Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

• 10-02-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

TIPPERARY%20CREST.jpg

I have decided to start this thread, because it's the Tipperary forum and hurling is a huge part of what makes us proud Tipperary people. Few do it better after all. I considered putting it in the GAA forum, but opted for here to breathe some life into the Tipperary forum.

I hope to see it used by hurling fans, right throughout the league campaign and especially when summer comes, and with it comes the big games against the big teams. We welcome discussion on your opinions on the condition of hurling within Tipperary, your hopes for 2010, our chances of dethroning Kilkenny, team selections, match previews and reviews, and all things hurling related. Of course it's not confined to just the Senior panel but all inter-county panels and their exploits. Needless to say contributors from other counties are welcome too.

Basically I intend to see the thread as a point of information for Tipp fans on Boards right across the county and beyond. So spread the good word and let's just hope we can get something from it.

I am gonna start by wishing Liam Sheedy and his panel the very best for 2010. The season begins under lights on the 20th February in Semple Stadium againt Kilkenny in the NHL.

Tipperary GAA web site

Tipperary Hurling Tipperary GAA Premierview

Tipperary Supporters Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

great idea let's hope it takes off. really enjoyed last years hurling. pity about the final. still had a great day out!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Very welcome OP and should be a sucess. I'll get the ball rolling here so, does anyone know if any sort of preliminary panel has been drafted for the minors for the coming year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

There doesn't seem to be much information on the Minor squad available yet. I would assume the management team are gathering their players by now alright. It's only 11 weeks to the first championship outing: April 28th @ 6:30pm - vs. Cork (Pairc Ui Chaoimh) - 2010 Munster Minor Hurling Championship Quarter-Final.

There doesn't seem to be much information on the Minor squad available yet. I would assume the management team are gathering their players by now alright. It's only 11 weeks to the first championship outing: April 28th @ 6:30pm - vs. Cork (Pairc Ui Chaoimh) - 2010 Munster Minor Hurling Championship Quarter-Final.

Yeah I was in UL there last week and spoted the Limerick Minor panel training so id imagine they are doing something at this stage.

In other very welcome news imo the great Eoin Kelly has been named as captain for the forthcoming year with Declan Fanning as vice-captain, delighted for the guy and hope we can give him the AI he so greatly deserves.

In other very welcome news imo the great Eoin Kelly has been named as captain for the forthcoming year with Declan Fanning as vice-captain, delighted for the guy and hope we can give him the AI he so greatly deserves.

Very true, an undisputed legend is Kelly and the captains armband is thouroughly deserved. Good call Liam Sheedy. Finally they have broken that tired tradition of giving the captaincy to the club champions captain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Yeah I was in UL there last week and spoted the Limerick Minor panel training so id imagine they are doing something at this stage.

Yep,Eoin Kelly is a great choice for captain and he deserves it.lets hope he can stay fit for the rest of the year and lift the Liam Mc Carthy cup next September.:cool:

13/02/2010
    SH Challenge game

Tipperary 1-20 Dublin 1-17

The Tipperary team and scorers were as follows - Darren Gleeson; Conor O'Brien, Paul Curran, Diarmaid Fitzgerald; Brendan Maher, Declan Fanning (Captain), Shane Maher; Benny Dunne (0-1), Gearoid Ryan (0-1); Seamus Hennessy (0-7, 0-3 frees), Hugh Maloney (0-2), John Devane (0-2); Pat Kerwick (0-1), Micheal Webster (1-0), Patrick Maher (0-1)
    Subs: Michael Heffernan for Pat Kerwick, Seamus Callanan (0-4, 0-2 frees) for Micheal Webster, Paul Kelly for Hugh Maloney, Jody Brennan (0-1) for Seamus Hennessy, Shane McGrath for John Devane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Anyone goin to Semple on Saturday?

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Anyone goin to Semple on Saturday?

Certainly am, hat and hip flask at the ready... ;)

Yeah,Im heading up myself,First big game of the year.Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

As per usual Liam Sheedy will intend to use the league as a serious preparation for the championship, so a good start is very important to stay in the competition as long as possible. OK it's Kilkenny but they are beatable, especially on a cold night in Thurles if we tear into them. Should be a lively affair now. Throw in for half 7. Will both stands be open does anyone know?

