Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Ireland

• 10-02-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

It's an absolute joke. We all know that. Copper wiring, dreadful isp's and a government that doesn't give a flying f*ck.

What needs to be done? Who's cage do we need to rattle to get this serious issue recognised? Do we need to tear all of the copper out and replace with fibre?

The internet being the most insane tool for effecting change I was thinking about starting a campaign. Not just any campaign, balls to the wall, toys out of the pram, rage against the machine for christmas number 1 campaign.

I know I'm not the only one sick of all of this crap and it's seriously about time we got proactive, facebook, twitter, government email bombardment hell I'm willing to march about this!

Any ideas/thoughts!?

Who's with me!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

We don't have the internet speed to send that many emails..

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

Well Gaw a frankly stunning contribution there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Great idea...

I'm good at toys out of the pram, raging against the machine etc. etc.

Problem is my internet connection wouldn't stand up to the stress! :rolleyes:

I'm with ya...

broadbandspeedchart.jpg

Now this is the kind of sh*t I'm talkin about, we're just slightly better than the mexicans and greeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

http://irelandoffline.org/

They are already doing stuff along those lines.

They have a forum on boards too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=60

facebook group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=69474680930

facebook group has been very quiet really as it wasn't pushed and the forum is more active than most
    facebook groups. If facebook is your thing you are welcome to liven it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

count me in....so sick of this crap

bealtine wrote: »
    http://irelandoffline.org/

They are already doing stuff along those lines.

They have a forum on boards too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=60

Wow that makes my revolution redundant!

what you want is either a blog or website which is going to get a high google page rank - ireland offline just doesnt cause enough problems for these providers..

Join up with this one and make your voice heard:-)

anoble66 wrote: »
    what you want is either a blog or website which is going to get a high google page rank - ireland offline just doesnt cause enough problems for these providers..

That's the spirit! Now we need to brainstorm as to how we cause problems for them! I've actually been in touch with Eamon Ryan about a separate broadband issue and unfortunately he's beyond useless.

Media coverage and a facebook group that captures peoples attention. But how!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

those japs are are always up there with the cool stuff, they got it goin on

and yes this broadband melarky is doing my head in here since my connection suddenly dropped to 1/6th its intended speed and 1/300th of its upload spped! :mad:

-=al=- wrote: »
    those japs are are always up there with the cool stuff, they got it goin on

and yes this broadband melarky is doing my head in here since my connection suddenly dropped to 1/6th its intended speed and 1/300th of its upload spped! :mad:

I feel your pain, well I would if I could actually get a phone line! Actually having to use these crappy pay as you go broadband thingies.

It causes plenty of "problems" for those providers and is read by all the relevant people there, in the minister's office and in Comreg. Do you think some random facebook page/campaign will suddenly become read by all and sundry?

It causes plenty of "problems" for those providers and is read by all the relevant people there, in the minister's office and in Comreg. Do you think some random facebook page/campaign will suddenly become read by all and sundry?

I think that's the crux of the problem. People in this country (well the majority) are happy enough to just use the net for bebo/email/facebook and as such a 3mb line is absolutely perfect for them, therefore a campaign to get a 100mb line made standard for the country isn't gonna get the attention that Rage campaign got.

The government looks like the frontbenchers are the same guys on the frontline 2 decades ago so they couldn't give a crap about t'interwebz.
    But how do we galvanise them into action? Is the recession an easy way in? Now that more people are unemployed/redundant more people are going to attempt to start home businesses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I thought Broadband was poor in Ireland till I came to Australia. If you are in Dublin, you really dont know how good you have it.

Hmm no, I dont think I ever mentioned some random facebook page. But a dedicated website which names and shames these ISP's and the terrible service they are providing with real users contributing with their problems.

Very quickly you would have reps from the companies looking to assist or resolve the problems....just look at the amount of ISP reps on boards.ie - why do you think they do this? Because the bad publicity is affecting their business and they want to be seen to actively resolve the problems.

Irelandoffline I can see helps getting the attention of the government and comreg on issues but not the providers themselves....they wont give a crap unless you affect their sales.

I think that's the crux of the problem. People in this country (well the majority) are happy enough to just use the net for bebo/email/facebook and as such a 3mb line is absolutely perfect for them, therefore a campaign to get a 100mb line made standard for the country isn't gonna get the attention that Rage campaign got.

The government looks like the frontbenchers are the same guys on the frontline 2 decades ago so they couldn't give a crap about t'interwebz.
    But how do we galvanise them into action? Is the recession an easy way in? Now that more people are unemployed/redundant more people are going to attempt to start home businesses?

I'd go to the forum and ask:)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forum...php?forumid=60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Hmm no, I dont think I ever mentioned some random facebook page. But a dedicated website which names and shames these ISP's and the terrible service they are providing with real users contributing with their problems.

Very quickly you would have reps from the companies looking to assist or resolve the problems....just look at the amount of ISP reps on boards.ie - why do you think they do this? Because the bad publicity is affecting their business and they want to be seen to actively resolve the problems.

Irelandoffline I can see helps getting the attention of the government and comreg on issues but not the providers themselves....they wont give a crap unless you affect their sales.

What reps? If that was true we should have at least 100 reps from UPC judging by the number of complains here about UPC. They were even invited here but they didn’t bother.

Advertisement