Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with quantities

• 10-02-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering if you could help me on a query I have. For standard block on edge construction, is there a standard quantity of sand and cement used per thousand blocks? I'm referring only to blocklaying here, not plastering or anything else. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Average house will require 1 load of sand (20 tn.) &2 pallets of cement for blockwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

aujopimur wrote: »
    Average house will require 1 load of sand (20 tn.) &2 pallets of cement for blockwork.
    What are you considering an average house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

That sounds about right, my extension is 2500 sq ft and used a bit over 20t of sand and 2 pallets of cement. Cement by the pallet (80 bags) was 330 euro inc vat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

soldsold wrote: »
    That sounds about right, my extension is 2500 sq ft and used a bit over 20t of sand and 2 pallets of cement. Cement by the pallet (80 bags) was 330 euro inc vat.

Ok, this is going in the right direction. How many blocks did you lay for this amound of sand and cement?

At a guess about 9000 to 10000 4 inch blocks I think, not sure of the exact amount

• Advertisement

Total cavity wall cost in my case was:

Inner leaf block on flat 20 blocks per m2:
    5 euro per m2 to buy the blocks (20blocks x50 cent per block)
    1 euro per m2 for cement/ sand/ dpc/ plasticiser (approx)
    14 euro per m2 to lay the blocks = 20 blocks x70cent per block
    Inner wall total = 20 euro per m2

Pumping the cavity = 15.62 per m2

Outer leaf block on flat per m2:

2.50 euro per m2 to buy the blocks (20blocks per m2 x 50 cent per block)
    50 cent per m2 for cement/ sand/ dpc/ plasticiser (approx based on 2 pallets of cement at 330 euro each for my job)
    7 euro per m2 to lay the blocks = 20 blocks x70cent per block
    Outer block wall total = 10 per m2

Cavity wall total = 20+15.62+10 = 45.62 euro per m2

Add plastering cost of around 18 euro per m2 (guess)
    Add painting cost of around 8 euro per m2 (wild guess)
    Add extra lintels over window and door openings in outer block wall - 2 euro per m2 (based on my job)
    Add wall ties - 60 cent each + vat x 4.9 per m2 = 3.55 per m2

Total 225mm Cavity wall cost is around 77 euro per m2

This assumes worst case scenario where every inner leaf is on the flat, but 150mm blocks on the edge are often specified or a mix of 100mm blocks on the flat and 100mm blocks on the edge.

Steve

Advertisement