Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleeced on floss

Options
  • 10-02-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I was in the states recently and found that I had forgotten my dental floss. I had just purchased some at a chemist for around €5. So while shopping with a friend I picked up another package of the exact same stuff--Oral B for 99 cents!! That's not the worst part! Upon turning over the container the bottom said "Made in Ireland"!!! How is it that something that is made here costs more than the export? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Dental floss is expensive in Ireland but I have never paid €5 for it, depends where we are in country I guess. I'd say €3.50 is a fair enough estimate of the going rate (a rip-off in itself) I end up paying, but i try get it on bargain if I can, usually boots (or boots brand which is cheaper) I've bought some in Lidl before but find its too tough on teeth to use.

As regards your experience in the states, nothing suprises me anymore! Its either like you say it and its still cheaper to import, or more likely the Yanks stamp "Made in Ireland" to cash in on the heritage aspect of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

If you can remember the manufacturers name just send them a letter asking them that exact question.
    If they write back I would love to see their logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

i always get mine in aldi or lidl, cost is buttons, works perfect! even tastes minty fresh:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

tommy21 wrote: »
    ... or more likely the Yanks stamp "Made in Ireland" to cash in on the heritage aspect of it!

Heritage Aspect .... on Dental Floss ? ... I think thats a tad far fetched, not to mention Im sure there's a legal requirement to state COO on products ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

RayCon wrote: »
    Heritage Aspect .... on Dental Floss ? ... I think thats a tad far fetched, not to mention Im sure there's a legal requirement to state COO on products ?

I think you'll find its an ecumenical matter Ray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jimoc wrote: »
    If you can remember the manufacturers name just send them a letter asking them that exact question.
    The manufacturer could well be charging less for it over here wholesale. My money is on the chemist being expensive, its the last place I would go to buy stuff like that, just like I would not buy a watch battery in a jewellers, both have low rates of turnover and so I would expect them to have very high margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

poopsie wrote: »
    I was in the states recently and found that I had forgotten my dental floss. I had just purchased some at a chemist for around €5. So while shopping with a friend I picked up another package of the exact same stuff--Oral B for 99 cents!! That's not the worst part! Upon turning over the container the bottom said "Made in Ireland"!!! How is it that something that is made here costs more than the export? :mad:

I was in Thailand during the summer and when I bought dental floss I discovered on packing that it was made in Ireland too. Mad as it prob cost me less than €1 over there....

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

rubadub wrote: »
    The manufacturer could well be charging less for it over here wholesale. My money is on the chemist being expensive, its the last place I would go to buy stuff like that, just like I would not buy a watch battery in a jewellers, both have low rates of turnover and so I would expect them to have very high margins.

you would think that they would notice that the two are linked :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Another classic example of the Paddy tax!
    At least our teeth will be looking pearly White, whilst we "grin and bare it" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14 poopsie

jimoc wrote: »
    If they write back I would love to see their logic.

Hey Jimoc. I'd LOVE to ask Oral-B how they can charge such scandalous prices but I'm betting that it's not Oral-B at all. I'm betting it's all the extra tax upon tax upon tax that made it the price I paid here. And, yeah, I'll get it in Lidl's next time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement