Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Credit Card

Options
  • 10-02-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi lads/lassies,
    I recently applied for a tesco c.c.
    I'm working f/t - earning just under 20k after tax. In retail.
    Also living at home.
    A recent application of mine for a Tesco c.c. was turned down. They said details in m y application failed to meet their credit score criteria. This, they say, is their main tool in making a decision.

Any ideas of why this is the case. I've never defaulted on a loan, and have always cleared my balances.
    Could I make an appeal?

Pointless?

the only thing i was thinking, was that I filled out some part incorrectly....(i didn't photocopy my application)

t.y
    joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Tesco turn down a huge amount of people. Just have strict conditions it seems.

Personally i wouldn't use the card without having access to online transactions to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭joecc

can't you just rely on your end of month statement?

any good alt to Tesco's reward scheme?

joecc wrote: »
    can't you just rely on your end of month statement?

No, thats why i said personally. Everyone to their own, but i find it harder to go through a big list of transactions at the end of the month. Its much easier keep an eye on it every day or two. Plus i dont have to get the statement in the post, prefer to have the eStatements.

cool, as a matter of interest which co's offer downloadable c.c history?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I recently got accepted for one.

I've missed loads of payments on my existing MBNA card and mortgage over the past five years, so I can't see that as being a criteria.

Maybe the fact that you're not a homeowner has gone against you?

• Advertisement

I use Mbna at the minute and find the online stuff quite good.

Aib do eStatements too, but i prefer the mbna online setup. Sure others do them to, but it will be built into their normal internet banking setup, where mbna just do credit cards so its designed better for it imo.

Age could have been a factor, no big history of repayments etc

I recently got accepted for one.

I've missed loads of payments on my existing MBNA card and mortgage over the past five years, so I can't see that as being a criteria.

Maybe the fact that you're not a homeowner has gone against you?

But if you're not a homeowner, with no outstanding loans, the credit card debt would be easier to payback?

or maybe they look for history of payment,
    as Davey points out....

Davy wrote: »
    I use Mbna at the minute and find the online stuff quite good.

Aib do eStatements too, but i prefer the mbna online setup. Sure others do them to, but it will be built into their normal internet banking setup, where mbna just do credit cards so its designed better for it imo.

Age could have been a factor, no big history of repayments etc

any cards with a good loyalty scheme?

any cards with a good loyalty scheme?

Depends on what you would use really. I have had the ryainair card with them before, you get free flights when you spend over €2000, or flights for 2 if you spend €5000. Or if you book 4 flights with it, you get the 5th flight free. If you use ryanair a lot, then its good. The catch is you need to book over the phone, and just the flight is free, you still have to pay taxes and charges as normal.

Another card is the pigsback.com card. You get a piggypoint for every euro you spend. Then you can use the piggypoints on rewards from their site, like restaurant or hotel vouchers, ot mobile topup when its in stock.

You can find more info here: http://mbna.ie/creditcards/ireland_travel.html

If you have any questions, just ask

Depends on what you would use really. I have had the ryainair card with them before, you get free flights when you spend over €2000, or flights for 2 if you spend €5000. Or if you book 4 flights with it, you get the 5th flight free. If you use ryanair a lot, then its good. The catch is you need to book over the phone, and just the flight is free, you still have to pay taxes and charges as normal.

Another card is the pigsback.com card. You get a piggypoint for every euro you spend. Then you can use the piggypoints on rewards from their site, like restaurant or hotel vouchers, ot mobile topup when its in stock.

You can find more info here: http://mbna.ie/creditcards/ireland_travel.html

If you have any questions, just ask

thanks, Davey. Very helpful, cheers...joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

No, thats why i said personally. Everyone to their own, but i find it harder to go through a big list of transactions at the end of the month. Its much easier keep an eye on it every day or two. Plus i dont have to get the statement in the post, prefer to have the eStatements.

I agree, i have a Tesco visa card, and not being able to view transactions or balance online is a pain in the backside. And the cc bill will regularly arrive late, so ive missed the payment date, and end up incurring a late fee, and then any money i pay off the card, is held for 10 working days, and doesnt free up space on your card until that time has passed.(now, this could just be if you go over your limit, that im not sure of, but they also have a habit of allowing you to go over your limit without your knowledge :rolleyes: )

The only good thing about it, is that every euro you spend on the card counts as Clubcard points......good if you shop at Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭lotsofthegreen

Cherrycola,

You don't need to wait until you get your statement to pay its issued on the same date each month so you can pay any day after that ( if you only want to make one payment, that is, the minimum)

You can pay in the post office by presenting your card - it takes a max of 48hours to reach tesco this way and is availible to use on your card on the 3rd working day.

