Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Rumour has it, this is the starting 15 for Saturday:

B Cummins

C O Brien
    D Fanning
    M Cahill

S Maher
    C O Mahoney
    B Maher

P Maher
    S McGrath

J O Brien
    S Callinan
    G Ryan

N McGrath
    E Kelly
    L Corbett

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

looder wrote: »
    Rumour has it, this is the starting 15 for Saturday:

B Cummins

C O Brien
    D Fanning
    M Cahill

S Maher
    C O Mahoney
    B Maher

P Maher
    S McGrath

J O Brien
    S Callinan
    G Ryan

N McGrath
    E Kelly
    L Corbett

where did you hear this rumour??

Leroy Lita wrote: »
    where did you hear this rumour??
    Off the same man that gave me the team v Cork about 12 hours before it was released to the public.

We'll find out in 12 minutes or so if it's true or not :)

Official team (sorry about above)

1. Cummins
    2. Mickey Cahill
    3. Fanning
    4. Foxy O’Brien
    5. David Young
    6. O Mahony
    7. Paudi Maher
    8. Brendan maher
    9. Shane Mcgrath
    10. Gar. Ryan
    11. Callinan
    12. Bonnar Maher
    13. Noel Mcgrath
    14. Lar Corbett
    15. Eoin Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

i'm happy enough with that given injuries, red cards, form, etc...

• Advertisement

Will23 wrote: »
    i'm happy enough with that given injuries, red cards, form, etc...
    The 2 doubts I have are about Foxy corner back and Bonnar Maher. I'd rather see Foxy out midfield if anywhere but with Paddy Saint injured, he's probably the best choice corner back we have.

Bonnar will hopsfully give a bit of steel to the half forward line but he wouldn't be the best out and out hurler. I would have giving Johno one more chance.

Hopefully it's good enough to see past the Wexicans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

So, Curran and Stableton are injured John O' Brien is dropped and Bonnar Maher is in for O meara,I really hope Gar Ryan and Bonnar can make a differance to the forwards I always had good time for Bonnar would love to see him take his chance.best of luck to the Tipp team.

tippspur wrote: »
    So, Curran and Stableton are injured John O' Brien is dropped and Bonnar Maher is in for O meara,I really hope Gar Ryan and Bonnar can make a differance to the forwards I always had good time for Bonnar would love to see him take his chance.best of luck to the Tipp team.

I like Bonnar's direct style myself and have fond memories of the 2007 minor All Ireland and catch and head for goal attitude he had. We've longed for that type for years. Hope he can take his minor reputation to senior level. Some idiot in the times last year maintained "The likes of Limerick would appreciate him, while he may never make the Tipp 15" around All Ireland semi final between the two. Total and utter baloney! Gearoid Ryan looks a tidy hurler but maybe tipp need aggression. Festy is a big loss. Obviously Liamo must be reading this thread the way he dropped Johnno.

Probably not the best time to be posting this so close to a Tipp match but anyways. The draw for the Glanbia South Senior Hurling Semi-Finals has taken place tonight live on Tipp fm.

Carrick Swans vs Mullinahone
    Carrick Davins vs Killenaule

I'm shocked that this is the way the draw went as I was expecting two derby matches. However, it's the draw which we would have wanted. We have to make amends for last year's semi and hopefully we'll do just that.

The dates that these matches will be played depend on how Tipp get on in the Championship. Possibly the w/e of July 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Probably not the best time to be posting this so close to a Tipp match but anyways. The draw for the Glanbia South Senior Hurling Semi-Finals has taken place tonight live on Tipp fm.

Carrick Swans vs Mullinahone
    Carrick Davins vs Killenaule

I'm shocked that this is the way the draw went as I was expecting two derby matches. However, it's the draw which we would have wanted. We have to make amends for last year's semi and hopefully we'll do just that.

The dates that these matches will be played depend on how Tipp get on in the Championship. Possibly the w/e of July 25th.

Would have loved a Derby too :D Maybe in the final......

• Advertisement

Tough one there for ye Looder,as much as I would like to see the Swan winning this game I don't think it will happen,hope I'm wrong though.Can't see the Davins overcoming Killenaule either but I hope they put it up to them.I wonder what's the chances of one of these games being played in Kilsheelan ?

Tough one there for ye Looder,as much as I would like to see the Swan winning this game I don't think it will happen,hope I'm wrong though.Can't see the Davins overcoming Killenaule either but I hope they put it up to them.I wonder what's the chances of one of these games being played in Kilsheelan ?
    To be honest, I'll be quitely confident. Mullinahone are a good side but they rely on The Currans and Kelly an awful lot. If you keep Kelly to a few points from play (which we have done in the last three times he's played against us) and don't foul it's hard to see them getting scores. Seanie Curran is always good for a goal or two though and links up with Kelly excellently. Depending in when the match is played, Paul could even be back. I think the plaster is off the leg which is good to hear. We should have beat them in last years semi (although they were missing Kelly, but we were missing O' Hanlon who would be our main scoring threat). It'll be a close hard fought game and is probably the stand out game of the two.

