Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1gbit.... Google ISP

• 10-02-2010 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

I nearly spilled coffee over my keyboard...

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/think-big-with-gig-our-experimental.html
    We're planning to build and test ultra high-speed broadband networks in a small number of trial locations across the United States. We'll deliver Internet speeds more than 100 times faster than what most Americans have access to today with 1 gigabit per second, fiber-to-the-home connections. We plan to offer service at a competitive price to at least 50,000 and potentially up to 500,000 people

:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This makes my 30Mb connection seem slow. :( I want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

Wow! There is absolutely no way that'll happen here though. Broadband in this country is a joke.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Wow! There is absolutely no way that'll happen here though. Broadband in this country is a joke.

I remember people saying the same thing about UPC 20Mb and that's been and gone. I'd say this is definitely a lot less likely though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Im not sure i see whether they will alow people to use a 1gbit symmetric connection 24x7

the cheapest ive seen nowadays is 1-2euro per mbit to connect (in a data-center in Europe, its like 20x times that in Dublin btw ...) to carriers/backbones like Cogent who run 15% of the internet traffic

even for Google it might not be cost effective if anyone decides to make full use of this ;) i wonder whats the cap then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    the cheapest ive seen nowadays is 1-2euro per mbit to connect (in a data-center in Europe, its like 20x times that in Dublin btw ...) to carriers/backbones like Cogent who run 15% of the internet traffic

Cogent have a POP in Dublin too. IP transit here was under €8/Mb last time I checked. I'm sure cogent is under €5/Mb by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 technonerd

Actually Magnet fiber braodband can reach those speeds in both directions, mostly sold to buisness though, but even the FTTH can reach those speeds, just that Magnet has no interest in offering such quality to home users, hell they even throttle the upload speeds on the Fiber, when in fact they can be symmetrical or the upload speed can be faster than the download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ro2 wrote: »
    Cogent have a POP in Dublin too. IP transit here was under €8/Mb last time I checked. I'm sure cogent is under €5/Mb by now.

Thanks for the info, last I checked couldnt get anything under 20/mbit in Ireland :( which POP may I ask?

Ill fire an email to my Cogent rep to see what they up to, tho even 5/mbit is too much when I require (and use) commits in few gbit range ;) at that point it becomes cheaper to hire a van and drive the servers to the continent (1/mbit in france & frankfurt) ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They will contend the 1gbit like they contend cable broadband but sometimes when it is quiet you will get much/most of 1gbit like you can get your full UPC service sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Could have great applications I suppose like talking to your relatives in Australia on your 50" plasma in high definition.

Besides high download speeds and HD communications what other applications could these high speeds offer to home users I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Could have great applications I suppose like talking to your relatives in Australia on your 50" plasma in high definition.

Besides high download speeds and HD communications what other applications could these high speeds offer to home users I wonder.

Cloud computing probably.
    I presume that's why they're launching this. Throw out the desktop and all you need is a browser, keyboard and a screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yep - Google wants us to have everything on the web - so if we all had superfast internet speeds anywhere you could store all your files, movies and music online and access it anywhere. Google recently added a kind of 'GDrive' facility to Google Docs and will be expanding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, last I checked couldnt get anything under 20/mbit in Ireland :( which POP may I ask?

Ill fire an email to my Cogent rep to see what they up to, tho even 5/mbit is too much when I require (and use) commits in few gbit range ;) at that point it becomes cheaper to hire a van and drive the servers to the continent (1/mbit in france & frankfurt) ...

They're in the big ones, DEG and Telecity. I presume most of your end users are outside Ireland, so you'd probably be better off in Frankfurt or Amsterdam anyway.

Advertisement