Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witnessed Horse Been Beaten

Options
  • 10-02-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

within an inch of its life with whips and kicks been inflicted by 3 scumbags. Reported them to the Gardai but am been told by neighbours that nothing will happen to them, Rang the local I.S.P.C.A. but as per usual please leave a message. Rang warden but it was engaged.

I approached these people and the wounds on the horse were horriffic was told where to go in no uncertain terms. I told them I was reporting them as I never seen such cruelty to an animal in all my life. Is there anything else I can do ? Or anyone else I can tell? This guy has more horses and donkeys too and dread to think what is happening with them.
    The horse was attached to a horse trap and he went on his back a few times beaten got back up beaten with whips about the head and fell on his side a few times. Horrific to witness.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

God that's horrific :( Keep trying the ISPCA, hound them if you have to. And as much as you won't want to, can you get photos of the horse for proof if needs be? No one should be allowed get away with such a horrific thing, please follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

oh my god thats awful. Im so sorry for you having to witness it.

All you can do is keep trying the correct authorities. Maybe get the name of the guard you reported it to and keep at them for progress.

There is very little really that can be done, these scum get away with everything.

I wouldnt recomend doing this as it would be too dangerous, if you know a team of tough burly looking 7ft men, getting them to film them and tell them your giving it to the guards could deter them.

Also, if you see it again, call the guards and tell the you are witnessing an assault. Put the under the impression that it is a person being assaulted my three boys, and hopefully the guards would show up and do something!

If these people can inflict so much pain on an innocent animal I shudder to think of what they would do to a person that really annoyed them.

I hope your ok after witnessing this, it must have been a real shock, take care of yourself. x

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Go to your nearest Garda station & say that you wish to file a "formal report" & give evidence. Do not get fobbed off. Make it clear that you will be expecting daily updates & that you will not hesitate to report the matter to the Garda Ombudsman if the matter is not dealt with.

The law is very clear & the Gardai have to enforce it. Animal cruelty is no different to any other crime. Yes also continue to pursue the ISPCA but remember that even they will have to contact the Guards.

Well done for having the courage to approach these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

was down with the Guards again yesterday,and they said a car was sent there but they have no report back about it as yet.Still waiting from them to phone me though like they said they would:mad:The I.S.P.C.A.is impossible to get here in Wicklow phone is either engaged or no tone at all.Warden has no number listed but will see if the Gardai have it.Like you said I get the feeling I am been fobbed off.

If you insist on making a formal complaint, make a statement & get a crime number. I have been told by someone who should know ( but don't quote me ) that once a crime number is allocated then you become a statistic & the Gardai will be keener to solve it.

You may be running out of time as the physical evidence - the marks on the horse may fade. Also even if a vet examined the animal it might be hard to prove when the injury was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Thanks so much for all the replies,once again I was in the Garda station today and they still have no report on the outcome when the Gardai went to his address:(So I reckon its all too late now.However I know where these horses and donkeys are stabled,well so called stables.They are in a large field not owned by the culprit.I will be up there again and have my camera or mobile at the ready,I am mad at myself for not using my camera phone now but at the time it was the horse that was on my mind.I also doubt the Gardai ever went to this persons home.Hopefully there wont be a next time but if there is I will be prepared to video it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If the field is not owned by the culprit, report them to the council for trespass.
    I wouldn't be relying on the guards to do anything, use the by-laws and the council.
    Put everything in writing, insist on getting the names of people you deal with and be an all round pain in the bum until you see something done.
    Get a couple of friends to report the same things.
    Unfortunately, this is often the only way to get something done in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

This is shocking but i'm not surprised the law wont move on it. I'm in wicklow and would be more than happy to help in any way I can. I have pet's myself and this kind of thing sickens me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

spurious wrote: »
    Get a couple of friends to report the same things.

Can someone report something even if they haven't seen it? Or do they have to have witnessed the incident? If it's the latter and somebody reports the incident based on hearsay, will that weaken the OP's reports and case (i.e. if the guards/council find out that not all of those who have reported the incident actually witnessed it, will they think the same of the OP)?

OP, if you could get footage, whether photos or videos, of the incident, it would really support your reports and complaints to the gardai/council/animal welfare groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

OP be very careful though. these people are obviously very dangerous and have no respect for animals, so chances are they won't be impressed with you either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

If these people can inflict so much pain on an innocent animal I shudder to think of what they would do to a person that really annoyed them.

Probably nothing tbh. People that abuse animals are low-life cowards. If a person really annoyed them then they'd probably just run off home to beat the crap out of their dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I'd advise you to get the name & no.s of the guards you have been speaking with. While I have met and dealt with some really lovely and committed gardai in my time, I've also noticed that most of the time making a report at a station ends up going nowhere.

If they know you have their name & seem intent on following it up you may have a better chance of them taking you seriously.

This is v. upsetting! I hope something happens.

Unfortunately the only way to get action on these cases is to move very quickly. Evidence is key & in the absence of video, the key evidence is the condition of the horse. If the horse is still marked it will possibly of been moved out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I know this was a week ago now but how/where are the horses now?

I found some numbers of places that should be able to help here some of them have their own websites that look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Ring the Irish Horse Welfare Trust http://www.ihwt.ie/

Contact Irish Horse Welfare Trust (IHWT) at
    IHWT Equine Welfare Centre
    Ballinamona
    Woodenbridge
    Co Wicklow
    Telephone: (0404) 45720 or (0404) 30773

They may be able to help you especially if these "people" and I use that term loosely have other horses that they are abusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

MsFifers wrote: »
    I'd advise you to get the name & no.s of the guards you have been speaking with. While I have met and dealt with some really lovely and committed gardai in my time, I've also noticed that most of the time making a report at a station ends up going nowhere.

If they know you have their name & seem intent on following it up you may have a better chance of them taking you seriously.

This is v. upsetting! I hope something happens.

they only do something about it when the world is watching,
    remember the case a few years ago about all the animals that were rescued, i think there was about 5/6 horses and various other small animals..
    did that operation only happen after the papers did a spread about it?
    i dont remember exactly, but its shocking how people can act like that to innocent animals,

i seen a guy once whipping a horse for no reason, he said he was trying to break it in. the guy that owned the horse took the whip off him an hit him a whack of it and the guy was in pain as well as shock!

no claims or anything were made and the guy was sacked from training them, but i dont think he realised how painful it is till he got a taste of it himself!

the guy that owned the horse was not happy and had reacted bad in a way,
    but theres nothing else he could have done to make the guy see how wrong it was..

Advertisement