Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10/22 Denied?

Options
  • 10-02-2010 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Just head back from the Gardai that I am denied a license for the standard Ruger 10/22 for which I had been approved, several years ago.

Has anyone had their Ruger 10/22 approved or denied in the past few months?

The barrel and overall length are fine according to the Commissioner's guidelines, I have a 5 round mag, and they even mention 22 auto's for rabbit culling in the pdf.

So, the problem is...?

On the bright side, I did get a license for the 30-06 for deer.

Also, what "good reason" would you have to cite: culling vermin?

Slan,
    JOM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

It depends whether you applied for it as restriced or non restriced.
    Does it have a pistol grip or folding stock or resemble a military assault rifle???
    check out the guidelines for what is concidered as restricted,,most of the reasons make no sense whatsoever. the look of the gun etc.
    other than that what reason were you given for the refusal???
    this info might help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

So, the problem is...?

You tell us?:rolleyes:;) What did the refusal state as the "reason(s) for refusal"?
    what "good reason" would you have to cite

:confused:What "good reason" did you cite already? That may have been the issue.

Can't really give you any help without knowing at least these two bits of critical information:D
    On the bright side, I did get a license for the 30-06 for deer.

Congrats on the 30-06 grant though. That makes it a tad weirder that you'd get a fullbore licence - but not the .22 licence. On that basis - I'm guessing the reason for refusal was something to do with the nasty bad dangerous weapon that's a semi-automatic - Was the 10/22 black in colour too?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jamesomara

... for the speedy replies. I guess I am hoping for confirmation of a 10/22 that was allowed and to know what the "good reason" was.

The 10/22 is almost 100% stock here she is
    http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/index.html
    throw on rings and a scope - that's all. Nothing "tricked out": no folding stock, no flash supressor, no pistol grip, no silly tactical wanna be stuff.

As of right now, the refusal is word of mouth, nothing in writing.

I will have to check to see what I applied for. What should I have applied for "restricted?"

I guess they refused it as it is restricted or my use, targets, was not accepted.

Honestly, I think that the lads in Dublin overlooked that it is a rimfire. I have an old license and nothing has changed. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the responses. If anyone has recently received a license for the standard Ruger 10/22 please advise your success and "good reason."

FWIW - the Gardai in this area have always been more than cooperative. They have been very helpful.

What should I have applied for "restricted?"

Nearly sure that's not a restricted firearm AFAIK. But I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.:D
    my use, targets, was not accepted

Are you a member of an authorised range or target shooting authorised club? If you are, I'd be v surprised at your refusal.

If you are not, that's probably the "reason" for refusal IMHO.

... but have been granted the rights to shoot on several farms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

jamesomara wrote: »
    ... for the speedy replies. I guess I am hoping for confirmation of a 10/22 that was allowed and to know what the "good reason" was.

The 10/22 is almost 100% stock here she is
    http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/index.html
    throw on rings and a scope - that's all. Nothing "tricked out": no folding stock, no flash supressor, no pistol grip, no silly tactical wanna be stuff.

As of right now, the refusal is word of mouth, nothing in writing.

I will have to check to see what I applied for. What should I have applied for "restricted?"

I guess they refused it as it is restricted or my use, targets, was not accepted.

Honestly, I think that the lads in Dublin overlooked that it is a rimfire. I have an old license and nothing has changed. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the responses. If anyone has recently received a license for the standard Ruger 10/22 please advise your success and "good reason."

FWIW - the Gardai in this area have always been more than cooperative. They have been very helpful.

You applied for it for shooting targets. Are you a member of a club with access to an authorised range, and did you enclose details of such? Since it's illegal to participate in target shooting outside an authorised range, you wouldn't have a valid reason without that.

Okay, question answered. You can't target-shoot on farms, so you'll have to supply another reason. Why not get it as a bunny-rifle, since you're already hunting and you have permission to shoot on farms?

james, there's your reason for refusal right there, I'm sorry to say:
    not a memeber of a club...

You cannot licence a firearm to shoot targets anywhere other than as a member of an authorised range or as a member of an authorised target shooting club. You need to provide proof of such membership as the primary "good reason" for target shooting. You will not get a licence I'm sorry to say for informal "target" shooting (i.e. plinking) on farmland AFAIK.

If you gave any other reason than "target shooting" as your "good reason", e.g. vermin culling or whatever it says in the Comm Guidelines, you'd have stood a far better chance of a grant.

... I will have to reapply and perhaps, send in a copy of the original license which had the same good reason on it.

Thanks for the help - I will advise how things go.

JOM

+1 what IWM said

I note from your OP that you'd read the Comm Guidelines - How did you miss the part about target shooting and "good reason"? Not trying to be a smart-a**e here, but ?:confused:

IWM is right - Try reapplying with your "good reason" well thought-out and supported by proof of your actual good reason, i.e. bunny culling or whatever?

• Advertisement

... I will have to reapply and perhaps, send in a copy of the original license which had the same good reason on it.

Thanks for the help - I will advise how things go.

JOM

No, don't bother your arse with sending in the old licence or anything. Just re-apply with shooting bunnies as the reason and use the farmers' permissions. Or, if you have no interest in shooting bunnies, your options are to join a target-shooting club if you still want to shoot targets, or sell the rifle.

:DBest of luck with it - Hope all goes well!

See if you can pull (i.e. Withdraw) the current application before the refusal letter is issued officially - Otherwise you'll have to note the refusal on your new application.:eek:

Thanks for the advice. Will ring the Gardai tomorrow.

I would actually prefer the 22 over the 30-06. The 30-06 is really limited to deer. However, it does work on bunnies!

Even if you miss they tend to be in a state of shock... Makes them taste a bit gamey though :-(

Thanks again - slan...

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Yeah good reason seems to be the problem alright,,reapply and state you want it for pest control on the farm.
    I got my rem 597 semi auto with 10 round mag no hassle but thats because I use it on a range for target and competition.
    By the way word of mouth in unacceptable,get it in writing before you do any more.
    then let us know how it went

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

... I will have to reapply .............

dCorbus wrote:
    .........Try reapplying .............

.......Just re-apply with shooting bunnies .........

daveob007 wrote:
    ...reapply and state ...........

Here is the important bit............
    dCorbus wrote:
    .............See if you can pull (i.e. Withdraw) the current application before the refusal letter is issued officially ..........

Once the refusal is issued there is only appeals left open to you. I have yet to hear of a Super overturning his decision. Not to say it won't/hasn't happened but i've yet to hear of one.

Get the application back before the decision is rendered. You cannot re-apply saying "i didn't think the first reason i gave was good enough so i'm changing it to something that is more acceptable and trying it again". It won't be accepted. After the refusal is issued you have 30 days to appeal or surrender your rifle. Act now or suffer later.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement