Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering Cabanas Nightclub and The Stables!

Options
  • 10-02-2010 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Playing darts in The Stables,

The Baskerville Hounds feat. Phelim Drew!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Lol you are on a roll today.

Cabana's the scene of many a Blandpebbles love affair :)

A bit of Pool, into the Hotel Bar and then on to Cabana's.

It was a sad day when the Woodlands Hotel was demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Watching Italia 90 down the Stables when the beer was rank but the craic was savage.

The Baskervilles farewell gig when Papa Baskerville (Ronnie) sang will the circle be unbroken. The place went wild. What a night.

The Swinging Chickens....My mama told me..if I was goody..that she would buy me...a rubber dolly !!!

Black Betty signalling the end of the night...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Black Betty signalling the end of the night...

And An Emotional Fish - Celebrate :)

Emotional Fish playing live thanks to Steve Carroll Promotions.

Runny non specific flavored curry on a paper plate.

The Summers when the population of girls at Cabanas would be swelled by Hot Spanish girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wicklah

Rudi Voller & Frank Riijard spitting up on the big screen and Dunphy (not Sean ;) using his magic pen to highlight.

Then out to the garden with drinks and swinging chickens.

Willie Byrne's bandana falling down over his eyes while playing on stage, can't remember the song.

Lighting up a smoke at the end of the woodlands road for that bit of confidence.

Ah.....the memories

That shaved head bouncer clocking some bloke who was annoying him, still remember the noise of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

1 It was the Baskerville Sisters

2 St Davids went co-ed in the 70's

3. The stables was like the 70's; anyone who can rember it clearly wasnt there!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    1 It was the Baskerville Sisters

2 St Davids went co-ed in the 70's

3. The stables was like the 70's; anyone who can rember it clearly wasnt there!

LOL... You are so right on the Baskerville Sisters, Fiachra! Thank You, See, I must have been there as I can`t remember :D

I left David`s in '79, so it must have been '73 when it went co-ed, maybe?

Wow... reliving the days... it`s all coming back now... who was the band who always played in the Stables, had a lead singer called Jimmy?... Loved them!
    And the Fureys!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coolhandd

where was the woodlands hotel? How long is it gone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

The Woodlands was down past what is now Greystones Inn by about 300 yards. There is now a small appartment block sitting more or less in the site where it was. Consisted of a bar in the hotel, a few rooms, another disco bar called Bitz, another very popular venue called the Stables which at one stage housed several pool tables but was better known for gigs, especillay the aforementioned Baskervilles. The nightclub was called Cabanas. Great spot altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Back further
    pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Does anyone remember when the Woodlands was the Clyda hotel owned by the Carmodys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

It Burnt down one night tragically, the fire started at approx 01:30 03:30 and 05:00 :rolleyes:

Think the nite-club closed near the end of 1991. Think the fire was quite a while after that.

Anyone remember the night in the 8os, 87-88 when one of the regulars came up to Cabanas with a bloodied face and reported he had been done over by some youths on the beach?

A certain Kilcoole local stepped out for a walk on the beach and the youths and their tents were found in a heap some hours later, battered and bruised.

Legend

[QUOTE=A certain Kilcoole local stepped out for a walk on the beach and the youths and their tents were found in a heap some hours later, battered and bruised.

Legend[/QUOTE] God, I'm really struggling to think who that might have been :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Anyone remember the night in the 8os, 87-88 when one of the regulars came up to Cabanas with a bloodied face and reported he had been done over by some youths on the beach?

A certain Kilcoole local stepped out for a walk on the beach and the youths and their tents were found in a heap some hours later, battered and bruised.

Legend

Those kind of stories are class...... and I suppose he came back and finished his pint of Harp or Furstenberg when all was sorted ... Ahhh !!!Those were the days as they say ....

If you knew this person, you would already know this was the least of their antics.

And no... they went for a bag of chips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

If you knew this person, you would already know this was the least of their antics.

And no... they went for a bag of chips

Oh Jaysus..... Has timed calmed him down den eh ?

I don't want to derail Clodagh's thread so...back to the memories...

Trying to spoof the bouncers by coolly walking in with a 'howy lads'

• Advertisement

Trying to get in free by winking at the good looking bouncer called "Mark" !! :D

Copying Mrs. Doyle`s up to date fashion statements! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Ralph McTell played there once as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lenny72

brings back a few memories alright, although in reality the place was a bit of a dive really, but we all remember it fondly (for reference, you can see it briefly, along with stables / woodlands in pierce brosnan movie Taffin). The stables itself was originally a snooker club with bar, but changed to a great live music venue - low roof meant interesting acoustics!! first saw leo kelly in the woodlands bar (he is still playing, and sounds great) which was also a music venue of sorts..was funny how long the nightclub was closing for as they milked the revenue for many weeks before it finally did. club life then arrived but was never the same, at the back of the latouche - started out as an over 21's place but that is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lenny72

was served my first pint by wally stevens in bitz bar - great man for high scores on defender! i had had great difficulty getting past bouncers as i was the youngest of our group at 14. was then told after a pint or 3 that was time to go 'next door' so i stupidly lashed a whole pint down, and then only made it as far as the door before i puked it all up on the bouncers feet!! lucky to get away alive and did no go back for a while.

Advertisement