Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois shopping centre extension/Aldi

Options
  • 10-02-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Nope. I've given up all hope of Aldi ever arriving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Nope. I've given up all hope of Aldi ever arriving.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

Saw diggers on site yestherday and heard that it is at tender stage in relation to the building of store

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

When I go back to Clondalkin to see my parents there is always an Aldi leaflet there taunting me with its special offers.

Its heartbreaking it really is.

I'm all sad now

Joe
    Bujinkan Portlaoise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Was there not a lot of complaints to the council about Aldi?!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Sunny86

cpb wrote: »
    Saw diggers on site yestherday and heard that it is at tender stage in relation to the building of store

ALDI have there own construction teams they don't put builing work out to tender. Their shops only take a few weeks to build, look how fast the one in Tullamore went up. Must be more to this story, maybe planning or council issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

I know one of the lads who is involved with the steel work on Aldi supermarkets he was telling me recently that they have the go ahead on it and should be starting in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Work has commenced on site AFAIK.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

kmart6 wrote: »
    Was there not a lot of complaints to the council about Aldi?!

No there was not any complaints given into the council about Aldi.
    What happened was that Laois County Council wanted Aldi to construct a road in and around where the new Heaton's, Homebase and the rest of the store's in that area.
    The road was ment to constructed from that area to roughly where 4home superstores was, Aldi would of got permission to build their store if they constructed that road,
    However they refused because it would be to expensive.
    I believe that Aldi still have their application,but it is being turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

Sunny86 wrote: »
    ALDI have there own construction teams they don't put builing work out to tender. Their shops only take a few weeks to build, look how fast the one in Tullamore went up. Must be more to this story, maybe planning or council issues.

The tender I meant was for the ground works. Which has now started. Copy and paste from Laois CO. CO. planning site

Commencement Summary
    Number of Units: 1 Valid Commencement?: Yes
    Dev Commence Ind: Y Fire Cert Number: 23/2009
    Commencement Date: 25/01/2010 Estimated Completed Date:
    Commencement Received: 08/01/2010 Dev Commencement Number: 10/2
    Notice Description: Aldi discount foodstore, car park, side access road and works required to kylekiproe road, Phase 1
    Fee Exempt? No Fee Amount Paid : 31.00

Fee Receipt Date : 08/01/2010 Fee Receipt Num : 175770

Commencement Contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ah confusion on my part....was thinking of the one in Port!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TheKid

Aldi will happen this year, they see it as a big project.They went head to head with Tesco for that site and have plans for a fine unit there.

Laois shopping centre may not be finished anytime soon, minimal work there at moment is being carried out to satisfy county council and their planning regulations.

Aldi should hopefully be up in running sometime in the near future. Work appears to be progressing nicely on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Aldi opens in June - according to todays Leinster Express Newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PFMP2008

Now that Aldi has finally arived in portlaoise, does anyone actually go there to shop???
    Hope the new shopping centre doesn't take too long!!!

PFMP2008 wrote: »
    Now that Aldi has finally arived in portlaoise, does anyone actually go there to shop???

Yes, I do. I like it's variety better than Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

we do too, definitely better than lidl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I tried it for a while too; liked the products but don't like the "pack your shopping away from the till" policy (while the cashier literally throws the stuff at you "it's company policy"- not so easy or consumer friendly if you've a big family shop and two or three young kids in tow. I'm back to Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I tried it for a while too; liked the products but don't like the "pack your shopping away from the till" policy (while the cashier literally throws the stuff at you "it's company policy"- not so easy or consumer friendly if you've a big family shop and two or three young kids in tow. I'm back to Lidl.

I like it too, not for my full shop, but get a lot of my things there now, as for packing my shopping, i said ok, no bother, and then continued to pack it away while she fired it at me, granted it wasnt my normal nice neat packing, but I got it in there before she could let it built up. Im too competitive, couldnt give her the satisfaction of beating my bag filling expertise.*:p

*Im sure she couldnt care less..

It's the same at Lidl. :confused:

It's not like Tesco where they have lots of counter space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's the same at Lidl. :confused:

/QUOTE]

No, don't think so, we've been shopping weekly at Lidl for the past 8 years or so and well used to packing the groceries in a hurry! I'd have the Lidl experience over Aldi any day (at least where that is concerned). Their loss.

Advertisement