Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill Mountain Marathon - First timer ??

• 10-02-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I am intrigued by the sound of this, especially after the Achill ROAR was one of my favourite events of last year!

It's on on the May bank holiday weekend.

Can anyone offer any help in terms of training, equipment and map reading for this? I have just ordered some books from amazon re. navigation and orienteering as it's a while ago since I was in the scouts!!

Was thinking of entering the B class with my mate, but wondering if it is too much for a first timer .

Thanks folks.....S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

Nothing wrong with trying the B class. I started at that level many many years ago.

For navigation.... practice practice practice. Do any orienteering events you can. Set out a course for yourself during the week on a map (or get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you), and then go and try and follow it on a walk/run during the weekend.

For training... do lots of big hillwalks. Get a good structured running programme going if you want to do well. It's basically a two stage ultra race with navigation.

For equipment... lightweight is best, but not so light as to loose required functionality. Minimise what you carry with you.. no luxuries, just essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

The B class is only 45km over two days so it shouldn't be too bad.

Its a strange Mountain Marathon because you don't have to carry your kit - by kit i mean tent, sleeping bag, food for 2 days etc, probably making it more friendly to get a larger market.

Nav wise - don't leave where you know you are until you know how you want to get to where you want to go! :)

Advertisement