 4 months ago and I lost loads of weight. I lost my appetite completely. A lot of my clothes dont fit properly. Recently however I have taken to eaten a heroic amount of Dairy Milk bars and pick n' mix jellies on a daily basis so I am sure the weight will pile back on pretty quickly.
    Aye dumpage is the only thing that's ever done that to me..food doesn't even enter your mind, for me. It was get up, sit or walk my dog in a daze until 8pm(me going to bed then tells you something is seriously wrong!), no, reading, tv, computer, anything, go to sleep and repeat, didn't even consider food, didn't cross my mind. I don't understand the hate of food people here get but people react differently so I can understand that. Yep, you get your appetite back, I got mine back too much, must sort out. :-D

hiiii OP. I'd just keep eating regularly and not worry abut it, your body will get back to normal..not eating for ages ****s with your metabolism and w/e. Try B&Js? :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Lynnsie

I was exactly the same for the first couple of months, it didn't matter what I ate it just kept dropping off. It seems to have levelled off now, I'm thinner than I was but it's not still dropping.

If anything I was probably eating more than usual as because I was loosing weight people presumed I wasn't eating and kept trying to feed me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

i must get himself to dump me for a few weeks.... haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Yep, been here OP! :o

Dump-age generally tends to suppress my appetite so long as there's tears and on top of that I find I get more nervous energy. I won't sit still and even when I do I'll tap foot/jig leg while sitting, so I probably burn off most of the meagre amount of food that way as well!

Generally getting stressed and insomnia can have the same effect on me as if I'm too busy I won't eat properly and then if I'm overtired I tend to lose interest in food and cooking.

Try to eat as much as you can, even little and often if that helps, and it should resolve itself as you get back on an 'even keel' emotionally :)

I always find that you lose the most weight initially and then it slows so if the weight loss continues to be drastic over a period of time see your doctor as there may be an underlying cause!

My apologies, I get it in bouts - but didn't mention I always bounce back once I get things sorted. I'm used to it by now, theres no need for concern.

"Worrying yourself sick", is not good, regardless of your weight. You seem to be implying that there is a weight-loss plus side to this, take it from me there is not.

Well thats good so ! :)

That wasn't really what I was getting at. It's be like a 14-15 stone 5'9 person shedding about a stone or two of that, it wouldn't be un-healthy in the sense that they'd be then under weight, but say a 8 stone 5'9 person shedding the same weight it'd be considered boarderline dangerous. Get me ?

Both situations would be unhealthy because it's anxiety or emtional distress causing the weight loss of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Just like to add my support and understanding to all as I can relate to a lot of what's being said in the thread and and also good to see some male views and expierences.

In my case I tend to feel full quite quick so have to work up an appetite as much as just eating because the clock say's ' it's time to eat ' and some days it's more about forcing yourself to eat .

But having additional emotional stress , worry and anxiety which I know all to well , makes eating more of a chore and food seems tasteless .

Latchy wrote: »
    Just like to add my support and understanding to all as I can relate to a lot of what's being said in the thread and and also good to see some male views and expierences.

In my case I tend to feel full quite quick so have to work up an appetite as much as just eating because the clock say's ' it's time to eat ' and some days it's more about forcing yourself to eat .

But having additional emotional stress , worry and anxiety which I know all to well , makes eating more of a chore and food seems tasteless .

Great point, and for a guy to say it its a relief :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

emotionals stress, greif and many other related sadness.

People cant allways deal with there problems, people these days are locked in a box, of emotions...They feel like talking to people about it "i dont wanna be bothering my friends about it" How many times on a Pi thread.

Has any one read that.... Id be guessing for some people who post in that, 50,000 at times.

as for food to me food is pleasure, Im skilled actually since Iw as 7 but to me cookings like meditation...

now im gonna break it down....

Preperation for food takes motivation +1 for not sitting there saying im not hungry

then the actual cooking which is meditating your concintrating on what your doing. which takes your mind of things. +1

then the eating. Pleasure=satisfaction +1000

Tha fact of the matter youle feel 20 times better then you did when you've taken time to cook a healthy meal..To enjoy an explosion of flavour firing through your mouth is something people should be doing healthyly when down not mention the antioxadents wich are good and the endorfinj realease...One could possibly get.

its a fact....you dont have to corge on fatty pastrys full fat butter etc

something as easy as some mauntuat, striped carrots, noodles and chicken...or beef....fish even...

The fact of the matter is people stay missrable its easy, its hard work to keep happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Happened to me before Christmas also, lost 8lbs and I don't think much has gone back on. Doesn't sound like much but I didn't need to lose any really. I kinda prefer myself like this though so he did me a favour really. :P

emotionals stress, greif and many other related sadness.

People cant allways deal with there problems, people these days are locked in a box, of emotions...They feel like talking to people about it "i dont wanna be bothering my friends about it" How many times on a Pi thread.

Has any one read that.... Id be guessing for some people who post in that, 50,000 at times.

as for food to me food is pleasure, Im skilled actually since Iw as 7 but to me cookings like meditation...

now im gonna break it down....

Preperation for food takes motivation +1 for not sitting there saying im not hungry

then the actual cooking which is meditating your concintrating on what your doing. which takes your mind of things. +1

then the eating. Pleasure=satisfaction +1000

Tha fact of the matter youle feel 20 times better then you did when you've taken time to cook a healthy meal..To enjoy an explosion of flavour firing through your mouth is something people should be doing healthyly when down not mention the antioxadents wich are good and the endorfinj realease...One could possibly get.

its a fact....you dont have to corge on fatty pastrys full fat butter etc

something as easy as some mauntuat, striped carrots, noodles and chicken...or beef....fish even...

The fact of the matter is people stay missrable its easy, its hard work to keep happy...

Thats a really good point, esp the bit about motivation, i think that's the difficult part!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Oh God am I the only one who turns to food in a crisis :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Opposite for me... Though I think that's also down to starting college this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pinkpigs

Nope. Marriage broke up, moved home with folks. Dad hates to see me so miserable = gives me huge poritions = four weeks later I now look like a baby rhino:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i might have lost a few of those seasonal pounds that have been building had i not got an aul careen, now i dont get those walks into town anymore as ive become a rather lazy student!
    was still hearbroken, but well fed as i made more trips to the shops in the careen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Think its stress. Normally when i feel anxious i eat more. But this time round when me and him broke up and cancelled the wedding, my stomach has been in knotts the whole time. Added to the fact that i havnt slept in 3 months, im not feeling great at all
    I cant even be bothered to eat half the time. Ive lost weight, and i dont actually want to put it on again

Advertisement