Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Portlaoise

Options
  • 10-02-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Probably Freedom Fitness on the Dublin road or the one out at the Maldron Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Depends what you are looking for really. I haven't been to the Maldron so can't comment, but have used Freedom and the Leisure Centre. While Freedom is definitely cheaper, I actually find the Leisure Centre better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Iolar wrote: »
    What about the gym at the killeshin hotel?
    this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

What about the gym at the killeshin hotel?

Can't comment. Forgot completely about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlybob

It depends on what you are looking for. I am a member of the leisure center and i have to say the classes there are fantastic, the staff are excellent and very encouraging, seem to have a real interest in their clients. The gym itself is very well quipped and I think the opening hours are better than freedom fitness. My O/h was a member there and it seems to be very weight lifting orientated!!

Also the pool is great, and the entire complex is very well kept.

you can also pay as you go if you want to try it out!!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

Thanks everyone for your replies,im going to try out the leisure centre first
    If you want a decent place with proper facilities, stay with the Leisure Centre, Killeshin or Maldron (Midway Roundabout).

Freedom is currently the cheapest by at least 100 Euro, but it has a certain type of blustery clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I moved up to Portloaise last week. I am trying to find a good gym.

I was in Freedom Fitness. Good Gym, cheap, good equipment, just the weights area is too crowded.

I was in the Leisure centre last night. Clean big, comfortable. just they seem to not have any heavy weights, but would be perfect for most casual users. Also have loads of classes. That spinning stuff is good!

My housemates reckon the killeshin is the right job so I'll try that one next.

And then there is the Maldron I'll try that after the Killeshin, and report back!

Looking for a Squat rack, but they seem to be hard to find, so will just have to do without, as I hate crowded Gyms so can't use freedom.

Hope this is somewhat useful. I'll post about the other 2 next week, as I am off till Monday after today so heading off home! Pints woo hoo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I use the Killeshin, but only for the pool at the mo.

I think there is an offer of 150 for 3 months which isn't too bad.

Good opening times 6:30 mon to fri which is good for an early swim before work. Its a nice quiet gym with good staff as well.

Only prob i have is that the sauna isn't hot enough.

Another thought....Is there a Gym in the Heritage is that the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Another thought....Is there a Gym in the Heritage is that the hotel?

There is and I'm 90% sure they have a squat rack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

There's a squat rack in the Maldron.

Just to update you.
    I visited 2 gyms today - sounds good, but let me finish.
    First gym was the Killeshin. went in, and asked could I pay to go into the gym, and I was informed that it was a members only gym and that I would have to join the gym. I asked could I use it for a day or two, just to see if it was worth joining. I was informed no. And then I was told I could only use it with a member, so I knew a guy who was just after going in, and told the guy behind the counter that I knew him, and could I go in now. He says, "OK, that'll be €10".....I said good luck i'll go to another gym. I'll never pay €10 for one gym session

SO I went to the heritage. Decent gym, squat rack, not too busy, a bit worn and a few broken machines, but it was good, THe guy behind the counter was more than helpful, gave me a complimentary pass, and let me on my way. They have a 6 month package for €250 so i'll probably join that.

The killeshin lost a member in that 5 minutes dealings with the guy at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

the heritage gym and club vitae at the maldron are both very good.
    pm me your details and I can sort you out with a special offer for club vitae at the maldron, good gym, good pool, clean and well run and much cheaper

doedoe wrote: »
    the heritage gym and club vitae at the maldron are both very good.
    pm me your details and I can sort you out with a special offer for club vitae at the maldron, good gym, good pool, clean and well run and much cheaper

Cool, Thanks. I'll send that pm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭McCloskey_A

Anyone else any opinions, looking for nice gym and pool, not v fitness orientated at the moment - but trying! Wedding in 9 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Heritage is prob best in town its a little worn but still the best ...People in there are so friendly and helpfull..Pool always kept very well...

some good deals to be had if you ask/haggle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Ben pricing the gyms myself, Heritage has come out trumps versus leisure centre etc - going with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Thread wee bit old hope the mods wont mind me adding by bit, :)
    Anyways i joined Club Vitae 2 months back very happy with the place Has everything Plenty of Space, Weights, treadmills Cardio machines etc & they will do you a good deal.
    I would of joined Max Fitness but thats other end of town & traffic can be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

Can you just pay per session in the Heritage? or do you have to join? Want to use the Squat rack but dont want to join a gym as I'll only need it for a couple weeks while im in Portlaoise and the Leisure center doesnt have one :/

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

If you go in and Ask for Threase or Darren in the Heritage I'm sure he/she will sort something for ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

laois gael wrote: »
    If you go in and Ask for Threase or Darren in the Heritage I'm sure he/she will sort something for ya...

Really? ha they just sound or something? im fearing that it will be like 10€ or something tho :L

Advertisement