Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked for estimate but repairs done without permission

Options
  • 10-02-2010 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

Without going into too much detail, I left a couple of items into a store for repair and specifically asked for an estimate before any repairs (its even written on the receipt) were carried out as I suspected they would be expensive.
    One of the items was of small value and I guessed the price of repairs would exceed the value of the item.
    I called the store after waiting a number of weeks for an estimate call which never came.
    The store quoted me a price way above what I considered acceptable so I told them I would call them back with a final answer but it was unlikely I would go ahead.
    I sent someone in to the store a few days ago to collect the items and they had already carried out the repairs and charged me the full amount.
    Where do I stand on this? The items have been repaired but I never wanted it done or agreed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

shepthedog wrote: »
    Without going into too much detail, I left a couple of items into a store for repair and specifically asked for an estimate before any repairs (its even written on the receipt) were carried out as I suspected they would be expensive.
    One of the items was of small value and I guessed the price of repairs would exceed the value of the item.
    I called the store after waiting a number of weeks for an estimate call which never came.
    The store quoted me a price way above what I considered acceptable so I told them I would call them back with a final answer but it was unlikely I would go ahead.
    I sent someone in to the store a few days ago to collect the items and they had already carried out the repairs and charged me the full amount.
    Where do I stand on this? The items have been repaired but I never wanted it done or agreed.
    they will have to return your goods to you as you did not authorise any repairs so can not be forced to pay for the repairs! this was probably either a mistake or a deliberate attempt to make money from you but either way i would pay them nothing and get the small claims court involved if they give you any hassle. the fact that it is written on the store docket when you handed the items in to ring with an estimate makes your case very strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

foggy_lad wrote: »
    they will have to return your goods to you !

Agree but they would probably be within their rights to take out any new parts they used, thus rendering the products broken again.

I'd see can you strike a deal with the store. I presume the store has wasted working time fixing the products, if they maybe offered to just charge you for the parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Thanks for the advice.. Its a very tricky situation really. Its alot of work to unrepair the items but in truth only one of them is worth keeping repaired.. I will try do a deal of sorts with them. I am expecting a call from them in morning so fingers crossed they offer a reasonable solution.

Advertisement