Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting The Timing Right

Options
  • 10-02-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

We have a 8 month old Springer Spaniel who is very boisterous, but so lovable. When we got him he was only 3 months old and we didn't have the heart to put him out the back garden so young. His kennel is in the kitchen, but we had always intended to move him out to the back yard in spring time.

We are going to get him neutered.

And, I'm expecting our first baby in June!!

Please can someone give me some good advice on the best way to time all this - as I don't want the poor dog to end up with his balls cut off, in the back yard and usurped by a baby in the house!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Is it really important to get him outside?
    Would you put a kennel out for daytime use, and get him used to going out for a while at a time, and maybe leave him sleep in the kitchen/utility or somewhere?
    Neutering isn't that big a thing, he'll be drowsey for couple of days, and then pretty much back to normal a few days later.
    If you want to get him used to the baby, it might be better to keep him close from the start, or maybe talk to a trainer about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

What brings him to being moved outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mossy_Da_Dog

Good question.

Our kitchen isn't really big enough for a family and a very energetic dog (and his kennel). Also, when he's in the kitchen during the day, I imagine he gets a bit bored with only his toys to play with... if he was outside he'd have more things to sniff and investigate..

Good idea re. the moving him out during the day for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I would do as mymo suggested and have a kennel outside but instead of having whole room for him to sleep in i would maybe try using a crate for him to sleep in.

That way you have the best of both worlds, he is outside when you want him to be with a bed but at night times or just during the day for short spells if you need him to be secure you can try a crate.

He sleeps in the same place every night. His kennel is inside (with the roof off) so it's like a large crate anyway... is your concept of a crate different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

a crate has a door on it, its like a little doggy cave good for toilet training. its good if you had worries that the dog would be wandering around at night or not supervised during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A crate is just that, a metal cage that can be folded flat for storage, I put a blanket over the crates so they're less like doggy jail and more like a cave. Both my dogs are indoors and sleep in crates at night, in the hall, but you can leave them anywhere, my friend has one that goes under the kitchen table.
    One of my dogs asks to go to bed or goes himself, I just have to let him out to the toilet and he comes in and goes to bed.
    I know springers are very active, have you tried training him in the evenings, sit, lie down, fetch(my fav, sit on sofa and throw toys:D) or doggy puzzles, kongs and the like? Wears them out mentally.
    It's probably best start a routine now and build it up gradually, so it's all well established by the time the baby comes.
    (congratulations by the way:))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Firstly, congratulations on the pending arrival - hope you have a beautiful, happy and healthy baby!

Dogs tend to do much better when they are able to live as part of a family, inside the house with all the comings and goings. Unless your garden is an acre, with loads of stuff to check out, your dog will get just as bored after a day or two outside as he will inside. Because he is already living indoors he could get very upset being put outside, leading to stress behaviour. Springers are diggers (speaking from my own experience here) and like a lot "working" dogs, most will be barkers. If they are isolated they can get into bad habits very quickly - and can drive both you and your neighbours crazy. Dogs also like to be part of a group - they are very social - and can become very stressed if they feel lonely or separated. Springers are very active dogs and regardless of whether he is indoors or outdoors he will need a lot of exercises and mental stimulation or he will get frustrated and behaviour problems will develop. With regular exercises he will be much calmer and happier in himself, regardless of whether he is inside or outside.

With regards to the dog and your (soon to be) new baby - start as you mean to continue. If you don't want the dog jumping on the baby or on the crib etc. don't let him do it from the very beginning. Make very strict ground rules for you dog and stick to them from the time the baby is brought home and you should be ok. If the dog is inside, it will be easier to implement these rules regularly. Personally, I would recommend that you try to continue having your dog inside living as part of the family.

On the neutering - as mymo said - not too much of a big deal if it all goes smoothly. For the males it is not a major operation and they get over it quickly. The only thing to be aware of is making sure the stitches are kept clean and the dog is not licking them excessively after the op. Once they come out he will not even remember he had them in!

If you do decide to put your dog into the back garden, make sure it is fully enclosed and try to do it gradually. Let him sleep inside like he has been doing until he gets used to being outside and try in increase outside time gradually - starting with only half an hour and building it up. If you just put him outside outright initially he will be very confused and upset. Good luck with whatever choice you make!

Thanks everyone for your very helpful comments - you've given me something to think about. Mossy may be saved from being banished to the outside after all! I'd hate to uproot him and move him out if he's going to be bored/miserable and barking all the time.

Will have to discuss and see - maybe try him outside during the day. Get some fresh air on him when I'm working...

Cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

There is a great book called 'Happy kids, happy dogs' by Barbara Schmannfang that is a terrific guide for soon to be parents who currently share their life with a dog.all aspects of preparing your dog for a new additon are covered.
    find it on amazon or dogwise.com

• Advertisement

Thanks - have ordered it, tis on its way. Always handy to have a book to refer to I always think.

Advertisement