Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amount of adhesive for 10sqm

Options
  • 10-02-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just had tiles put down, guy in shop told me I needed 1 25kg bag of adhesive. Tiler said he had to go buy another 2 bags and charged me 110 for the privelage. Am I being ripped off?

Tiles are travertine, adhesive is flexible white tiles are around 12mm deep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

SlyRax wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just had tiles put down, guy in shop told me I needed 1 25kg bag of adhesive. Tiler said he had to go buy another 2 bags and charged me 110 for the privelage. Am I being ripped off?

Tiles are travertine, adhesive is flexible white tiles are around 12mm deep

Your asking in the wrong forum most tilers look into DIY and construction but tbh it depends on a couple of things

I allowed 12 meters per 25kg bag but it all depends on the floor and how level it is, 110 Euro is expensive for adhesive however the tiler did have to go and get it.

Marble is an expensive tile and usually requires a flex white adhesive which is the dearest of the adhesives.

I have a general rule of tumb I lived by. you pay half again for adhesives what you pay for tiles and even more if the floor is uneven.

ps: The shops never tell you the right amount of adhesive and in most cases give you the wrong adhesive.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gsp119

joey - can you use a flex white adhesive with porcelan floor and wall tiles? am I right in saying it gives you a better finish?

I have to get approx 28 squ yards tiled - not sure how much adhesive and grout to get also

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

gsp119 wrote: »
    joey - can you use a flex white adhesive with porcelan floor and wall tiles? am I right in saying it gives you a better finish?

I have to get approx 28 squ yards tiled - not sure how much adhesive and grout to get also

cheers

You use flex white adhesive with porc floor and wall tiles. Its nothing to do with the finish its to do with the mechanics. It needs to be flexi as porc like marble breathes.

It also needs to be white as you can see the grey through a light tile. However if you are using grey or black porc then grey adhesive is suitable.

The safe way to play it is ask the tiler to quote for the supply of adhesives in the price. This way if the tiles fall off the wall the tiler bears all the resonsability.

Belive it or not... all walls should be primed before tiling but i do not know if its always done.

There is a brilliant adhesive on the market called larsen flex rapid white. Its a polymer based adhesive the type that will leave you removing the wall instead of the tiles when your taking it down.

Its orange and blue colour bag and is actually quite cheap however retails mark this up in line with the more expensive adhesive. Thats why you are better letting the trade buy it.

Any more questions folks just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gsp119

thanks joey, a wealth of knowledge

Advertisement