I heard that the Ballyhale Shamrock players wont be playing Sunday due to the Club final, we've certainly got the beating of them if thats the case. I wonder will many new faces be starting?

Yes you would assume that key Ballyhale players will get a break from the inter county scene until after Paddy's Day, which makes for a glorious opportunity to steal a march on our rivals. Not too many other teams in Div 1 will take a scalp from Kilkenny.

There will be some new faces in Saturday alright, but not wholesale changes from last year I would expect. Going on the team above that lined out v Dublin there's not too many surprises. Good to see Seamus Hennessy scoring 0-7, with only 0-3 from frees. I would be very hopeful the can overcome Kilkenny on Saturday.

BTW I may draw ye're attention to the Boards NHL Pools, as a bit of an interest throughout the league. Anyone interested the rules are on Pg 1, its quite straightforward and maybe a bit of fun.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055806920

Yes you would assume that key Ballyhale players will get a break from the inter county scene until after Paddy's Day, which makes for a glorious opportunity to steal a march on our rivals. Not too many other teams in Div 1 will take a scalp from Kilkenny.

There will be some new faces in Saturday alright, but not wholesale changes from last year I would expect. Going on the team above that lined out v Dublin there's not too many surprises. Good to see Seamus Hennessy scoring 0-7, with only 0-3 from frees. I would be very hopeful the can overcome Kilkenny on Saturday.

BTW I may draw ye're attention to the Boards NHL Pools, as a bit of an interest throughout the league. Anyone interested the rules are on Pg 1, its quite straightforward and maybe a bit of fun.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055806920

Yeah, it'd be nice it Hennessy got a bit of momentum going, he could very well be a handy player.

Callanan too, 0-4 with 0-2 from play after coming on as a sub. He's still only a young lad, but he showed signs last year that he could develop into a quality player in time. Sheedy really is the man to nurture these young lads isnt he? He has done some job for us, I cant give him enough credit!

Aye Seamy Callanan is a right player in the making. Come on a tonne recently and still such a young age. He'll win an All Ireland Senior medal I have no doubt. Hard work is required though, but as you say Ger, they have to right man to inspire them in Sheedy.

That's it, if they can hang on to Sheedy, they'll have players like Callanan and Noel McGrath winning plenty of medals. He's the man to develop them into the quality players they have the potential to be. Really interested to see the line out for saturday now!

Tipperary Senior Hurling team lineout's for the 2010 Allianz GAA Hurling League will be announced by email at 9pm on the Thursday night preceding each game. The team will also be published on the Tipperary GAA website as soon as possible after 9pm. Any changes to these arrangements will be announced in advance.

Thomas Stapleton (Templederry) and Pa Bourke (Thurles Sars) are definitely out for Sat due to recent illness, while Michael Woodlock (Drom and Inch) and John O Neill (Clonoulty R) are out for the entire NHL campaign due to serious leg injuries.

There are 3 other new panelists – Jody Brennan (Upperchurch Drombane) and Michael Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg) who are both forwards and David Young (Toomevara) who is a defender.

Setanta Ireland are showing this match live too, programme starts at 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Good thread.

Slightly off topic post, though.

As a Dub who married a Tipp woman and I am now living in Tipp, I can testify to the obsession that is Tipperary Hurling for Tipp people!

My nextdoor neighbour is on the Tipp panel and played in the Championship two years ago.
    (I won't mention any names).

I see the sacrifices this man makes to be play the game at the highest level.

Admire the dedication and sacrifice and ability.

Yeah, it'd be nice it Hennessy got a bit of momentum going, he could very well be a handy player.

Callanan too, 0-4 with 0-2 from play after coming on as a sub. He's still only a young lad, but he showed signs last year that he could develop into a quality player in time. Sheedy really is the man to nurture these young lads isnt he? He has done some job for us, I cant give him enough credit!
    We badly need a couple of new scoring forwards to come through this year,I hope Seamus Hennessey can make the grade because he is strong physical player and imo just what we need in the side.

We definitely need at least one championship level half forward for this year. I think that line was an achilles heel last year for us.. If there's an improvement there then we're in business.

