Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probability option

Options
  • 10-02-2010 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

I know there was a topic on this before but i never found the answer to an actual book soo....

I'm after starting my option...we're doing calculus, and i Hate it so much, i was really good at probability and would like to do it as an option, does anyone know where i could get notes on probability??
    a book or booklet or if anyone has any comprehensive notes they could email?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I find the Further Calculus and Series option very accessible. It may start off as being difficult and tedious but once you get to grips with it, it is actually very easy. Calculus has to be the easiest part of maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

You'll probably be hard pressed to find notes on Further Probability. Very few people do it.

This mightn't be what you want to hear right now, but don't give up on Further Calculus and Series just yet, especially if you've only just started it. I found it to be the easiest question on the entire paper, generally speaking. It's very predictable and not all that difficult if you prepare properly, so try and stick with it, for a while at least. The Maclaurin Series may look intimidating, but they're actually very simple and questions on them are rarely very challenging. Integration by parts is fine too, so you can easily get a good mark on this question with proper preparation, and it'll help your Paper One too (remember, there's two differentiation and one integration question every year, so you've no choice but to do one Calculus question minimum anyways, and most people do all three.)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

in the 1999 edition of texts and tests it covers da probability question further calculus and and groups.ask friends who have older brothers and sisters if they might have a copy lying around!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

eoins23456 wrote: »
    in the 1999 edition of texts and tests it covers da probability question further calculus and and groups.ask friends who have older brothers and sisters if they might have a copy lying around!

Are you sure that its the further probability "option" as opposed to the standard HL Probability chapter that is also in the current edition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

RexMundi wrote: »
    Are you sure that its the further probability "option" as opposed to the standard HL Probability chapter that is also in the current edition?

Yeah, it is indeed the option - I've seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

See these two threads:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055290254

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429626

In the first thread above, I incorrectly stated that Text&Tests had an accompanying booklet for this option, (and was corrected by another contributor). So, it would seem that the only way to get hold of OD Morris's material is, as already mentioned, to find a copy of the first edition.

The booklets accompanying Roantree's and Murphy's books definitely exist, although I'm not sure if they're still in print. Try the publishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

They have the Probability Option in the Revise Wise Maths Paper 2 book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

on this note, do u think doing an option at home is a possibilty? I just dont understand my one at all!

Advertisement