Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My puppys first haircut/bath

Options
  • 10-02-2010 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a new puppy 9 weeks old and was wondering how long do I wait to get her first hair cut.Id also like to get her used to baths.So anyone any idea when I could start.Thanks in advance;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Depends on the dog really.
    I've a Lhasa and we got her at 9wks and she didn't get her fur cut til she was at least 5months (trying to remember) and that was only a trim because her adult coat hadn't grown in fully yet.

Bathing, only do it if you have to tbh. We used to just put Daisy in the sink and fill up to just above her paws with warm water, if she'd managed to soil herself when doing #2s. So we could clean her backside. But unless they're smelly/dirty there's no real need for baths too often. Also if it's a longhaired dog, bathing can matt the hair underneath, so showering as such would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Thanks for that she is a Shih tzu cross.Thats very helpful ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ah so similar ish to mine :) gorgeous!
    Just make sure to get some decent brushes and get her used to grooming, that's very important. My older Lhasa we didn't get til she was almost 2 and she hate hate hates it. She's mildly better but still isn't happy. And if they get dirty in mud etc, as awkward as it is, best to let it dry, and then brush it out. We used to bath ours but all it meant was we were matting the hair if we didn't brush it properly whilst drying and it's not good to wash too often anyway.

Might want to get her used to a hair dryer too lol, a cool one - if ye do end up bathing her at all. Helps to take the damp out whilst brushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I'm sorry - I have nothing useful to say. But your post title is one of the cutest things I've seen! Can just imagine a gorgeous little puppy getting ready for her first haircut. Awwwwwww!!! :p:o:p
    You should take before and after pics - they'll be lovely things to look back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, both of mine are long haired breeds, and washed regularly, but at this time of year I'd be very careful of washing a young pup.
    I'd do as Star-pants said, unless it's really badly needed. The dirty bum is common and happens often, if not too bad try baby wipes.(the joy of hairy dogs:o)
    At the moment if my two need a wash, I bath them in the early evening when the heat is on and house is warm, put their beds by the rad, and use the hairdryer a bit. Make sure they are really dry before bedtime and give fresh dry bedding.
    With long haired breeds I find mixing shampoo in a jug with water, then pouring over the dogs works best, never rub shampoo in as it will cause matts.
    Also squeeze off as much water as you can and wrap in warm towel, again don't rub, just smooth down ib direction of hair.
    It also helps to brush well first as you can't comb the wet hair(any matts just get tighter), and brush again when dry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Obviously as its very cold at the moment if you give her a bath you need to be very careful to keep her warm afterwards. However it is easier to get them used to new experiences when they are young so maybe in a few weeks when it's warmer you could try it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Puppies have a good few accidents at that age and sometimes in their bed so they can get a bit stinky and if it sticks to the fur a lot it can get uncomfortable but just washing any soiled areas with warm water should be enough at that age. If using a shampoo a nice mild puppy one, as said regular brushing will help a lot your pup might not need clipping often perhaps once we get into hot weather but it takes a while for a pups hair to grow fully at the moment your pup has puppy hair/fluff and that takes a while to grow out and the adult coat to come through.

Wouldn't be in a rush to cut the pups fur at all yet, a good time might be around the 6 month mark just before she's spayed so that her hair is easy to manage and the stitches are easier to keep clean then.

Advertisement