Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reaction To Hazards!

• 10-02-2010 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Right so I have a test coming up and I failed my last test due to my reaction to hazards.
    I cant really afford a lesson before the test so I was wondering how do you correctly react to a hazard ie a car parked along the road.

Do you have to look over your shoulder?
    What mirrors do you check?
    Can you indicate too early/late?
    If there is a car parked along the road and another car parked about 20 metres down from it do you have to go round one car, back in, round the other, back in, or do you go round the first car and stay out until your past the 2nd car? (hope that makes sense)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ADI34722

Exocet wrote: »
    Right so I have a test coming up and I failed my last test due to my reaction to hazards.
    I cant really afford a lesson before the test so I was wondering how do you correctly react to a hazard ie a car parked along the road.

Do you have to look over your shoulder?
    What mirrors do you check?
    Can you indicate too early/late?
    If there is a car parked along the road and another car parked about 20 metres down from it do you have to go round one car, back in, round the other, back in, or do you go round the first car and stay out until your past the 2nd car? (hope that makes sense)

We were just disscussing this here in the office. When moving out it should be done early provided the way is clear. It is not necessary to indicate out around the car but you wont be marked if you do. Please ensure you check the mirrors in good time. Where i can see you picking up a mark is when you indicate round a parked car and there is a right turn close to where you are. You could pick up a mark for "Misleading" in the signal section of the test sheet.

If you have to stop to allow other cars pass "Right of way" then you should indicate round the car but leave enough space between you and the parked car infront that you can overtake easy.

As for the distance between the 2 cars once your out and the way is clear then stay out enough that you can guide the car round with ease. Dont over exaggerate the move but have it natural and flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

As soon as you know you're going to have to move out if there's no oncoming traffic or there is enough space you should check your rear view mirror, then your right one and then indicate only if there is somebody behind you or someone to indicate to. You wont be marked down for indicating when there is nobody around but if you only do it when there is someone there then the tester will know that you're paying attention to your surroundings. it's up to you really depending on how much you want to have to think about.

If the car is on your side and there is oncoming traffic you may have to stop or slow down and give them the right of way and if it is on the opposite side be careful that other drivers are going to abide by the same rule.

Another thing that comes under the hazards catagory is the distance you leave between the cars when you're passing. You're supposed to leave enough space for the door of the car to fly open or if you can't you have to slow down sufficiently.

As i mentioned earlier it's better to move out as soon as you notice the hazard (within reason) so there's no need to move back in between the cars.

Hope this helps and good luck in the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Exocet

Thanks for the help guys. Just to clarify, you dont have to look over your shoulder or check your blindspot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I think you should pay the 30euro for one lesson rather than another 75euro to re-test.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

I have to say I agree with mariaf24 one lesson would probably help a lot. I have a number for one of the best instructors in North Dublin if you want it. give me a pm.

+ You shouldn't have to look over your shoulder to move out slightly to avoid a car. If for example the parked car is blocking one of two lanes it could be different. You generally have to check the blind spot for changing lanes so in that case you would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Sorry for a kind of a hijack but I have a very similar question too.

Once I was driving on a narrow two lane road, there were cars parked in a row to the left so to give them room, I had to pretty much end up driving almost through the middle of the road. My driving instructor told me I had given too much space to the parked cars and I could be penalised for that in the test as now I could have been a possible hazard to oncoming traffic.

I felt I had kept a doors with gap between me and the parked cars (could had been a little more). Because it being such a narrow street, I had ended up in near the middle of the road. So in such a situation how much distance do you reckon I need to maintain from the parked cars?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Sorry for a kind of a hijack but I have a very similar question too.

Once I was driving on a narrow two lane road, there were cars parked in a row to the left so to give them room, I had to pretty much end up driving almost through the middle of the road. My driving instructor told me I had given too much space to the parked cars and I could be penalised for that in the test as now I could have been a possible hazard to oncoming traffic.

I felt I had kept a doors with gap between me and the parked cars (could had been a little more). Because it being such a narrow street, I had ended up in near the middle of the road. So in such a situation how much distance do you reckon I need to maintain from the parked cars?

Thanks.
    Where its not safe to cross the middle of such a road you'd slow right down and be less than a door width away from parked cars. You only allow the door width where it is safe to do so, otherwise slow right down so you can react to a door opening or pedestrian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭J_R

Exocet wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys. Just to clarify, you dont have to look over your shoulder or check your blindspot?

There are two types of blind spot checks.

1. When stationary at side of the road full backward shoulder check before moving off.
    2. When changing road position quick shoulder check.

Change Position
    What to do if you need to change your position

* If you are overtaking, turning right or passing pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders or other road users or parked vehicles, make sure it is safe to do so.
    * Always check in your mirror for any vehicles coming up on your right or overtaking from behind, and don't forget to check your blind spots.
    * Give a clear signal to warn traffic in good time of your intentions and proceed.

Regarding indicating. Normal driving, indicate if it would benefit other road users, do not indicate if it would mislead.

However in the test I would indicate then cancel immediately you have reached your new road position.

Advertisement