Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding door rollers

Options
  • 10-02-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

The rollers on the bottom of the sliding door are jamming. Is it possible to buy them off the shelf or would one have to go to the original supplier?
    Am in the Galway area
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If its a weatherglazed front door you would be best off trying to remove the door turn it upside down and clean them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

there's probably 10 years of crap in them...

Take the door down, remove them and leave them steep in white spirits or the likes. When in the spirits roll them around this will free up all the stuff inside them. Then steep them in oil for a while, pop them back on, the'll be as good as new.

Done this a few years ago to mine, they are as good as new ever since..

Yes dont forget to re oil them if you steep them as white spirit is dangerous to PVC and dries out rollers.

ps. dont steep a pvc door.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

a good squirt of the magical wd40 how would we live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

mossie110 wrote: »
    a good squirt of the magical wd40 how would we live without it.

By using decent lubricants designed for the job. WD40 was designed as a water displacement agent and actually has little or no lubricating qualities.

Good on wet distributor caps in the days they were about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Will do

cnocbui wrote: »
    By using decent lubricants designed for the job. WD40 was designed as a water displacement agent and actually has little or no lubricating qualities.

Good on wet distributor caps in the days they were about.

Agree WD40 is actually only a freeing agent. If you do not lubricate afterwords the part where WD40 was applied will actually dry up and crack.

Many manufacturers of simular product have changed its title to reflect this. Some have attempted to ad oil. My own opinion is this would never work as the agent generally used to free seems to react with oil.

On that note every house should have a tin of 3 in 1 oil perfect for this job once all the hair and gunk is cleared from the rollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

nearly ever job im called to .to look at patio doors not sliding well need new wheels its not a big job to change out them but its so worth it the door is so smooth after it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Try a good scoop of Vaseline and smear it on the track, then run the door over it a couple of times. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Im going to try the clean the roller method - but in case that doesnt work - and i need to replace them... where do I go looking for parts?

sorry to drag the ole thread up - but it had part of the answer i was looking for...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

yankinlk wrote: »
    Im going to try the clean the roller method - but in case that doesnt work - and i need to replace them... where do I go looking for parts?

sorry to drag the ole thread up - but it had part of the answer i was looking for...
    Take a few pictures and measurements of the rollers, reduce image size of pics and and then get on the net, if you have web access:)

Mila in Kilbarrick are a good place to start www dot mila dot ie
    as is
    Universal Products on Nangor Road
    Tel: 00353 1-456 4151

(if the references get killed by a mod PM me)

I find if you ask nicely they will refer you elsewhere in case they dont have them.
    While both of these places are "trade Only' cash in hand risk an amputation in current climate

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

if you need to change the wheels, its not really for the inexperienced to try. first off. if the door is aluminium, the wheels are fixed from inside the bottom rail, so you will have to dismantle the door to get at them. its one thing to pull it apart, putting it back is not so easy.

if the door is pvc, they are generally built so that they cannot be lifted out of the frame as a security feature. they are very heavy and need to be deglazed before you try to remove it. to deglaze the door you must first of all deglaze the panel.

you need the right tools, or you could take lumps out of the frame and/or break the glass.

the other thing that you must look at anytime the door is not gliding, is the track its rolling on. if a wheel is seized up and dragging, it can butcher the track. if you fix the wheel only, the problem will re occur.

you shouldn't need to take sizes if you want to get the wheels. single wheel or double wheel. if the door is ancient you might have to bore new holes to fit it, but otherwise they're pretty universal. the track if needed is a not so easy and you might be looking for a long time.

mila and universal are trade only, and might not entertain you. universal have a 75 euro minimum order. so save yourself the hours in sourcing the parts and the possible headache in fitting them and call the tradesmen for the tough jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I am totally a DISE (Do it somebodyelse) kinda guy - and would happily pay someone to come out and take a look. But even in a recession I find it hard to get someone to do the small jobs!

I was quoted 2170 euro to replace this sliding glass door - no mention of even "having a look" at the rollers.

That kinda money motivated me quick to get off my own rear end and remove the door (with a freinds help to lift) and clean the rollers. Found a dead snail, and years of grease dried up and gunk.

Unscrewed the rollers, a bit of oven cleaner did the job in 2 minutes, blast of the hose, and WD40 before they were put back on. Hardest part was lifting them back on the track.

Result: doors are a one hander to open once again, and I can have a holiday for the cash I saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

yankinlk wrote: »
    I am totally a DISE (Do it somebodyelse) kinda guy - and would happily pay someone to come out and take a look. But even in a recession I find it hard to get someone to do the small jobs!

I was quoted 2170 euro to replace this sliding glass door - no mention of even "having a look" at the rollers.

That kinda money motivated me quick to get off my own rear end and remove the door (with a freinds help to lift) and clean the rollers. Found a dead snail, and years of grease dried up and gunk.

Unscrewed the rollers, a bit of oven cleaner did the job in 2 minutes, blast of the hose, and WD40 before they were put back on. Hardest part was lifting them back on the track.

Result: doors are a one hander to open once again, and I can have a holiday for the cash I saved.
    well done mate " you only know you can do something if you try it" thats my motto

Advertisement