Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

tippspur wrote: »
    i notice that the GAA hasn't officially said that admission for the KK game on 7th march will be free of charge,there will be war if it's not.

It's freeeeeeee... Quite right too, I'm baffled why they waited so long to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I'd nearly say they were half thinking of charging or finding some way of making money out of it,about time they made it free officially.Can't wait to see what the team will be now.

I heard the team is not being picked until Saturday evening after some Collage game is played,anyone know more ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I heard the team is not being picked until Saturday evening after some Collage game is played,anyone know more ?

It's been picked after the Fitz final. WIT are playing NUIG in Peasre Stadium, Galway at 3pm on Saturday. There's a good few Tipp lads on the WIT panel that are not on the Tipp Senior panel. Kieran Reade, (Carrick Swans), Willie O Dwyer (Carrick Davins) Ray MacLoughney (Kilruaine) Timmy Hammersly (Clounolty) Michael Sheedy (Portroe I think) Stephan Spillane (Arravale Rovers) and I think there's an O Meara on the panel too from Tipp.

I think Seamus Hennessy (Kilruaine) is on the NUIG team, but I'm not 100% certain of that

There was a good few Tipp lads playing with UL/LIT today too, and I'd say Sheedy is waiting on the fitness of Callinan and the UL lads (who I'm not sure of) before he picks the team.

Brendan Cummins (Ballybacon-Grange)

Brendan Maher (Borris–Ileigh) Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields) Paul CurranMullinahone)

Declan Fanning (Killenaule) Conor O’Mahony (Newport) Shane Maher (Burgess)

Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons) Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)

Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney) Benny Dunne (Toomevara) John O’Brien (Toomevara)

Eoin Kelly (Mullinahone) Captain Micheál Webster (Loughmore Castleiney) Lar Corbett (Thurles Sarsfields)

The game is scheduled to commence at 2.30pm. Both stands and one terrace will be open from 12.30pm on Sunday. Supporters are asked to come early if they wish to gain access to the stands. As the game is non-ticket, health and safety rules mean that both stands will be closed once 70% full. This will be the 60th league encounter between Tipperary and Kilkenny with Tipp having won 28, Kilkenny 25 and 6 draws in the previous 59 games. Coverage on Setanta Ire begins @ 2.

The referee is Barry Kelly (Iarmhí).

• Advertisement

ON TIPP!!

Couldn't make it to the game, listened to Tipp FM sounded fierce exciting, and tough going.. Eoin Kelly & Brendan Cummins heroic as usual.. Padraic Maher was immense too for a young fella. Well done to all the lads, a badly wanted win, and a monkey off the back, big time.. The league is back on track now. They seemed to work very hard and must have improved the performance hugely since last week. It's only March but it's heartening to see they can perform so well after a shaky start..

ON TIPP!!

Couldn't make it to the game, listened to Tipp FM sounded fierce exciting, and tough going.. Eoin Kelly & Brendan Cummins heroic as usual.. Padraic Maher was immense too for a young fella. Well done to all the lads, a badly wanted win, and a monkey off the back, big time.. The league is back on track now. They seemed to work very hard and must have improved the performance hugely since last week. It's only March but it's heartening to see they can perform so well after a shaky start..

went to the game. very good game. from a tipp point of view, our backs were unreal especially Padraic and Brendan Maher. the only time kk broke through was when taggy fogarty had a one on one with cummins which he saved brilliantly. tipp well deserving. Aertel predicted we would be glad not to be embarrassed (Fickleness how do) and now we caused an upset apparently :rolleyes:

In fairness kk were rusty just like we were last week but we wanted it that bit more i think. the referee had a good game. normally im critical of Barry Kelly but he stood tall today to the blatant cynicism that KK show every game. they are a great team but i cant help feel that getting away with some of this sneaky fouling has gave them a competitive edge in alot of there past fixtures

the half fwd line is a cause for concern. KK mopped up far too much.

an admirable draw for the footballers in down, the double is on :D

our backs were unreal especially Padraic and Brendan Maher
    It's great to know the future of Tipperary hurling from a defence point of view is in safe hands. Padraic is an outstanding prospect, so cool under pressure too.
    they are a great team but i cant help feel that getting away with some of this sneaky fouling has gave them a competitive edge in alot of there past fixtures
    It's true, they're subtle while threading a fine line between legal and not. There was lots of talk about this last year but it never made a difference on the pitch. Tommy Walsh's shove of Benny Dunnes helmet was a perfect example. It incited a reaction, job done from his point of view. Generally referees either don't spot it or choose to ignore it. If it's taken out of Kilkenny's armoury this year then it will be easier to stop them.
    It is true, a serious cause for concern, that line needs strengthening.

