Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinosaurs to birds

Options
  • 10-02-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Bit of a random topic but I was having a discussion with a friend about modern birds being evolved from dinosaurs and I was kinda hitting a wall. They thought I was nuts but I'm right aren't I? Or is it just the prevailing hypothesis atm? Is it that all modern birds descended from dinos? Also did most dinos of a certain era fly then? I know people get confused when they are told that tyrannosaur rex and stegosaurus did not live at the same time, was there a particular "age" of flying dinosaurs and was this one of the final forms of dino that existed?

Thats a hell of a lot of questions I know, maybe I just need to spend more time googling, maybe you can recommend some good videos or something. Thanks!

Oh and whilst I was googling I came across this emu foot, looks very much like a dinosaur to me :) :

10rockyf.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Here's a nice short clip which answers one or two of your questions. I'll give you a more comprehensive answe in a while, as I'm just about to nip out the door. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer better than me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It is all but beyond doubt at this stage that birds evolved from therapod dinosaurs. Unfortunately I haven't time to give a decent reply now but I did a quick search and there is a full wikipedia page on the subject that is not half bad at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_birds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

marco_polo wrote: »
    It is all but beyond doubt at this stage that birds evolved from therapod dinosaurs. Unfortunately I haven't time to give a decent reply now but I did a quick search and there is a full wikipedia page on the subject that is not half bad at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_birds

Thanks. Obviously I did come across this as part of my googling, but it seemed a little bit technical on first glance. Call me lazy but I like nice videos that explain stuff. :D Anyway, thanks I'll give wiki another chance.

Advertisement