On the other game, I hope it's a close match, and I think it could very well be. When these sides met in the league section, Killenaule beat them by 14 odd points but Davins had a lot of possession, but just did nothing with it. Ballingary were able to beat Killenaule so Davins will be hoping to do the same. However, Festy will probably be back and rumours are going around that Joe Ceaser is home too which will make it very difficult for Davins.

My early predictions are: Swans by the minimum and Killenaule by 6 points.

If we do get to a South final, I think every Swan player will be wishing for Killenaule as we owe them beating for a number of reasons which I won't go into to. (Although winning a South Final in the Davin Park would be very special indeed :D )

I reckon none of these will be played in Kilshelan because of what happened earlier on in the year at the Davins vs Ballingary match which is a pity. My prediction is either a double header in Clonmel or Fethard.

both Carrick teams are extremely average. it looks certain to be a Mullinahone/Killenaule final

Well done to the Tipp hurlers today,it wasn't the hard test we thought we would get or hoped we would get but the win should clean out the cobwebs and hopefully set us on the road to croker,of the new lads playing I thought David Young did best.Gar Ryan got better as the game went on Bonnar Maher tried hard but it didn't always go right for him.we could have won by more but seemed to ease up later on when the game was all but won.

Well done to the Tipp hurlers today,it wasn't the hard test we thought we would get or hoped we would get but the win should clean out the cobwebs and hopefully set us on the road to croker,of the new lads playing I thought David Young did best.Gar Ryan got better as the game went on Bonnar Maher tried hard but it didn't always go right for him.we could have won by more but seemed to ease up later on when the game was all but won.

i was on 'Bonnar' watch yesterday and i can confirm he scored 2 points, he left on 2 points, he set up 1st goal, and was unlucky not to score a goal himself. he didn't catch as much as id have liked but worked very very hard. satisfactory championship debut imo.
    tippspur you fairly spot on with David Young who was absolutely immense and G Ryan also.
    Hope the GAA act and give Stephen Banville a lengthy ban after yesterday. i know there was niggle between the 2 but for a player to receive a blood injury like that is not on. Wexford gone back an awful lot which is very sad to see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

we could have won by more but seemed to ease up later on when the game was all but won.
    it kills me that we just cant go on like kilkenny and humiliate a team with a huge score. sheedy should have it bet into them. to keep going eeven if they are winning by a cricket score.

tom thum wrote: »
    it kills me that we just cant go on like kilkenny and humiliate a team with a huge score. sheedy should have it bet into them. to keep going eeven if they are winning by a cricket score.

Its alarming that the subs who come in such as John O'Brien or Seamus Hennessey cant take the bull by the horns and stake a claim for a place in the 15. I mean it seems we only waned when we brought on a few subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Does anyone know what the little symbol on the back of the tipp jersey is? its been annoying me since last year

Does anyone know what the little symbol on the back of the tipp jersey is? its been annoying me since last year
    I do I think. It is a circle with the letters F R in the middle, they stand for Freedom and Redemption....

A load of ****e if you ask me but a lot of inter county teams have adopted logos for particular seasons most notably Dublinand their blue bible a few years back. I think Tipp are the first hurling team to do it at inter-county level but didn't LIT have initials of lads that had died and were close to members of The LIT panel stitched onto the back of their jerseys for the Fitzgibbon Cup weekend a few years back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Its alarming that the subs who come in such as John O'Brien or Seamus Hennessey cant take the bull by the horns and stake a claim for a place in the 15. I mean it seems we only waned when we brought on a few subs.
    true. and even when darragh egan came on. hes in the panel for years and has never really shone. and he looked like a tank yesterday. i dunno. i think i would have preferred if we won by a point and were made work for it. i dont think sheedy would have learned too much yesterday.

• Advertisement

i cant believe it though. Surely some of these subs who get criticised and who are dropped to the bench would come on with a point to prove.
    Regardless of their quality they are fresh and you'd hope rearing to go. You see KK today who had the luxury of bringing on the likes of Taggy Fogarty and Richie Hogan and both were absolutely chomping at the bit.
    The last day, TJ Reid made his first championship start, crazy when you think of the quality. Tipp lads came on and instead of setting a marker for themselves they looked as relaxed as could be. John O'Brien was given a massive kick up the arse this week, and yet he made no impact when he came on or at least nothing that would suggest he was unjustifiably dropped.
    Considering that Gearoid and Bonnar both had decent games than came one gauntlet was thrown to him.
    When i heard Webster was dropped from panel i said it would make way for fantastic young talent coming through who were bursting for a chance. instead Darragh Egan came on and while he took his goal well he didn't exactly play like a lunatic either. Even Hammersly who looks a good impact sub is very inconsistent. He looked impressive in PUC last month but was dreadful in the challenge in thurles 2 weeks ago. he was swept off a half time.