Still any day we get one over on that mob is a good one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

went to the game. very good game. from a tipp point of view, our backs were unreal especially Padraic and Brendan Maher. the only time kk broke through was when taggy fogarty had a one on one with cummins which he saved brilliantly. tipp well deserving. Aertel predicted we would be glad not to be embarrassed (Fickleness how do) and now we caused an upset apparently :rolleyes:

In fairness kk were rusty just like we were last week but we wanted it that bit more i think. the referee had a good game. normally im critical of Barry Kelly but he stood tall today to the blatant cynicism that KK show every game. they are a great team but i cant help feel that getting away with some of this sneaky fouling has gave them a competitive edge in alot of there past fixtures

an admirable draw for the footballers in down, the double is on :D

Tipp half forward line went missing for a large part of the game.

The Tipp backline performed really well, especially in the first half of the game.
    Shane McGrath and Eoin Kelly played really well as did Brendan Cummins.

Bloody freezing in Semple today!

Not the greatest of games it has to be said but any day Tipp beat the cats is a good day imo.agree about the Tipp back line,they were excellent esp Paudie maher and Brendan.
    Shane Mc Grath was immense in the middle but as far the as the half forward line is concerned they were hopeless,jeez the least they could do is contest the highball instead of looking on at it.Cummins was at his best today and saved a certain goal but Webster,Benny Dunne and Stableton had a bad day today,at least the faith is restored after that win.

• Advertisement

Still any day we get one over on that mob is a good one!!!

ha ha that mob, i love it.
    that little fracas on the sideline was gas. if it was Ferguson and wenger they would be talking about it for months. sheedy showed him he was up against stiffer opposition then Marty morrissey this time.

Yeah I forgot about Coady and Sheedy's row on the Line,that was priceless.Good man Liam:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Great result. We had 13 players starting from the All Ireland Final, KK had 11. Delighted now, the leage is back on track.

What happened between sheedy and cody at all?

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Great result. We had 13 players starting from the All Ireland Final, KK had 11. Delighted now, the leage is back on track.

What happened between sheedy and cody at all?

kk man whipped on tipp man on the ground and cody wanted a free for tipp man lying on the ball despite being fouled. sheedy gave him his opinion on the matter and shoved him twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

kk man whipped on tipp man on the ground and cody wanted a free for tipp man lying on the ball despite being fouled. sheedy gave him his opinion on the matter and shoved him twice.

Good man, sound. I thought maybe Sheedy was friends with Marty Morrissey and was getting revenge :pac:

According to our Noreside friends here it was an unprovoked assault on a poor innocent 55 yr old wallflower.

According to our Noreside friends here it was an unprovoked assault on a poor innocent 55 yr old wallflower.

I noticed that alright, your dead right, even though we are a little biased. Your never going to convince him of course. Poor old Brian, shoved in the chest imagine, by a man 4 inches smaller. :eek:

I noticed that alright, your dead right, even though we are a little biased. Your never going to convince him of course. Poor old Brian, shoved in the chest imagine, by a man 4 inches smaller. :eek:

i mean fair enough whether it is right to push him or not, they have being lauding good old Brian as a hero and a martyr no matter what he says or does. his team are cynical and he cant see the bad in it.

You gave as good as you got in that thread tipp-Gunner,fair play.

You gave as good as you got in that thread tipp-Gunner,fair play.

thank you :D anytime. think i enjoyed that more then the actual win in semple. :D

the tipp kilkenny rivalry runs so deep that a user with the alias tippspur is praising a user with the alias tipp_gunner. oh the irony!!! :D

anyways back to gaelic matters, anyone know if, in the double header on Sunday a hurling season ticket would admit one to see the football as well???