You can also use www.billpay.ie an pay any amount by laser. Its a free service run by An Post

1800 555 742 or 1800 555 743 are free and you can use the automated service to check your account

There's no blame on them for late payments and if you're letting that happen you mite as well get a credit card from a bank here and pay on time - cause the late payment charges wipe out the benefit of the clubcard points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Do you work for Tesco Visa? :D

Yes, i have since set up a Billpay payment to cover the minimum amount at least each month to avoid the late payment fiasco.

But others may not be aware of that when they get a Tesco visa card.

The point im trying to make is that you dont know what your statement amount, or minimum payment amount is, until your receive your statement, which may be issued on the same day each month, but i have never had them arrive at my door on the same day each month, and on occasion, the statements arrive AFTER the payment day has passed. So yes there is no blame on Tesco for late payment, should we blame Royal Mail or An Post? Am i right in assuming the statements are issued from the UK?
    Yes, you can call the Tesco visa card line, and go through the whole automated system, and try to scribble down the last transactions on your account, last payment date, last statement date etc, (which doesnt include your minimum payment amount i might add) but it would be much easier to have an online facility like the card holders in the UK have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Hi lads/lassies,
    I recently applied for a tesco c.c.
    I'm working f/t - earning just under 20k after tax. In retail.
    Also living at home.
    A recent application of mine for a Tesco c.c. was turned down. They said details in m y application failed to meet their credit score criteria. This, they say, is their main tool in making a decision.

Any ideas of why this is the case. I've never defaulted on a loan, and have always cleared my balances.
    Could I make an appeal?

Pointless?

the only thing i was thinking, was that I filled out some part incorrectly....(i didn't photocopy my application)

t.y
    joe

Exact same thing happened to me 3 years ago, (and I have never been refused anything by any bank) Applied this year and go the card. It seems hit a miss. The approval process goes to UK it seems.

Once you do get the card you get a very low credit limit.

alex73 wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened to me 3 years ago, (and I have never been refused anything by any bank) Applied this year and go the card. It seems hit a miss. The approval process goes to UK it seems.

Yeah the letter from Tesco originated in Southend On Sea.

The strange thing was I got an unblemished credit report from the Irish Credit Bureau, a few weeks ago ....

hit and miss situation w Tesco for sure

alex73 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say €3,500 is low.

...and remember, it's not a limit, it's a target :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭chka

I have a tesco cc for many years and if you keep them happy with repayments for many years they can increase your limit to very high (my current limit is 1.5 times my before-tax salary). They're very good in safety and security, especially if you buy stuff from the internet. But the fact that they don't offer online statements, is seriously annoying. We're in 2010, even my TV has a web server. If they let me, I would even build the online statements functionality for free!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭burkemg

I joined Tesco Visa Credit last year, everything fine until I decided to opt for setting up a Direct Debit payment. This should be a straightforward procedure but they really made it complicated. There seems to be a lack of understanding. Firstly, when I called them a guy said everything would be fine - gave my bank details and DD was to be set up the following month. I did wonder why they hadn't sent me a mandate co complete, so at the end of the next month when I noticed that the payment didn't go through I phoned them and they advised me that yes, they should have sent out a mandate for a Euro account and that I would have it in the post in 7 days. This arrived and I completed it and returned it straight away. Same thing at the end of the next month, no DD set up. Phoned them again and paid by Laser, they apologised and said they never got the first mandate which I had returned! They sent another one which I completed and returned. However, next month same story. Paid it though An Post this time and payment went through ok. Their excuse this time was that an error was made by them when setting up my details, so no DD active. I am currently awaiting the third time for a new mandate to be sent out, It appears that this is a joke, but I am certainly not joking! They haven't applied any charges to my account, but unless I continually keep tracking the payments, they may do the same again. Thinking now of changing to another company. The reason I joined at first was to boost my Clubcard points which I recieve from shopping regularly at Tesco. Beware of this company!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

