Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poster of little girl on the North Quays is Gone!

• 10-02-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I don't know how long it has been gone for but the sinister looking girl is no more, the poster has been replaced with another one for the tall ships which ironically also has a little girl on it albeit a lot happier!! Delighted to see the change myself!! Has anyone else noticed or have I had my head in the sand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well it was only ever gonna stay there until the tall ships one was ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

Bout time, thought they were never gonna take it down. Also wow, can't believe the Tall Ships is almost back. Time flies I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

delighted its gone, that was a stupid looking poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Well it was only ever gonna stay there until the tall ships one was ready.

They could of taken it down over a year ago the amount of freaked out tourists I met was unreal. I don’t think it added anything to the city really.
    Is there a preservation order on that building actually? I heard one of those buildings was the first reinforced concrete buildings in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There were plenty of tourists who really liked it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Terrible shame 'the last child' was a fantastic addition to the city. Very unique and quite iconic.
    3848122195_c709d9ac55_m.jpg

Has anyone any photos of what it has been replaced with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

22175_461163795194_247386520194_11192257_4828752_n.jpg

I love that poster, what a shame :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

what exactly was the point of it anyway??? it was kinda weird . . . in a ''shes watching you'' mona lisa way . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Yes, but it was different. God forbid we should do something a little different in this town city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I had no problem with the poster, I quite liked too, it was what was behind the poster that I take issue with.

That said, it's about time the council really started pushing on with the Tall Ships advertisements. I didn't think much of it the first time we hosted it but since then I've come to realise just what a huge honour it is for us as a city, and the last thing I want to see is the organisers resting on their laurels in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Terrible shame 'the last child' was a fantastic addition to the city. Very unique and quite iconic.
    3848122195_c709d9ac55_m.jpg

Has anyone any photos of what it has been replaced with?

I liked it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

markok84 wrote: »
    22175_461163795194_247386520194_11192257_4828752_n.jpg

I love that poster, what a shame :pac:

Mint!! I loved that poster too, the photographer lives in Kilsheelan as far as I know, whats his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

When is the tall ships back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

New poster of the Tall Ships will be up next week from what I hear,

The website goes live on Monday i also believe

http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

Bards wrote: »
    New poster of the Tall Ships will be up next week from what I hear,

The website goes live on Monday i also believe

http://www.waterfordtallshipsrace.ie/

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

When is the tall ships back?

30th June - 3rd July 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I thought the picture was cool. Didn't some English writer pen a poem after seeing it?

I took a number of photos around town on the Sunday of the snow. I thought this was one of the coolest. Somehow her expression, her colouring, and the snow all went together very well:
    4262438951_5a35ee99c4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Mint!! I loved that poster too, the photographer lives in Kilsheelan as far as I know, whats his name?

Gottfried Helnwein :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

all jokes aside I loved the poster. I'm not from waterford myself but anytime I drove up the quay and glanced across at her I felt sorta proud. Love the pic btw fricatus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Gottfried Helnwein :)

I thought it was really beautiful and the most amazing thing about it is that it wasnt a photograph - it was a print of a painting' by Gottfried Helnwein, an Austrian Artist living in Tipperary.
    Imagine having the talent to paint a face so perfectly that it looks like a photograph!

On saying that It is brilliant to see the PR commencing for Tall Ships' 2011. :)

Former Birmingham Poet Laureate writes Waterford Poem

Waterford Airport recently hosted a group of Journalists from Birmingham. One of those Journalists was Charlie Jordan a Former Birmingham Poet Laureate; while staying at the Tower Hotel Charlie was very taken with the Waterford Fringe Festival instalment by Gottfried Helnwein on the North Quay, the painting inspired another work of art by Charlie, ‘Waterford Angel’.

WATERFORD ANGEL.

River geisha
    watching over
    the crystal city.

From The Tower,
    sleep-wrapped,
    I meet her gaze.

Like the Fourth Sister,
    she guards my
    viking dreams

as stories pierce
    the night with
    tempered steel.

Alice of
    Abervenny
    stains the past

with
    pomegranate blood
    from 70 Knights.

Molly washes
    the centuries clean
    by morning.

She welcomes
    all here.
    Serene Angel
    of Waterford.

By: Charlie Jordan 'Former Birmingham Poet Laureate'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭AngelinaJolie

I thought she was a little freaky!
    I called her The Waif on the Wharf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭AngelinaJolie

Have just seen the Tall Ships poster - how bland...
    I mourn for The Waif on the Wharf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

awww i thought she was cool, that other one is a little bit meh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Loved that poster! I have a few pics of it from the streets leading down to the quay too. I hated the tall ships thanks for the dates, must book my hols!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

How could anyone not have enjoyed the Tall Ships festival?
    it was brilliant ..

liked the poster of the girl too ... something different!

where is it being moved to?

we should get Gottfried (?) to do a huge big photo to cover the old Ard Ri until something is done with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Had to work every day, getting form ferrybank to the quay and back again.

Obviously walked but twice the crowds were so bad I had to wait in a que with even the garda controling the crowd getting a bit worried and calling in reenforcement. Also a guy in front of me fell into a buggy, hurting the 1 year old.

It will be much better this time, they should shut down the rice bridge and make it pedestrian only and let every one else use the toll road for free!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    It will be much better this time, they should shut down the rice bridge and make it pedestrian only and let every one else use the toll road for free!

While that would be fantastic I doubt it'll happen :( (the toll bridge being free)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

I thought she was a little freaky!
    I called her The Waif on the Wharf!
    yes there is something wrong about this better that its gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

fricatus wrote: »
    I thought the picture was cool. Didn't some English writer pen a poem after seeing it?

I took a number of photos around town on the Sunday of the snow. I thought this was one of the coolest. Somehow her expression, her colouring, and the snow all went together very well:
    4262438951_5a35ee99c4.jpg

Great photo.

Advertisement