• Advertisement

anyways back to gaelic matters, anyone know if, in the double header on Sunday a hurling season ticket would admit one to see the football as well???

I didn't realise there was doubling up.. Interesting. I have season ticket too, so I'd hope it'd suffice.. I'd be surprised if it didn't to be honest.. What are they going to do charge half the entrance fee?? The amount of season ticket holders is limited enough I think so they won't make an issue over it. Free gratis I'd expect.

It's going to be another tough game against Galway on Sunday,there after having a good start to the League so far,I expect to see Seamus Hennessey starting along with Callinan on the half forward line,Any ones guess who will start in the center with Mc Grath I would like to see Brendan Maher get a chance there to see what he can do.Wouldn't be surprised though if Sheedy plays Benny Dunne in there.

Wouldn't be surprised though if Sheedy plays Benny Dunne in there.

i hope he doesnt. Benny more suited to midfield i think. say Callanan might start. maybe kerwick?
    would be great to see the footballers take a scalp off Meath. move us closer toward safety.

I didn't realise there was doubling up.. Interesting. I have season ticket too, so I'd hope it'd suffice.. I'd be surprised if it didn't to be honest.. What are they going to do charge half the entrance fee?? The amount of season ticket holders is limited enough I think so they won't make an issue over it. Free gratis I'd expect.

gaa confirmed by email today that season ticket will indeed suffice for the double header :D happy days!!!!

In other news, Timmy Hammersly called up to the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Had an interesting converstion with a Kells native. He reckoned that if Tipp couldn't beat a weakened Kilkenny team at home it would have been a huge mental blow for them. He also let on that he didn't care about the result but I still got a few digs in.

Hopefully we can push on from here and stop the feckers in their 5 in a row push.

Had an interesting converstion with a Kells native. He reckoned that if Tipp couldn't beat a weakened Kilkenny team at home it would have been a huge mental blow for them.

Hopefully we can push on from here and stop the feckers in their 5 in a row push.

Amen to that Phat.. I actually tend to agree with what your pal said even though he probably meant it in a saving face kinda way. If Tipp had lost Sunday it'd be the fourth defeat to KK on the trot. That amounts to almost complete domination. Now for most counties that would be expected but to Tipp the expectations would be lot higher.. Given the fact that they were minus the Ballyhale players among others, psychologically a Tipp loss would be as detrimental to us as it would be beneficial to them. But hey it didn't happen and now we can build on the win with an eye on our next encounter. The half forward line does worry me though.

In other news, Timmy Hammersly called up to the panel
    Good call by Sheedy bringing in Hammersley to the squad,we need scoring forwards badly,who knows he might be the find of the year.Strange though that he couldn't get on the under 21 team last year,he might be one of those late developers like Lar,:cool:

Good call by Sheedy bringing in Hammersley to the squad,we need scoring forwards badly,who knows he might be the find of the year.Strange though that he couldn't get on the under 21 team last year,he might be one of those late developers like Lar,:cool:

I dont think you can really go by whether they got on the team at minor/u21 as I dont think Pat Kerwick ever played either minor or u21 for Tipperary and to be fair he's terrific hurler. He is probably the only one of our half forwards that can catch a ball.

Id like to see Patrick Bonnar Maher get a run in the league aswell. He's a fairly quick forward who loves to run for goal the instant he gets the ball and is physically imposing. I think he can be a real asset in years to come.

Remember Darragh Hickey, the little wing forward with the white helmet or Seamus Butler? What ever happened to them? :confused: Both looked decent panelists and went off the panel all of a shot

• Advertisement

I think we all know what happened to Seamus Butler,he got a few slaps off the Waterford lads at the start of the semi the year before last and and never hit a decent ball for the rest of the game before he was taken off,he should have stood up for himself but he didn't and that was the end of him.I saw him in the League final that same year and he got a great six points, it was his best game for Tipp but he's not able for the physical stuff I'm afraid.

Advertisement