Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long range wireless point-to-point link

Options
  • 10-02-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I'm here asking for help with a project for collage but one i also need and want to do for myself.

As the title says i want to design/build a 10mile..ish wireless link from my place to where my brother lives and am really hoping for some real world advice on bridges, antennas, connectors, and cabling and best place to buy.

I've been reading a lot and have been to plenty of sites but you just can't beath the help and advice from someone whos been there.

I'm pretty happy that we have line of sight but can't be 100% so that will also be a major deciding factor on antenna selection but the land is quiet level and no hills or buildings to worry about plus im on high ground almost looking down on his location when on the roof.

I'd be really very greatfull for any assistance given with this project.

Jp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Besides LOS, is the fresnel zone clear? what speed do you want over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Hey

I've been using this site for fresnel clear http://www.afar.net/fresnel-zone-calculator/ and i think i can manage. The 10mls that i mentioned are driving and im happy that as the crow flys is more like 7ml.

As for speeds i'd be very happy with 10mbps.

I'd say go with a Bullet5 and 23dbi or so grids. Wi-Pipe has the Bullet5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I'd second that choice, and Wi-Pipe is defo the place to get them.

Follow them here:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wi-Pipe/477078135330

Hey thanks a lot for that guys, that hardware looks and sounds amazing.

My mind is made up about the bullet but not sure if the Bullet5M-HP might be a better option over the bullet5? which would you buy?

Also if you were me and trying to do what i'm trying what antenna would you select so as to try and take advantage of Ubiquitis low-loss integrated N-type RF connector?

They have a snazzy snap on dish on there home page but im going to buy from wi-pipe and would like to get every thing i need from there.

Again thanks for the very helpful advice.

• Advertisement

Ubiquiti's Rocketdish is only for use with the RocketM. There's no need for the BulletM5-HP unless you need N speeds (over 30 mbits), the Bullet5 can do over 20mbits or more. Try Wi-Pipes 24dbi grid (get a grid with an N female connector so it will directly connect to the Bullet. You might want to tape up the Bullet's N connector when finished to help waterproof it further.
    Grids have a tight beamwidth so make sure they're well aligned.

Thank you

Thank you

D'ouh

Advertisement