And what the hell has happened to Seamus Callinan,one of our top prospects seems to have gone to pot lately I think if Bonnar Maher keeps improving he would be well entitled to take Callinan's place on the team,even on the basis of work rate Maher done a ton more than Callinan yesterday.

And what the hell has happened to Seamus Callinan,one of our top prospects seems to have gone to pot lately I think if Bonnar Maher keeps improving he would be well entitled to take Callinan's place on the team,even on the basis of work rate Maher done a ton more than Callinan yesterday.

Callinan was anonymous yesterday. I'm wondering is both him and Noel Mcgrath suffering from burn out though between the club, county (senior and u21), and college demands.

EDIT: not sure if Callinan is still under 21. What is it again? you have to be 21 on or after January 1st of the given championship year??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Callinan was anonymous yesterday. I'm wondering is both him and Noel Mcgrath suffering from burn out though between the club, county (senior and u21), and college demands.

EDIT: not sure if Callinan is still under 21. What is it again? you have to be 21 on or after January 1st of the given championship year??

If he turns 21 this year he's eligible for U-21

I do I think. It is a circle with the letters F R in the middle, they stand for Freedom and Redemption....

Well we gave Cork and Aisake far too much freedom in my opinion and we need to redeem ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Leroy Lita wrote: »
    both Carrick teams are extremely average. it looks certain to be a Mullinahone/Killenaule final

If that's the case I presume you're calling Mullinahone and Killenaule average also...seeing as Carrick Swan beat Mullinahone and drew with Killenaule? :p

Looks certain to be a Mullinahone/Killenaule final? ...never write off a Swan team...:mad:

If he turns 21 this year he's eligible for U-21

Callinan is over age for 21 this year

The Tipperary U-21 hurling team to play Cork in the Munster U-21 hurling semi-final at Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Wednesday night, July 14th includes 7 senior hurling team panellists and will be captained by centre back Padraic Maher:

The team is:

1. James Logue (Ballingarry)
    2. Kevin O’Gorman (Thurles Sarsfields)
    3. John Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy)
    4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    5. James Barry (Upperchurch Drombane)
    6. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields) Captain
    7. Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)
    8. Seamus Hennessy (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    9. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    10. Denis Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    11. Patrick Maher (Lorrha and Dorrha)
    12. Paddy Murphy (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    13. Adrian Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
    14. John O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    15. Michael Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg)

I'm very surprised Seanie Curran isn't starting. Best of luck to them though.

The Tipperary U-21 hurling team to play Cork in the Munster U-21 hurling semi-final at Pairc Ui Chaoimh on Wednesday night, July 14th includes 7 senior hurling team panellists and will be captained by centre back Padraic Maher:

The team is:

1. James Logue (Ballingarry)
    2. Kevin O’Gorman (Thurles Sarsfields)
    3. John Coghlan (Moyne Templetuohy)
    4. Michael Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    5. James Barry (Upperchurch Drombane)
    6. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields) Captain
    7. Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)
    8. Seamus Hennessy (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    9. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    10. Denis Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    11. Patrick Maher (Lorrha and Dorrha)
    12. Paddy Murphy (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    13. Adrian Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
    14. John O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    15. Michael Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg)

I'm very surprised Seanie Curran isn't starting. Best of luck to them though.

No Buggy o'Meara either? Is his ban still effective?
    There was a lad from Upperchurch who was class in Cloneen the night..Greene i think his name is. Dont like the fact so many seniors starting so close to the Offaly game. Risky business

EDIT: Noel McGrath in midfield? Surely he'd be far more effective in fwds?

• Advertisement

No Buggy o'Meara either? Is his ban still effective?
    There was a lad from Upperchurch who was class in Cloneen the night..Greene i think his name is. Dont like the fact so many seniors starting so close to the Offaly game. Risky business

EDIT: Noel McGrath in midfield? Surely he'd be far more effective in fwds?
    Buggy is injured at the moment so that explains why he's not playing.

Noel McGrath has been playing half back with Loughmore I think this year so I wouldn't worry about him midfield too much. In saying that, I'd rather see him in the forwards too.

It's very risky but at least with the match on Sunday now, they'll have an extra days rest.

Advertisement