Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine Wood Floor?

• 10-02-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All,

Am about to have the whole botton of my house floored using wood. The rooms will be sitting room, kitchen and a small hallway. People are throwing in their ideas and one friend keeps advising me on Pine throughout as he got solid oak in his house a couple of years ago and is browned off with it already. The entire bottom floor is concrete and is uneven heading out to the kitchen as it is an extension and was built on a yard. Any advice on using pine or reasons not to? Is it expensive? Does it only come as solid? Does it need to be varnished? I know using solid will need wood laid down to tack it to.
    Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

pine is not that great. firstly its a very knotty wood. i dont thing it looks great at all. secondly its very soft it will mark very easily.

but with all solid wood floors takes more maintanance than laminate.

if your haeart is not set on solid i would go with laminate there is some seriously good stuff out there that might even be cheaper thasn pine and will be 10 times tougher.

pine in my books is a no no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

solid pine is very soft, it wouldn't last to long. and if you have lady callers with high heels forget it, once the high heels goes into the pine only by 2 or 3mm the dirt gets trapped in the holes, and after a very short time it looks very unsightly. high heels was just an example, even a small stone stuck on the bottom of your shoe will have the same effect.
    laminated would be the why to go, cheapest would be the click system no glue needed and very fast to lay.
    and its all pre-finished.
    good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Martron wrote: »
    pine is not that great. firstly its a very knotty wood. i dont thing it looks great at all. secondly its very soft it will mark very easily.

but with all solid wood floors takes more maintanance than laminate.

if your haeart is not set on solid i would go with laminate there is some seriously good stuff out there that might even be cheaper thasn pine and will be 10 times tougher.

pine in my books is a no no

+1 on that

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johnnyball

Cheers for reply folks!
    I got some samples from the guy who's gonna lay the floor for me and some of the laminated stuff looks great but I'm not mad on the shine from it although a guy I know with solid wood floors said there's a shine from his too. I'm also thinking of my cousin's place and the floor is laminated with a walnut colour to it which is the coulour or look I want but without sounding like a snob or being too fussy, it doesn't have that cosy feeling from it or it feels a bit cheap or false or something. What about semi solid? I know it marks also but maybe it will have that warmer less cheap shiny feel to it? Do the marks eventually add a bit of character to a place? I think the pine idea is gone now as it does seem too soft going by what you folk are saying. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Semi-solid will look exactly the same as solid, there will be no difference because the top layer is 3-5mm thick real wood. Nearly all semi-solid comes pre-finished in either matt, satin or gloss laquer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the laminate wears brilliantly. there is some very effective wood simulations. and to be honest they retain their lustre longer so its acually better maintainnace and price wise .

and for the kings of wooden flooring in my opinion is oak. so see how your mates floor is wearing and see what you think of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

laminate is the hardest wearing best value solution

pm me if you want a price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

Most of the ground floor in my house was done with pine (toungue and groove). This was done by the previous owners.
    When I moved in it was looking pretty shabby, I sanded it down and re-varnished it. (3 coats)
    But two years later its ready for sanding again.
    I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it looks better than laminate initially but doesn't stand the test of time at all.

One room downstairs was carpetted, I replaced this with a good quality laminate two years ago and it still looks as good as the day it went down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

same as i put down T/G larch , looked lovely .but i will take it up this summer .its gone every rough looking

Advertisement