burkemg wrote: »
    I joined Tesco Visa Credit last year, everything fine until I decided to opt for setting up a Direct Debit payment. This should be a straightforward procedure but they really made it complicated. There seems to be a lack of understanding. Firstly, when I called them a guy said everything would be fine - gave my bank details and DD was to be set up the following month. I did wonder why they hadn't sent me a mandate co complete, so at the end of the next month when I noticed that the payment didn't go through I phoned them and they advised me that yes, they should have sent out a mandate for a Euro account and that I would have it in the post in 7 days. This arrived and I completed it and returned it straight away. Same thing at the end of the next month, no DD set up. Phoned them again and paid by Laser, they apologised and said they never got the first mandate which I had returned! They sent another one which I completed and returned. However, next month same story. Paid it though An Post this time and payment went through ok. Their excuse this time was that an error was made by them when setting up my details, so no DD active. I am currently awaiting the third time for a new mandate to be sent out, It appears that this is a joke, but I am certainly not joking! They haven't applied any charges to my account, but unless I continually keep tracking the payments, they may do the same again. Thinking now of changing to another company. The reason I joined at first was to boost my Clubcard points which I recieve from shopping regularly at Tesco. Beware of this company!!:eek:

I've also had a Direct Debit not going through and ended up being fined by Tesco for it! They said the bank rejected it even though the details were correct. Am awaiting on a new mandate form being sent out, also! I changed from Pigsback because they reduced the piggyback points to 1 point every 2 euro and further devalued them by charging crazy amounts of points for phone credit, so the clubcard points are worth more. Hoping this is sorted soon or I, too, will be changing!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭burkemg

After more than four months, tesco have at last set up my direct debit correctly after lost correspondence etc. I wait in anticipation to see if the first one goes through the bank successfully!
    I remain optimistic! There are too many pessimists around these days!!
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

burkemg wrote: »
    After more than four months, tesco have at last set up my direct debit correctly after lost correspondence etc. I wait in anticipation to see if the first one goes through the bank successfully!
    I remain optimistic! There are too many pessimists around these days!!
    ;)

What sort of credit limit did the rest of you get? I'm puzzled as to why mine was set at 1k, my monthly spending is more than double this so it keeps getting rejected so it is effectively a debit card rather than a credit card. I rang up to see if they could do anything but they said I would have to wait 12 months for a review. With 1k a month there isn't much "loyalty cash" left after the govt duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

If memory serves me right Tesco use MBNA anyway. I used to 'sell' MBNA credit cards. I also had one for a while. gave it up as I found their service lousy. Better off without one. Use a prepaid one if you can instead. I wish I never had one!

OneWayBet wrote: »
    What sort of credit limit did the rest of you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Tesco cards are not issued by MBNA

Not fair!
    It took them nearly 3 months to send me the card. I'm two minds whether to just close the account or wait to see if they will increase it to a usable limit. I never borrow against my card so I can't understand why they set it so low, I can only think it was either incompetence or they don't want my business precisely because I don't borrow against my card!

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Not fair!
    It took them nearly 3 months to send me the card. I'm two minds whether to just close the account or wait to see if they will increase it to a usable limit. I never borrow against my card so I can't understand why they set it so low, I can only think it was either incompetence or they don't want my business precisely because I don't borrow against my card!

I decided to investigate this and requested a report from the ICB. I got a good score (512 where scores range from 330-550), with no missed repayments on mortgage or credit cards over the recorded history. However I noticed an old Halifax credit card I had with a 12k credit limit is not closed off properly with the ICB, so this combined with my current card with an 8k limit makes it appear that I have a combined limit of 20k which might be why Tesco issued a very low limit of 1k.

I sometimes have to expense work related long haul flights and hotels hence the fairly high limit.

If anyone is curious about a refusal might be worth paying 6 euro for an ICB report on http://www.icb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Tesco cards are not issued by MBNA

Tesco Cards used to be issued by RBS but Tesco have taken their banking services inhouse - In the UK they now offer online CC account management, hopefully it will be here soon

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Hi all.
    I just applied for Tesco credit card also..

What was the initial credit limit that you got?
    Did you send some additional documents (passport, utility bill etc)?
    How long it took to receive the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭chka

Can't remember the original limit but now it's 8K

• Advertisement

finnteme wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I just applied for Tesco credit card also..

What was the initial credit limit that you got?
    Did you send some additional documents (passport, utility bill etc)?
    How long it took to receive the card?

For me it took about 3 months and I got a miserly 1k limit despite an excellent credit history (I was so surprised that I checked my ICB record).

Advertisement