Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smiles

• 10-02-2010 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

You know what I really love?
    When you're walking past someone ... and they smile at you.
    You have no idea who they are, they have no idea who you are, but they smile and you smile back.
    Just makes you feel good and puts you on a high, even if only for a few minutes.

It's amazing how such a small gesture can put you in a good mood :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I make it a point to always make eye contact and smile at a person who has served me in shop.

I worked my way through college behind a counter in a petrol station, being treated like a machine by the majority of people who saw me as a service rather than a human. People would usually only speak to me when they wished to complain about something completely out of my control; "the prices YOU charge for petrol are atrocious!"

What always stood out for me was the people who didn't just hold out their hand for their change as they looked away to make sure nobody was blocking them in, but actually looked directly at me, made eye contact, waited till I had their change ready then smiled as I gave it to them.

It's been a long time since I've stood behind a counter, but I've always taken that lesson with me. It costs me nothing to make eye contact and smile at people serving me, but it gives the recipient so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That sounds nice. I look forward to it happening sometime. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

The-Rigger wrote: »
    That sounds nice. I look forward to it happening sometime. :pac:
    Awwww, Poor Rigger. :(:(:( Maybe what you need to do is kick start the smile revolution an smile at randomers all day tomorrow:p, and if that doesnt work then just stand in the midle of the street and shout "smile at me dammit!!!!" If that doesnt Make people smile at you, then your doomed to a life where your unsmiled at.....
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    I make it a point to always make eye contact and smile at a person who has served me in shop.

What always stood out for me was the people who didn't just hold out their hand for their change as they looked away to make sure nobody was blocking them in, but actually looked directly at me, made eye contact, waited till I had their change ready then smiled as I gave it to them.
    Im the same as you, worked in a shop for years through school and college and the difference it made when people actually bothered to smile or remember to say thank you is enormous. I always make the effort to smile and say hi, even when Im rushing.

I shall try that soon and report back. :P

Well, the first bit that is, I don't think I'm ready for the second bit!

Well, the first bit that is, I don't think I'm ready for the second bit!
    Awww, but the second bit is the one thats most fun, and face it anyone who talks to you in that situation is obviously a lovely person so you might even end up making new friends!! Go on...;)

• Advertisement

Baby steps, I think. :P

Baby steps, I think. :P
    (sigh) Some people just have no courage!! Wuss.. :p Dont blame me so if you cant get anyone to smile at you, I gave you two great suggestions, it's your fault if you dont take them:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 foofee

I love that too, it's such a simple gesture but it makes you feel good and makes them feel good.

I try to make a point to smile at anyone who catches my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

So do I. Otherwise I let my avatar on Boards.ie speak for me.

Thomas828 wrote: »
    So do I. Otherwise I let my avatar on Boards.ie speak for me.
    Ha ha, its a good job you picked the avatar you did so!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Or what's better is when someone sez Hello to you. Even they don't know you.

It's a good feeling that some people are still polite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 foofee

Sometimes it's fun to randomly wave at other drivers if you're driving along - do it like you're sure you know them and more often then not they'll wave or smile back. It might cause a lil confusion but it's definately fun for you if they do wave back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I always smile at others. Sometimes after dealing with someone in a shop, I feel a little bad if I realise I didn't smile at them. It does make the job so much nicer when people smile at you and aren't scouring because they blame you for all troubles in their life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

You know what I really love?
    When you're walking past someone ... and they smile at you.
    You have no idea who they are, they have no idea who you are, but they smile and you smile back.
    Just makes you feel good and puts you on a high, even if only for a few minutes.

It's amazing how such a small gesture can put you in a good mood :)
    Good call Pika, I know this one! Its a great feeling actually :pac:
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    I do this too. They might have pissed off with their job face before my turn, but a bit of eye contact and a passing comment normally turns them around :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

3dsmilesp.jpg
    Enough said^ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

foofee wrote: »
    I try to make a point to smile at anyone who catches my eye.

I do too, and most of the time, I get a smile in return! Imagine that . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

You'd be surprised at how far a smile can get you. When I'm cycling along country lanes and I come across someone on a horse, I always slow down (some horses get nervous when bikes pass by at speed) and give the rider a smile. Nine times out of ten he or she smiles back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Fago_25 wrote: »
    Or what's better is when someone sez Hello to you. Even they don't know you.

It's a good feeling that some people are still polite!

Definitely!

I was sitting on the train one day and this old woman got on and sat opposite me, with her two small grandchildren.
    She said hello to me and was very polite.
    One of the little girls had fruit pastilles. The old lady whispered something to her ... then she turned around and offered me one too!
    I thought that was sweet! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Definitely!

I was sitting on the train one day and this old woman got on and sat opposite me, with her two small grandchildren.
    She said hello to me and was very polite.
    One of the little girls had fruit pastilles. The old lady whispered something to her ... then she turned around and offered me one too!
    I thought that was sweet! :)

Couple of times this kind of stuff happened to me, I'm always very pleasant to the kids.. (and the parents love the interaction with friendly strangers) ...

but once someone else is taking them home LOL :pac:

/makes rainbow hands

Advertisement