Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Birthday Cliff, R.I.P

Options
  • 10-02-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭

Today would have been the 48th Birthday of one of Rock's best ever Bass guitarists, Cliff Burton of Metallica.

In my eyes the guy was the best Bassist ever to have walked this earth, pure genius.

If anybody gets chance to read the book 'To Live is to Die' then do it, a great read and a true insight to the man.

I saw him live twice, in 85 and a week before his death in '86, seeing him live remains one of the top memories of hundreds of gigs.

R.I.P Cliff and Happy Birthday,

Gone but never forgotten

Cliffburtonfree.jpg

CliffBurton.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

scudzilla wrote: »
    If anybody gets chance to read the book 'To Live is to Die' then do it, a great read and a true insight to the man.

I saw him live twice, in 85 and a week before his death in '87, seeing him live remains one of the top memories of hundreds of gigs

He died in '86.;)

The "To Live is To Die" book is excellent,just finished it a couple of weeks ago. He was one of Rocks true good guys.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

lord lucan wrote: »
    He died in '86.;)

The "To Live is To Die" book is excellent,just finished it a couple of weeks ago. He was one of Rocks true good guys.:)
    Have ye seen Cliff 'em All?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Have it buried in the attic somewhere.

I don't have a VCR in the house but this is making me want to go out and buy one.

I wonder what Cliff would have thought of Load and Re-Load.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    He died in '86.;)

Sorry, typo, should have been 86. Was in Manchester.

The more i read that book the more i thought that Cliff wouldn't have stayed with Metallica when they hit the big time, he just hated all the crap that came with being a 'rock star', he even hated the term

smooch71 wrote: »

I don't have a VCR in the house but this is making me want to go out and buy one.

I had CEA on VHS but recently downloaded it (fuck you lars :P)

Great video, my fav is Bells from The Day on the Green, mainly cos of the awesome quality.

Check out the torrent sites, there's a few copies out there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

smooch71 wrote: »

the argument has been done to death as to how cliff would have reacted to the nowadays metallica. Im sure he would have approved tbh, hes renowned for liking music ranging from REM to Bach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭dasdog

I had CEA on VHS but recently downloaded it (fuck you lars :P)

Great video, my fav is Bells from The Day on the Green, mainly cos of the awesome quality.

I've the audio recording of the whole Day on the Green gig (good quality). There's rumours the entire set was recorded on camera but I've yet to see it emerge but I've got the whole set video of the 1983 gig (Cliff's second gig?) and the Master of Puppets gig (supporting Ozzy) from Cliff em All. The quality isn't great for either but still...

Yep. Savage DVD. There's a tendency nowadays to dismiss Burtons influence and effect on the Metal world but imho the guy was a massive influence on the genre both then and even now. He broke the mold for metal bass players,doing things that others weren't. Whether that be not doing the usual playing in line with the guitarists to using a wah pedal he was way ahead of his time.

As to whether Cliff would have liked the 'Load' era,the author of "To Live Is To Die" makes the point that Cliff was open to all types of music and probably would've approved. It's a moot point as we'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Cliff was a legend, and the reason i started to learn a instrument

#RAISE'S A BEER#

german-beer.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Today would have been the 48th Birthday of one of Rock's best ever Bass guitarists, Cliff Burton of Metallica.

So hard to think of him as a 48yr old, out there in the mainstream, with Metallica

I'll be honest, if Burton hadn't of died, Metallica wouldn't be the band they are today - whether better or worse I cannot say - and Newsted would be playing but not with much money

I reckon Metallica would have been a well respected Trash Metal act who bridged into Symphonic collaboration and had fans half the number they do today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I have Cliff's last gig on cassette from years back got it from the bootleggers on Merrion square, anyone remember them?

buck65 wrote: »
    I have Cliff's last gig on cassette from years back got it from the bootleggers on Merrion square, anyone remember them?
    yep.. I have it too. From some town in sweden beginning with an S wasnt it? Dont have the name of the place on the CD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

R.I.P Cliff

To Live is to Die is my favorite song, Ever!

Max Power1 wrote: »
    yep.. I have it too. From some town in sweden beginning with an S wasnt it? Dont have the name of the place on the CD

Yep,the Solnahallen in Stockholm,Sweden was his last show. Died on the road from Stockholm to Denmark.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

104240305_1c2061e4f8.jpgThe Major Rager on the 4 String Mother****er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

This thread makes me wanna crank up Orion! \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Jeez,48 is young,even nowadays.Id have thought he would have been older.As usual,the good die young,legend of a bassist.
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

This thread makes me wanna crank up Orion! \m/

That has to be one of my favourite songs ever. No matter how much I listen to it I NEVER get sick of how perfectly arranged it is.

RIP Cliff. \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Been a long time since he rock and rolled.

• Advertisement

Been a long time since he rock and rolled.
    ... and yet his musical ability and talent is still self evident

Advertisement