• Advertisement

Do ye think Lar will keep up his great form from last year?

Almost every year before that he was very touch and go, he really stepped up last year and my opinion on him completely changed. Hopefully he will keep the form going, he was clinical last year

I'm with ya on Lar, I used to get dogs abuse for being a critic of his up until last year, then when he hit top form last year, and impressed me greatly I got the usual I told ya so's!! But I was happy to eat the humble pie. I see no reason why he can't contunue playing at this level. I sincerely hope he does because if he doesn't we're in trouble. I think he can handle the pressure. He has proved me completely wrong but doing it consistently year on year is the mark of a great forward, I now believe he can become that player.

Brendan Cummins,

Conor O'Brien, Paul Curran, Brendan Maher,

Declan Fanning, Padraic Maher, Shane Maher,

Benny Dunne, Shane McGrath,

Seamus Hennessy, Seamus Callanan, Hugh Maloney,

Eoin Kelly, Micheál Webster, Noel McGrath.

The team features 9 players that started v Kilkenny in the 2009 All Ireland final. Liam Sheedy has opted for an experienced side, there are no league debutants in this team.

Not a bad side to start the league with,looks like Sheedy is going to persist with Webster for another while.It's a strong enough backline also,great to see Kelly lining out so early in the year.Best of luck to them on Sat night.

That half forward line doesnt look up to much tbh, Maloney is not and never will be a forward, and as for Webster - I better not comment wouldnt want to get banned from my own county forum!!

Anyone know what the story with Conor O'Mahoney is, hasnt featured in pre-season but yet has never been mentioned as one of the injured players??

Its an experimental line up in alot of ways yet all these players have alot of championship experience.
    Its an experienced back line. O'Brien i would have my worries about pace wise compare to young Stapleton who was tremendous in the All Ireland final. Hugh Maloney might be ok in midfield or half back line, Perhaps he will switch with Benny at some point. this fixture is always considered a bit more then a match to any Tipperary or Kilkenny person outside the respective panels but both sheedy and Brian Cody will know that this gives them both a chance to see how strong their panels are. I think its great sheedy is shuffling his pack as it keeps players on their toes. O'Mahony or stapleton or whoever else might think,"jesus i could be danger of losing my place here if these guys have a good game".

To be honest its not the end of the world tomorrow night if Tipperary are beaten so long as they make a good game of it. Sure, our nearest and dearest neighbours up the road could well take the bragging rights tomorrow night but its all about the bragging rights on the first Sunday in September. i for one would take them any day of the week and i beg to guess most tipp fans on this topic would feel the same.

Your last point is very true tippgunner.. I would take an All Ireland title next September over any other sporting event imaginable.. But one step at a time, tomorrow's game is the first stepping stone and while a win isn't crucial it is very important pyschologically that we stop the rot. Losing to KK four times on the spin wouldn't do much for morale. We don't want a niggling feeling in the players minds that they are an unbeatable team. If that sets in then we are doomed before we begin. I am not suggesting that is present in their minds, or Liam Sheedys but we must be careful not to let it develop.

Your last point is very true tippgunner.. I would take an All Ireland title next September over any other sporting event imaginable.. But one step at a time, tomorrow's game is the first stepping stone and while a win isn't crucial it is very important pyschologically that we stop the rot. Losing to KK four times on the spin wouldn't do much for morale. We don't want a niggling feeling in the players minds that they are an unbeatable team. If that sets in then we are doomed before we begin. I am not suggesting that is present in their minds, or Liam Sheedys but we must be careful not to let it develop.

You make a good point about pyschology. that is something that worries me too. What would another defeat to kilkenny do to Tipperary psyche? You only have to look at Cork footballers who can beat Kerry anywhere, even killarney, but not croke park and many other teams who seem to suffer of fear of winning more then the fear of losing.

that is the only negative i would have about a defeat tomorrow night. perhaps it will be a draw :D

We feckin better win, I have money on them!! :pac:

• Advertisement

We feckin better win, I have money on them!! :pac:

Is that betting with the head or the heart now Ger?! I think they will win it by a few points tomorrow. Though I wouldn't gamble with the prices offered.

Advertisement